Apple pushes for next-gen 600Mbps Wi-Fi standard as member o...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 10, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Didn't see any comments attributed to Apple directly pushing the standards in this article, only ones from an Intel VP.
    Sounds great for beaming around the house, but being out in the sticks, I won't be bringing in HDTV signals down my wires in real time until they upgrade the infrastructure to the exchange. :(

3. Moderator emeritus

I just hope that they can agree on the same something...soon. I've seen one company with "Pre-N" equipment and that's just not a good idea, even though that fruit company did something similar before 802.11g was ratified.

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

"That fruit company" had a firmware update to make it standards-compliant though :)

5. Moderator emeritus

I know, and other companies supposedly made their equipment fully compliant, as well. However, you look at any advertisement in Sunday's newspaper and there are various double-speed or more modes that are incompatible and I still hear of people having trouble using Apple computers with various wireless routers, etc. I'm sure I'm generalising far too much but my point is that with ever-increasing speeds, compatibility should be the number one concern.

6. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I'm not at all suprised. Apple is going for the home entertainment system in some form or another and that requires streaming video which requires something more powerful then 802.11G