Apple Purchased in 2007. Apple's New Tablet Called iSlate?

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 24, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

With rumors of the Apple tablet reaching new highs, MacRumors has found evidence of that Apple acquired the domain name presumably in preparation for the new device.

The domain was originally registered in October 2004 by a comany called Eurobox Ltd. It since changed hands to Data Docket, Inc. in 2006. In 2007, however, the domain was transferred to registrar MarkMonitor handles domain name registrations and trademark protections for many companies including Apple. As typical, however, the name of the actual registrant was initially hidden to obscure the identify of the actual owner. Up until this point, one could still easily dismiss all this as a simple coincidence.

However, after further investigation of the domain name registrant history, it seems Apple's name was temporarily exposed as the actual owner of "" for several weeks in late 2007. It was changed back within a few weeks, but MacRumors has found the historic record proving Apple ownership of the domain:

Historic Whois record for currently points to no website. Apple is rumored to be announcing an Apple tablet in early 2010 and given this evidence "iSlate" seems a likely candidate for the device's name.

Thanks to Mark Gurman from for first pointing us in the direction of

Article Link: Apple Purchased in 2007. Apple's New Tablet Called iSlate?
  2. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Yet more evidence that the Apple Tablet is coming!
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT

I really hope they don't call it the iSlate...
  4. macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2005
    Fairbanks, AK
    Might I be the first to say that is an awful name.
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    I hope that really is the name of the tablet..
  6. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2008
  7. macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Nov 10, 2008
    iSlate..I don't know..That sounds pretty good, although it also could kinda sound like "iRock" or "iStone" don't want to sound stone age. :)
  8. macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2008
    It's better than "iTablet", "MacBook Nano" or recycling "iBook" (there are some of those still in service, after all).

Good scoop, Arn. :)
  9. macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    Jason Chen talked about the name 'making sense.' I feel Slate is perfectly applicable. The 'i' makes sense in front of phone but slate should be it's own.

I'd buy a Slate.
  10. macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2009
    People register domains like it's going out of style. Particularly corporations. Hell, Verizon owns ''. I know people with tiny companies that own dozens of vaguely related domains simply because they don't want a potential competitor or disgruntled customer with ill will to gank it and use it against them. I think Apple owning means very, very little.
  11. macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
  12. macrumors 6502a

Nov 4, 2009
    WOW, that would be a terrible name.....For anything! And yes the I prefix is getting real old!
  13. macrumors G3

Jul 25, 2007
    Probably nothing. They needed to protect the i* names for trademark reasons, and registration costs pocket change.
  14. macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2008
    The editor of the NY Times DID call it the 'Apple Slate'.

They will never get the domain name for, since that's an on-line magazine (originally started by Microsoft, ironically).

The Apple Slate sounds nice. iSlate just sounds...stupid.
  15. macrumors 68040

Jun 20, 2007
    I think the name Slate is better than iSlate, but whatever. Sounds better than most of the names being tossed around.
  16. macrumors 68000

Aug 24, 2008
    iSlate isn't totally horrible. Would have liked iPad better. It doesn't have the same ring as iPhone. Anyway what's in a name?
  17. macrumors 65816

Dec 18, 2008
    Christiansburg, VA

I would agree here, myself. iSlate is still better than iTablet; though either name could be discarded for the better. MacTablet has my vote until I see or hear of a better name.
  18. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    well, not if you buy it from an existing owner.

19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'm conflicted on this name. I am hoping that the tablet, if/when released, would be available without contract lock-in. This diminishes my hopes a little bit. I would think that if this was designed as a more fully featured device, it would carry the "Mac" prefix carried by Apple's computing products (with the exception of the iMac, but that's been around for a decade). With this name, my impression is that the tablet might not be as fully featured as I had hoped; it could possibly be sold under a contract plan, as with the iPhone and AT&T. Hopefully this isn't very bad news. Of course, this is all ramblings based off of a domain name registration. Regardless, I'm crossing my fingers.
  20. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    I hate the name.

How about an iTab? iTap?

idk, I want it to start with an i prefix with a T immediately following... and maybe it should end in an X?
  21. macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2009

Look, first it was e, and now it is i. Would you rather it be o?

Or u?

22. macrumors 68000

Aug 24, 2008
    Except that from all evidence this is not a Mac though I hope it has more of the capabilities of the Mac OS.
  23. macrumors 601

Jul 20, 2008
    It just told me that it'll probably be under the "i" family of devices and run iPhone OS (using corresponding hardware) instead of being under the "Mac" family of devices (using corresponding hardware). Agreed that an "i" device won't be as fully featured as a "Mac" device, but I don't think that necessarily means a contract.

iTap sounds like an Apple faucet.

24. macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2008
    No, that is almost worse than "i". Apple pulls out the "X" or the word "Pro" whenever some product is too badass/hardcore for an "i"

-Mac OS X
    -Quicktime X
    -Somewhere in Final Cut (actually Compressor) is "CompressorTranscoderX"
    -There's a rumor about "Aperture X"
    -Final Cut Pro
    -Logic Pro
    -MacBook Pro
    -Mac Pro
    -Soundtrack Pro
    -Quicktime Pro
  25. macrumors 603

Jan 8, 2009
    Well, I know opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one lol, but here's mine.

iDon't like it. MacTab or MacAnything would be a better option in my opinion. Then again, I also didn't like the rudimentary "iPhone" when it was announced. For a device that is more than a "phone", I thought iMobile would have been better.