Apple punishes students

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Okay, here is my little rant. I bought the edu version of FCP 3 while still in school, and it's just come to my attention that, while the same as the normal version of FCP, the edu version has it's own upgrade path. So I'm gonna have to buy the next full version at full retail price, instead of just buying an upgrade.

Personally, I'm kinda annoyed. I wonder if this is going to be true for all academic software (Office, etc.)

Lethal

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That is often the case, unfortunately. Sorry... :(

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

No offense, but think about it this way.

You buy it now as a student for 399 right.

Next time you get if for 999 right.

I buy it now for 999.

Next time I buy it for 499.

It boils down to the same, but you pay less now. Just be glad they care enough to do anything. Sorry for the rant, and good luck in school.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But you are talking about FCP, any other comparable software package would cost you even more, so I wouldn't be too offended.

5. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not horribly upset over it (and yeah, I did the "math" and saw I'd pay the same in the end anyway).

More of a knee-jerk "Dude, that's not PC!" than actually being pissed over it.

Shozbot.

Lethal

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a better math.

I go and get it from HL for free.

Then, I may get the upgrade for free if the is a hacked version of it.

If I do not like the upgrad, I will be using my Premiere 6 any way.:)

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

stay in school. got FCP 2 for $399, and the upgrade to 3 for $199.

Also, I want to assure the rest of the world that no one else in Indiana says "shozbot". It's just him. Honest.

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Apple is pretty good to students. i'm about to get a new 667MHz TiBook with 512MB RAM. normal retail with 256MB RAM is $5795, i'm getting it with the 512MB for $5444. Apple Australia also has a deal with Nikon- you can get $200 off the Nikon 775. Apple definitely looks after students.:)

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I agree..... but can you type it any louder :D and arn says don't talk about warez on this site

10. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The whole reason I bought a Mac was 'cause I couldn't stand to use Premiere 6 on my PC. lol I think I like FCP so much better partly because the UI is very AVID like and AVID was what I learned to edit with. For me using Premiere was like pulling teeth... But the real time audio mixer is cool. FCP needs something like that.

Lethal

11. Inhale420 macrumors regular

umm, yeah just be glad they care enough to fool consumer into thinking they're getting a deal. that's the whole point.

lol, another person who has to unconditionally defend apple.

12. Baseline macrumors member

My GOD it pisses me off when people pirate software. You're stealing from hardworking people.

I'm a software developer myself. Now, I tend to do firmware, and software that's only needed if you buy our hardware, but damn, I'd be furious if I found out someone was pirating my work.

To all of you graphic artists out there: How would you feel if someone just stole some of your designs and used them without your permission or knowledge? It's the same thing.

I know I'm not breaking any new ground by saying any of this, but I had to get it off my chest. There are TOO many people on this forum that say they use HL and other such filth to get software for their computers.

And I don't want to hear any complaints about "It's too expensive, I have to pirate it!" If you can't afford it, then the LAW says you can't have it. I want a brand new Porsche, but I can't afford it. That doesn't give me the right to go steal it!

13. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Or you enroll in a local community college, take one class for about $150, and still get the student pricing! :D

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.