Apple Q&A on BBC Website

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jan 12, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Interesting... the new Mac mini and iPod shuffle are certainly getting some coverage. :)

Rinky dink link

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It's a very positive angle on it - aside from a few jokes about Apple's new products both not coming with a screen.

It mentions the pros of better security and actually tries to dispel some of the compatibility and price concerns that some have.

And it's on the front page of BBC News - one of the most visited UK sites - which hopefully will raise the profile further

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Up and till I read this article my friend (PC person) thought the mini Mac was a waste of time but he's changed his mind.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Interesting read. I kind of see this as the "do-or-die" Mac: it'll finally shut up all those people who've harped on the theme of Apple being doomed because Macs are too expensive; it answers all the critics who said the Cube would have been the perfect computer at a lower price point; and it answers all the pleadings of the Mac community for a cheap headless Mac.

Either this thing will sell like hotcakes, and prove all the pundits and critics and Mac users right about the whole "must decrease price to increase marketshare" thing, or it won't move the marketshare more than a few tenths-of-points, and everyone will start talking about how Apple is irrelevant and doomed at any price.

Apple has called the analysts' bluff. We'll just have to wait and see if the gamble pays off.

7. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

but if it doesn't work out now, its more likely to be because its sporting a 1.25Ghz processor and a 9200-32 gfx card. Apple's certainly come a long way to meeting the consumer, yet until their suppliers can help them, they won't be able to sell as many as they could. Imagine if mini-mac, emac and ibook had 7448s and the powerbook had gone g5. you'd definitely see more people buying these machines, because they know they're not paying for old tech.

8. altair macrumors regular

I keep hoping people begin to realize they dont need a G5 to surf the web, or a 64mb video card to use word. Mabey im asking to much of common sense.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i wonder how many apple have sold since the keynote would be intreasting as the store was mayhem all that night and yesterday to.

o i made my order lol

10. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Windows and PC pundits have forced the mentality of "obseletion." It's unbelievable how many people have the idea that "as soon as you buy a computer, it's obselete." It has been pounded into us by PC manufacturers and techies since the mid nineties (at least) and is going on stronger than ever today.

Computer savy people view the [Windows] machine as disposable, a machine whose lifespan is a mere 2 years. After that, it's time to buy a new machine. This is one of the biggest reasons manufacturers have built low-cost computers.

Compared to macs, who's lifespan is usually double or sometimes triple that of most any windows-running machine, PC's and Macs really cost about the same. You (the average consumer) end up buying 2 or 3 more computers if you run windows in the same time frame you buy 1 Mac running OSx.

Therefore, the mentality is to buy a machine with the "latest, up-to-date specs, because it's going to be obselete this time in 2 years." Mac's have always defied that mentality, and hopfully with the rise of the Mac Mini, more people will catch on.

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Nah ... I think they've always been pretty pro-Mac, especially considereing a lot of their day to day work is done using them. For the low market share that Apple have, their PC releases always seem to get the coverage that HP and Dell can only dream of on such a high profile news site.

12. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I don't think this Mac is aimed at people who cares what kind video card or processor they have in their machine. They buy more expensive machines anyway. I think they are aiming at average computer consumers. People who had a good experience with their iPod and wants to check out the Mac, or those who are just curious about the Mac.

13. Benj macrumors regular

I believe it is actually one of the most visited sites in the world, not just the UK - so really big coverage.