Apple Pulls Products from Environmental EPEAT Registry

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple has notified the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) that it is withdrawing its products from the EPEAT registry and will no longer be submitting its products to EPEAT for environmental rating. CIO Journal spoke with Robert Frisbee, CEO of EPEAT, who offered slightly more color to the decision:
    EPEAT certification requires certain standards that make the machines easy to disassemble and recycle using common tools. Apple's recent Mac products, such as the Retina MacBook Pro, are difficult to fully disassemble making them ineligible for certification. iFixIt explains:
    The move could have a financial impact on Apple's sales. CIO Reports that many corporations require EPEAT certified computers. Meanwhile, the U.S. government requires 95% of electronics purchases also be EPEAT certified.

The move does not seem to affect Apple's popular iPhone and iPad devices, as they are presently a class of product not certified by EPEAT.

Article Link: Apple Pulls Products from Environmental EPEAT Registry

2. macrumors member

At first this seemed like nothing important. But that fact about the government and EPEAT technologies... Wasn't apple going to introduce iPads into the FAA?

3. macrumors 68020

macingman

Interesting, I guess in the pursuit of thiness Apple is forced to use things which aren't enviromentally friendly like glue or whatever. Interesting as Apple used to use enviromental friendliness as a major selling point a few years back.

4. macrumors 68000

Good for Apple. These groups are no different than the mob demanding protection money from shop owners so they remain safe from the mob.

5. macrumors member

Power Macintosh

6. macrumors 68030

EPEAT certification requires certain standards that make the machines easy to disassemble and recycle using common tools.

*Stops wondering why Apple pulled products*

7. macrumors 65816

east85

This is a pretty sad moment, honestly. I mean this was helpful on the user end as well, even if you don't give a crap about the environment. It made their products more easily repairable and accessible for maintenance.

8. macrumors regular

Who cares about the safety of the planet, I just want my computer to be a few millimeters thinner!

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Seems tablets aren't EPEAT certifiable, so it doesn't' affect iPads or iPhones

arn

10. macrumors regular

Exactly. So many Apple fans will demonize EPEAT over this in an attempt to brush over what a lame move by Apple this is. The stereotype that Mac users are nothing but liberals who pretend to care about social and environmental issues but deep down really don't care at all is validated by this move on Apple's part. Bypassing EPEAT just to have a new barely thinner laptop to release each year to please the crowds is not really the kind of company I like to do business with.

11. macrumors 68000

Can't literally ripping a computer apart and smelting the metal be environmentally friendly?

Does recycle mean reuse in the standard? I got plenyt of old Dells that I can recycle but nobody would reuse their ancient parts. Actually most places want to charge me to recycle the,.

This all sounds like bureaucracy that Apple has already figured out a better way to deal with it?

Just wondering....

12. macrumors P6

Peace

If other laptop makers use the same basic design as the Air then they might be doing the same.

13. macrumors regular

Exactly! I concreted my theory that apple has become predominantly about money and market share when the retina Macbook was released.

It's pretty disgusting IMO as I would have thought apple was design conscious towards environmental issues. As it turns out they were just using the whole thing as leverage for marketing and pushing sales as being "environmentally conscious" was trending. They worked around that and used it as their sales key.

Apples intentions are becoming more apparent as time goes on, first the macbook airs (which wasn't a bad idea) then the retina MBP designs... again, focusing on trends to maximize sales and furthermore charging unjustifiable prices for initial BTO upgrades.

Congrats apple, turns out you don't care for the environment... or anything else but power, money and market share.

14. macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Honestly, does this surprise you? Everyone gets greedy. Why can't apple?

15. macrumors 68000

TMar

While I don't agree with the standard itself, this part of it is about if I have a faulty batter in my new macbook pro it's almost unrepairable. This isn't machines being repaired years after their prime but new machines being wasted because they are highly unrepairable.

16. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Bad for Apple's business if they can't sell their products in some places. I don't like these groups either, but business isn't about rebellion.

----------

You have a battery in your Mac Pro? Lucky. I asked if I could install one, and the only reply I got was "no".

17. macrumors regular

Sure apple use aluminium and recycled glass ect ect ect. That is only one aspect (of many) of the concept of a product being environmentally friendly.

Knowing apple they will come up with a few schemes to combat this claim, such as offering to upgrade and recycle apple products for a price. Again keeping all money generated in apples pockets.

18. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

From what the article said, it looks more like Apple's laptops just can't be judged by EPEAT due to incompatibilities with their rating system, but I wouldn't be surprised if the thinner laptops were harder to recycle.

----------

How about Mac leasing?

19. macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in apple. I always appreciated the fact that these computers were highly recyclable and better on the environment than most electronics now a days. I figured apple would somehow develop a way to get these batteries off safely so they can be recycled.

If this is the way technology is going to become, getting smaller and lighter but less conscious about the world we live in then I'm not for it.:(

20. macrumors 68000

TMar

It was edited prior to your post but nice try.

21. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

The soldered-on RAM is not nice.

----------

Oh. I was actually serious about trying to get a battery into my Mac Pro. It seems more sensible than an external UPS, and I think the iMacs should have small laptop batteries in them.

22. macrumors regular

Apple isn't a bank where making more money is their business.

Apple has more of a responsibility given their impact on society as a innovative tech company, when you design a iphone, ipad, ipod you should consider the ethics of design, this is apple this isn't some small Chinese company trying to get out of bankruptcy by selling cheap crap.

Apple built their reputation on what others didn't do! That is the apple that I loved. Do you want to see apple turn into a windows or equivalent.

23. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I don't see this making a big environmental impact, but Apple should be more responsible about recycling now that their products require more specialized tools to disassemble.

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

From what I've read glass bonded directly to aluminium like Apple is doing w/the new rMBP and iPad renders the material not recyclable.

25. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

He heard the news on his macbook whilst riding around in his Chevy Suburban.