Apple: Quad-Core Processors in New Macs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacTechNews.de notes an interesting blurb on Apple's Creative Suite 3 promo page:

[​IMG]

In it, Apple claims:

At this time there are no Quad-Core Intel processors being used in any Macs, however, they may simply be referring to Quad-Core Mac Pros, which do contain two Dual-Core Intel Processors. Apple UK's store had previously had a more revealing slip up with the claims of "8-core processing power" on Mac Pros -- which they quickly corrected.

Rumors of Apple's use of Quad-core processors began in November 2006, with expectations that an 8-Core Mac Pro was coming soon.

digg this

2. Moderator emeritus

Four on the floor. Nice. :)

3. macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Some where over the rainbow

FJ

4. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Eh. I think this is just a clumsy reference to the current dual-dual MacPros.

Which is not to say there won't be 8-core MacPros soon...I think there will be within the next few weeks.

But I don't think this has anything to do with that at all. It's just imprecise writing.

5. macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm. It's nice to think this is a legitimate slip-up, and we really are expecting quad-core Mac's, but the way I see it... If you call a single Core 2 Duo a dual-core, why wouldn't two of them be quad-core?

6. macrumors 68040

Fact: Quad-core MacPro's are on their way. It's only a matter of time.

Fact: The text specifically says that it's talking about dual-core and quad-core PROCESSORS, not systems.

Conclusion: Apple will release MacPro's qwth quad-core CPU's in the immediate near future. But, of course, we knew this all along.

Because the text in question talks about quad-core PROCESSORS, not systems. Even if you have two dual-core processors, you do NOT have quad-core processor. You simply have a quad-core system.

7. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

wonderfully put:D

8. macrumors 6502

I think it can be read several ways, and is intended to be.

For those that demand "where is this quad-core Mac?" they can point to their dual-dual core. Yes, it says processor, which is technically not correct, but it's close enough to get by for now.

It also is handy for when they do update to a quad-core processor in the Mac Pros, which I think is coming soon [read next few weeks], because they won't have to go back and change all of the copy on their site.

It's a bit misleading at the moment, but I think it will be completely accurate in the near-future. :D

9. macrumors 6502

People are deluding themselves if they don't think there will be quad-core Macs. This isn't the old days where Apple could surprise everyone because no one knew what was going on with PPC processors. Intel publishes roadmaps that don't get altered at the last second.

For Apple to not have quad-core Macs would mean that Apple doesn't think it has a market for those(which I find hard to believe), Apple is waiting for a big event to release them, or that Apple is having problems on the inside. I would guess it's at least my second thought and maybe a little of the third. The big event would be a Leopard release so the OS can take advantage of the cores efficiently. By a little of the 3rd idea I'm thinking that I doubt Apple wanted to wait this long for Leopard to be released.

I really have no doubts though that quad-core Macs will be here.

10. macrumors 68030

slughead

what's the freakin holdup on 8 core mac pros?

We know all they have to do is buy the freakin things and throw them into the boxes; why don't they at least OFFER the chips as a BTO.

I have a friend who's in the market for one and has been waiting since november

11. macrumors 6502

junker

quad speed

So, this is a bit of a tangent but -

Are programs really yet able to take advantage of the multicore processors?

I thought I'd read somewhere that few programs were able to (truely) utilize the power yet in the multi procssor/core processing. That most computers would just shuffle/seperate processes to seperate cores (allocate each to its own core) as opposed to one program fully using all core/processors. (ok, That's a bit of an exaggerated and oversiplified statement, but hopefully you get where I'm going)

Being able to run on and fully utilize, are two seperate concepts.

Maybe this CS3 is the one of the first, but does anyone know?

As for the original topic here, sounds like it's a mistype by some noob in marketing. Though *of course* we'll soon see a quad processor soon.

12. macrumors 6502

Fact: in advertisements, technical subtleties are often glossed over.
    Fact: if they go with dual quad-cores in the next Mac Pros, they'd be 8-core systems, something Apple would want to trumpet (rather than simply saying, 'quad-core processor' as opposed to 'system')
    Fact: Apple is very secretive and tries to avoid releasing product details before they're announced
    Conclusion: this ad refers to the current systems only, and means nothing.

13. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Die shrink, speed bump, and temperature reduction.

Rocketman

14. macrumors 6502a

johnee

How well can osx handle multiple cores?

15. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

They've already changed the wording to multi-core.

It's designed from the beginning for them. On the OS level, cores are treated no different than seperate CPUs.

16. macrumors 68000

bearbo

because a single core 2 duo IS a dual-core processor, however TWO quad-core IS NOT a quad processor

in marketing, that's called bait and switch, and if apple doesn't currently offer quad processor, it's illegal

17. macrumors regular

I think it's a fairly safe bet that Leopard is being designed to run multiple cores even more than Tiger does at present.
    I wish I needed/could afford one:eek:

18. macrumors 68000

bearbo

it still says quad-core

19. macrumors 68040

They are talking about processors here, not systems. Since they are talking about processors, it's natural that they talk of number of cores per processor, as opposed of number of cores per system. And it clearly refers to dual-core and quad-core processors. And fact remains that we will see quad-core processors in Macs sooner or later.

Yeah, it's not like we have never seen Apple or someone else spill the beans on upcoming Apple hardware. No sirree....

I find your conclusion to be wrong. We all know that it's only a matter of time before we get quad-core processors in Macs, so why is it so hard to admit that they might have had a case of "premature specification" here? It wouldn't be the first time.

20. macrumors 6502a

It's sucks that Apple are still charging the same price for the current Mac Pros that they were charging in August 2006.

There's no way I'm paying that much for a half year old product that has been rumoured to be upgraded since the end of last year.

21. macrumors 65816

Infrared

For the same reason you wouldn't refer to
    four bats as a pair of two-headed bats :)

Cheers.

22. macrumors 68000

bearbo

has anyone gone to an apple store lately, do you see them demo-ing CS3 on there?

i find it funny how apple say "Test Drive a Mac and Creative Suite 3" just on the lower part of the page in question... when CS3 isn't even released yet:rolleyes:

23. macrumors 68030

well, it makes perfect business sense not to change prices UNTIL the new products ship. Sure, they are risking hard core macrumors folks NOT buying until new ones are released, but alot of people out there don't know about it and even if they did, some people need it for business so they get started now instead of waiting.

as for the half year old, i kind of hear you, but those machines still kick some serious booty and they will for a long, long time.

24. macrumors 68000

bearbo

or a quad-head bat;)

25. macrumors 6502

No, they are not talking in fine-grained technicalese in advertisements. They don't do that. "Quad-core Intel processors" is just shorthand to address the fact that one of their product lines happens to have four cores in it. It's not bait-and-switch, it's simplification. You guys will just grasp at any straw, won't you..

Gimme a break. Of course we all know quad-core processors in Mac Pros are a matter of time; I am not contesting that, I'm contesting the idea that this silly little ad has anything to do with it.