Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I've worked for a couple non-profits as well as corporations, they operate the same way. People always trying to move up, show more profit and step on people to move up. The higher-ups like to see that because it makes more money and keeps them in their director roles since the npo is making money.

So, you didn't make a lot of money this quater or whatever? You're fired.

That's not very surprising, and it seems like any organization gets a free pass as long as they look like a charity, but there must be some non-profits that aren't all about making money. I'm pretty sure all corporations are about making money.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
If yes, then exactly, you shouldn't be running a business, regardless working your 9-5 contributes to this cycle as well so... rinse and repeat. Also, Apple probably contributes more money to the environment than you will in five lifetimes.

That's hilarious, I really don't think Steve Jobs sat around in India or in his counter culture interests thinking.... I want to make the most money I can, I want to be filthy rich.

Jobs lived a modest and private life, it's been well documented. He worked hard for his company that cared not about money but making good products. These great products brought good sales and in turn $$$. Jobs was smart, he didn't build the company trying to make money, he made money from selling is great ideas.

Also, Apple probably contributes more money to the environment than you will in five lifetimes.

Sorry no, as an architect I personally choose to solve problems putting environmental and eco issues as a priority. Again proportionally apple only gives the smallest %, in monetary values this may look big but they could do plenty more if they wanted. You're not bright enough to realize that, your homework is to read this http://www.apple.com/environment/.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I am giggling at some of the reactions here. Sure, the MacBook pro retina is less user serviceable, but that wouldn't significantly effect its recyclability. It's not as though user servicing is all that common, and the poster complianing about not being able to take along a spare battery: seriously? Must be a blackberry user.

Even then, the soldered-on RAM is bogus. It's a trick to make people have to buy more RAM from Apple instead of just upgrading.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
If you don't agree with whatever Apple is doing and need to make a dramatic statement, stop buying the products and move on your life.

I have been back on windows for almost 3 years. I bought a 2011 macbook but returned it. And I use and prefer android currently.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Jobs was smart, he didn't build the company trying to make money, he made money from selling is great ideas.

Isn't selling your great ideas "trying to make money"? Sure people make companies based on what they love and what they're interested in, but the goal is to make money.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Just goes to show what a joke these environmental groups are becoming. If it were up to them we'd all be using iPhones made out of trees and mother earth rubbish. The only reason governments should be buying products is cause they get the job done.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
While I don't agree with the standard itself, this part of it is about if I have a faulty batter in my new macbook pro it's almost unrepairable. This isn't machines being repaired years after their prime but new machines being wasted because they are highly unrepairable.

Since Apple will replace any battery for a fixed price, I cannot see how a faulty battery would be "almost unrepairable".

From what the article said, it looks more like Apple's laptops just can't be judged by EPEAT due to incompatibilities with their rating system, but I wouldn't be surprised if the thinner laptops were harder to recycle.

I'm sure they are somewhat harder to recycle. However, you can return any Apple product to Apple and Apple will recycle it; in many cases you will get some money off a new purchase. And while say a Retina MacBook Pro may not be recyclable with "commonly available tools", I would bet that Apple has the tools to recycle it.

Even then, the soldered-on RAM is bogus. It's a trick to make people have to buy more RAM from Apple instead of just upgrading.

Soldered RAM is cheaper, takes less space, and gives better connections. There are excellent technical reasons for soldered RAM. Of course you lose the ability to upgrade, which is a disadvantage, but there are definitely advantages.

Last edited:

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Just goes to show what a joke these environmental groups are becoming. If it were up to them we'd all be using iPhones made out of trees and mother earth rubbish. The only reason governments should be buying products is cause they get the job done.

Apple gets certified by environmental group?
Praise apple for being environmentally conscious.

Apple opt for a design change that won't get them certification anymore?
Attack environmental groups.

If it were up to them we'd all be using iPhones made out of trees and mother earth rubbish.
This though is the best thing I 've read all day, hilarious and priceless.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple gets certified by environmental group?
Praise apple for being environmentally conscious.

Apple opt for a design change that won't get them certification anymore?
Attack environmental groups.

That pretty much sums up the behavior of fan boys. Nothing more to say.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
This is a bit disappointing; all they real needed to do was find a way to make the batteries removable in the newer laptops, which I can't believe was beyond Apple's capabilities.

An easily removable keyboard on the laptops could surely expose the inner workings; even if most of it wasn't user serviceable the point is really to avoid glueing everything, after all there are tons of tiny screws out there that they could have used, or even small spacers that pack everything together would have allowed them to hold things in place without it being impossible to disassemble.

Even if it were impossible for laptops (don't believe it) then they should at least be making the iMac and Mac Mini a bit easier; while the Mac Mini's RAM access was a great addition, the relative difficulty of accessing the internal drive(s) was still a bit of a downer.

Can they not submit individual products for certification? They have to at least make sure the Mac Pro remains certified as the current model is pretty easy to disassemble; it's a pain in the arse and can be a bit time consuming, but it's not difficult.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Who cares, they'll still make them without all the BFR, PVC, mercury etc. or the media will be all over them.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Interesting. EPEAT Gold is a requirement for all computers purchased by my employer. I guess the Apple project just got cancelled.

3PO

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Try building computer like the new MacBook Pro which is just as thin, light, durable and sturdy with the the upgrade options you are talking here. If you can maybe you should apply for job at Apple or some other company to show how it’s done.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Try building computer like the new MacBook Pro which is just as thin, light, durable and sturdy with the the upgrade options you are talking here. If you can maybe you should apply for job at Apple or some other company to show how it’s done.

Given a few months I'm sure Lenovo will manage it just fine. And it'll be EPEAT certified. It might be .02" thicker but that's just fine my me. Thinness isn't everything.

Invariably in the business world if you give someone a smaller and lighter laptop they just carry more paperwork around to make up for it. I call it Magic's law of upper management.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011

Thin? Like the 1 mm difference in thickness between the Google Nexus 7 and the new iPad?

And please explain how propriety screws make Apple products more thin, light, durable, and sturdy.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
From reading the article, the problem isn't that the kit can't be recycled; it's that it can't be recycled by just anybody.

I suspect that Apple just wants all its unwanted kit returned to them. They can take the parts and reuse them in new/refurbished products. I also think that they're trying to avoid a future where folk buy a new thin and shiny laptop that is actually made up of components salvaged from dumped Apple stuff.

No matter how much folk here bang on about being able to open up their laptops and change this and upgrade that, the vast majority of machines are never opened, never upgraded and dumped in a landfill when a better model comes out.

So I don't have a problem with Apple pulling out of this scheme, but they have to have something better to replace it with, and with an incentive for people to actually use it.

Ashwee

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
England
Bad move Apple, at least show some interest in the environment, a few screws won't hurt anyone

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu

There's no "trick" involved. You know that is not upgradable before you buy it. Or you figure it out inside of two weeks & return/exchange it. There is no slight of hand going on here.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Apple isn't a bank where making more money is their business.

Apple has more of a responsibility given their impact on society as a innovative tech company, when you design a iphone, ipad, ipod you should consider the ethics of design, this is apple this isn't some small Chinese company trying to get out of bankruptcy by selling cheap crap.

Apple built their reputation on what others didn't do! That is the apple that I loved. Do you want to see apple turn into a windows or equivalent.

BS. Making money is Apple's business. Where do you think the dollars for innovation come from, goodwill.

----------

Exactly! I concreted my theory that apple has become predominantly about money and market share when the retina Macbook was released.

It's pretty disgusting IMO as I would have thought apple was design conscious towards environmental issues. As it turns out they were just using the whole thing as leverage for marketing and pushing sales as being "environmentally conscious" was trending. They worked around that and used it as their sales key.

Apples intentions are becoming more apparent as time goes on, first the macbook airs (which wasn't a bad idea) then the retina MBP designs... again, focusing on trends to maximize sales and furthermore charging unjustifiable prices for initial BTO upgrades.

Congrats apple, turns out you don't care for the environment... or anything else but power, money and market share.

I look forward to seeing you on the news in front of Cupertino with an environmental protest sign.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As I mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago, as the MBPr construction was revealed, this is an example of the incredible hypocrisy & arrogance of Apple.

I'm such a die hard Apple enthusiast, I love their laptops, their OS, and so much more.

Yet it's stunts like this that are so repulsive.

Not that long ago, one of the centerpieces of their ad campaign was them bragging about being the greenest, most environmentally responsible manufacturer of laptops & iToyz.

Only Apple could get away with such bad behavior with little or no push back from customers & the press.

Apple Inc, the masters of smoke & mirrors hype, hypocritical attacks on opponents, and legal lunacy. If they had a conscience & cared, they'd be embarrassed.

Yet with Apples cult like followers, and Al Gores backing perhaps they'll win an award for their new disclosures :eek:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
From reading the article, the problem isn't that the kit can't be recycled; it's that it can't be recycled by just anybody.

I suspect that Apple just wants all its unwanted kit returned to them. They can take the parts and reuse them in new/refurbished products. I also think that they're trying to avoid a future where folk buy a new thin and shiny laptop that is actually made up of components salvaged from dumped Apple stuff.

No matter how much folk here bang on about being able to open up their laptops and change this and upgrade that, the vast majority of machines are never opened, never upgraded and dumped in a landfill when a better model comes out.

So I don't have a problem with Apple pulling out of this scheme, but they have to have something better to replace it with, and with an incentive for people to actually use it.

Hmm, I dunno... Such a system of recycling would seem to become more closed and under less scrutiny. "Send them to us, we'll take care of it". Sure takes a lot of confidence in their brand to believe they'll spend a ton of resources they didn't need to spend before to recycle their own new, improved hard-to-recycle computers!

I'm pretty sure it's in the best interests of the environment to allow any organization to recycle the machines, and that more users will care for upgrading their computers than worry about 1-2mm added in thickness, even despite only a minority upgrading.

I think Apple has crossed a thickness line here. They're now even hurting their brand as an environmentally-friendly designer. This implies that Apple believes that a typical Apple customer will choose thin computers over more environmentally sound competitors. This strategy will work if Apple is correct.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.