Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than one week before Apple's third quarter fiscal results are released on July 21 at 2:00 PM Pacific, multiple research firms and analysts have released earnings previews for the three-month period ending June 30. The consensus is that Apple will report another quarterly earnings beat based on stronger than expected iPhone sales and continued year-over-year growth in China.

iPhone-6-Side.jpg

Apple provided third quarter guidance of revenue between $46 billion and $48 billion, gross margin between 38.5% and 39.5%, operating expenses between $5.65 billion and $5.75 billion and other expenses of $350 million, while the consensus among analysts was an EPS of $1.79. Apple is expected to beat both that guidance, which is purposefully conservative, and street expectations.

Wall Street and Silicon Valley analyst Neil Cybart published his 3Q15 earnings preview on Above Avalon, predicting Apple earned $50.9 billion revenue, with a gross margin of 40.9% and $1.97 earnings per share (EPS), based on sales of 49.3 million iPhones, 10.1 million iPads, 4.9 million Macs, 4.3 million Apple Watches and $9.3 billion from other products and services.

Apple-3Q15-Above-Avalon.jpg

Creative Strategies principal analyst Ben Bajarin estimates that Apple Watch worldwide sales were 4.7 million during the June quarter, topping the roughly 1.1 million iPhones and 3.3 million iPads sold in their respective launch quarters. Bajarin's estimate is based on supply chain output tracked by his market research firm, and is 400,000 units higher than Above Avalon's estimate.

Apple-Q315-Creative-Strategies.png

Apple has not publicly disclosed any official Apple Watch sales figures to date, and will be grouping the wrist-worn device under its "Other Products" category in quarterly earnings reports. The combined category includes sales of iPod, Apple TV, Beats Electronics and Apple-branded and third-party accessories, which will inevitably lead to predictions about how many Apple Watches make up the total units sold.

Investment banking company UBS also forecasts that Apple will have above-consensus earnings results based on a higher iPhone average selling price (ASP) estimate of $660 vs $636. The firm predicts Apple will report $52.5 billion revenue, with a gross margin of 40.9% and $2.00 EPS, based on sales of 51 million iPhones, 10.6 million iPads and 3 million Apple Watches.

UBS-3Q15-Apple.jpg

RBC Capital Markets is more conservative with its estimates, expecting that Apple will report $49.3 billion revenue, with a gross margin of 39.3% and $1.78 EPS, based on sales of 46.5 million iPhones, 11.3 million iPads and 4.6 million Macs. The firm did not estimate Apple Watch sales and expects scrutiny from investors in regards to Apple's iPhone unit sales globally, but particularly in China.

MacRumors will provide live coverage of Apple's third quarter results on July 21.

Article Link: Apple Predicted to Beat Expectations in Third Quarter on Strong iPhone Sales and Growth in China

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple Watch worldwide sales were 4.7 million during the June quarter, topping the roughly 1.1 million iPhones and 3.3 million iPads sold in their respective launch quarters.

I never know how impressive to find statistics like this given that the success of the latter products leads to more initial hype around the former. Imagine how the sales of the iPhone would've been affected if the releases were: Watch-like thing in 2007, iPad in 2010, and iPhone in 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
The stated reason for providing a range instead of a single number for guidance was to avoid the expectation that they'd always beat their guidance. That worked the first couple of times, but the last couple of times we're back to exceeding the high number. I wonder if they'll try to fix that.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I never know how impressive to find statistics like this given that the success of the former products lead to more initial hype around the latter. Imagine how the sales of the iPhone would've been affected if the releases were: Watch-like thing in 2007, iPad in 2010, and iPhone in 2015.

Yeah and the comparison to the original iPhone launch is horrible considering it was only on one carrier in one country :p

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
if 4.3 million watches sold, that's far from flopping. just comparing first quarter iPhone to Watch sales, it's staggering how much product they move now. I remember in 2001 when I switched over and I was in the extreme minority. the company is so massive now. just crazy.

just release an updated AppleTV already! oh, and the powerbook G5(most of you are probably too young to remember that rumor train)

Reactions: scaredpoet

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
The Watch singlehandedly beat the iPhone and iPad launch quarters. What a flop!
Well, if you count iPad sales in Q1 also beat those of the iPhone, and count how badly the iPad is faring, I'd say long-term product sales are inversely proportional to the product's initial success. So, based in this (yes, I'm an analyst) I conclude the Apple Watch will be a flop.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Apple expected to beat expectations? That's no problem, let's just raise the expectations.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Seems incredible that the demand is still going high. Just one more quarter left before the next iPhone is released. I'm sure the iPhone 6s and 6s+ will also sell in incredible numbers, since there are many iPhone 5 and 5s users who want to upgrade.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why would Apple choose to lump the Apple Watch in with the ATV? They didn't do that when they first launched the iPad, did they? It always had its own category, right?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

hogo-fogo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Seems incredible that the demand is still going high. Just one more quarter left before the next iPhone is released. I'm sure the iPhone 6s and 6s+ will also sell in incredible numbers, since there are many iPhone 5 and 5s users who want to upgrade.

I had iP5 and upgraded to iP6+ to get bigger screen. No plans for further upgrade till at least iP7s (or when AW will be bundled with iPxy at no extra cost :)

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I had iP5 and upgraded to iP6+ to get bigger screen. No plans for further upgrade till at least iP7s (or when AW will be bundled with iPxy at no extra cost :)
You seem to be in the "regular" cycle, i.e. iPhone 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 7, etc. But there are still many iPhone 5s users who are on contract and are dying to upgrade to the larger screens. That is when the new iPhones will come in.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Note that a Watch isn't count as sold until it's either shipped to a third party retailer, or delivered to an end user from Apple's online/brick stores.

Since there were only sales from Apple during this launch, it means that orders that did not get delivered before the end of June, do not count as sales for the quarter. So there might still be a lot of orders waiting to get fulfilled.

(This is why I predicted a while back that we'd see a huge push to get deliveries out by that deadline.)

Last edited:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Why would Apple choose to lump the Apple Watch in with the ATV? They didn't do that when they first launched the iPad, did they? It always had its own category, right?

They (Apple) put Apple Watch into the 'Others' category to hide the numbers and make it hard to figure whats going on. I believe they explained this earlier on and made it clear that they don't intend to provide watch sales data for competitive reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.