Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Apple's website disagrees with you: "Every new Mac features powerful dual-core or quad-core Intel processors..." see?
have you read this thread at all
those very words that you quoted from the apple website, are precisely what was this discussion over. we don't agree with apple's wording at the very least... so you cant use those wording to "prove me wrong":rolleyes:

if apple's website refer to the current quad core (dual dual-core processor) mac pro, they should change their wording to NOT say quad-core processor.

if apple's website refer to the upcoming quad-core processor (octo core) mac pro, bring it on.

The way I see it they are refering to "Every Mac". So, every mac now comes with a C2D processor. The Mac Pro however can have two C2D processors making it a quad-core processor. The wording is just really confusing.
but two Xeon (not C2D) processors don't make a quad-core processor.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
i don't give a whit about what average consumer give a whit about. the fact is apple misused the word "quad-core processor" and is not right. and the fact is apple mislead the consumer, average or not, intentionally or not

Sorry, but what you say is plain bogus. Typos happen all the time...that's why all companies put a disclaimer that they may happen, and that they do not constitute a legal offer as such.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I give up. The way it is worded to me leaves no room for interpretation. "Quad core intel processor" sure sounds like one thing to me. Yes, grammatically it can apply to all of their computers and not specifically the MacPro. And that assures us all that whoever wrote it mistyped.

But they word stuff like that all time time; it doesn't apply to some computers, and to some it does.

-=|Mgkwho

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Marketing people don't understand - It's that simple. They're asked to write something with limited understanding of the technology. Picking apart words written by an ad person is less than useful.

At the same time Intel has had 4-core processors for some time now and Apple will undoubtedly use them eventually. I expect they're waiting for all the other pieces to come together: CS3, Leopard, lower power 4-core processors.

Now on the topic of whether a 6 month old computer is still worth the same amount it was on the day of introduction, my answer is a categorical "No" provided any of the suppliers of the components have introduced a better part. The mere existence of better parts causes a computer to depreciate. Every computer is subject to this rule, but not every manufacturer treats it the same way.

Most PC manufacturers change components within days or weeks of a new part becoming available and/or discount machines with the older parts in them. Apple sticks with the same old parts and the same old price for 4-8 months at a time. While this certainly makes Apple a more profitable company, it ignores the reality of depreciation. The only time I ever buy a Mac is when it's first introduced or when it's discontinued, provided the discount is big enough. A few years ago old stock was often a better deal, but recently it's gone to ridiculous extremes in the opposite direction. Apple, for some reason well beyond my comprehension, asks more for a refurbished G5 than they do for a newer Intel based version of the same model, a machine their own marketing claims is several times faster.

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
But CS3 wasn't ready yet

it is indeed an old news.
hardmac.com has published 2 article about [the] Xeon Quad Core 5355, demonstrating how to install such CPU in current Mac Pro and what is the impact of doubling cores on performance level:
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/70/
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/72/

I'd be interested to see them (or anyone) try similar experiments comparing CS2 to CS3, or whatever comparison, to see if CS3 truly does make good use of 4 cores. They've shown that there's no need to wait until Apple releases such a system.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Sorry, but what you say is plain bogus. Typos happen all the time...that's why all companies put a disclaimer that they may happen, and that they do not constitute a legal offer as such.

Bogus? :confused: a bit too fast to jump onto conclusion aren't you, have to launch attack to make yourself feel secure?

if you had one extra or one short 0 on the price (e.g. $4000 as $400), that's offer... but the case of fabricating a whole thing that you don't have is not typo. if it were typo, they would have corrected it by now.

i'm glad you apologized tho.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Might Be Time To Separate iMac & MBP Similarities

it is indeed an old news.
hardmac.com has published 2 article about hte Xeon Quad Core 5355, demonstrating how to install such CPU in current Mac Pro and what is the impact of doubling cores on performance level:
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/70/
http://www.hardmac.com/articles/72/

concerning an iMac powered by a Xeon, it is already possible thanks to Low Voltage / Low Power Xeon released recently by Intel. But there are at least 2 problems:
- need an entirely new motherboard (so a serious revision of current iMac hardware)
- not cost effective, as current iMac logic board use the same hardware basis than the MB Pro.

I also think that there is room for a Conroe powered mini tower, as the iMac will mostly for cost and design remains similar to the MB Pro hardware.
I'm thinking a new iMac design for better cooling and a divorce from the MBP motherboard on to Kentsfield-Conroe for both iMac and a headless mini-tower. Why not give customers a choice of All-In-One or an affordable alternative to the Mac Pro in a smaller headless floor based dual monitor capable tower with one or two vancant PCIe slots?

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Why not give customers a choice of All-In-One or an affordable alternative to the Mac Pro in a smaller headless floor based dual monitor capable tower with one or two vancant PCIe slots?

Because most people do not want a tower or headless machine. They want all in one.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Much ado about nothing!

So much pointless discussion about whether this refers to the current Mac Pro - of course it doesn't!

In the second "panel" on the linked page (why don't people actually GO and look at what they are talking about) it shows the text:

"Every new Mac features powerful dual-core or quad-core Intel processors, the world's most advanced operating system, and more."

Then directly below, under the current Mac Pro, it lists:

"Recommended configuration: Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon".

They explictily use Quad-core and Dual-Core - this is merely a slip up confirming the obvious new systems that will be announced ASAP. Note this is on a brand-new page for the just announced CS3 that also is not currently shipping - this page will be up for the next few years.

The Intel Quad-cores are a fact of life - as noted many times above, the discussion since before the new year is merely WHEN we'll see them on the Mac Pro. ALL top-end future Intel Macs will be at least Quads (see the related Intel announcement on page 1).

Discussing who will be the next president after Bush or Prime Minister after Blair is NOT some sort of insider political leak that catches us by surprise! Everyone knows the changes are coming, just as everyone knows we'll have a MP with Quad-cores quite soon.

pedrodelafiesta

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2007
Somethings Coming

I ordered a new mac pro with apple 2 days ago and they said it wouldnt ship till april 12th, but that i would be happy when it did ship. When quized they gave no further info. Either new specs or new operating system. this is uk.
:)

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
It's called sloppy writing... There are 4 cores in every Mac Pro. Simple as that. Not everyone at Apple is a genius, they can phrase things incorrectly, also. :rolleyes:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Penryn-processor Mac Pro please

Drop four of them 3Ghz+ in a box I'll even be happy for a while past the 8-core Intel silicon released next year. ;)

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
I ordered a new mac pro with apple 2 days ago and they said it wouldnt ship till april 12th, but that i would be happy when it did ship. When quized they gave no further info. Either new specs or new operating system. this is uk.
:)

whoa. that sounds good to me. especially as the nab event is the 11th i think.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
have you read this thread at all
but two Xeon (not C2D) processors don't make a quad-core processor.

Of course it doesn't and that's exactly what I mean when I say the wording is really confusing and horribly written, because they refer to having 2 processors that are Dual Core Xeon as a "quad-core" system.

wtfk

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Sounds specific to me

At this time there are no Quad-Core Intel processors being used in any Macs, however, they may simply be referring to Quad-Core Mac Pros, which do contain two Dual-Core Intel Processors.

What's not specific about "quad-core Intel processors?"

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
I'm pretty certain that Apple employ some of the finest advertising people that money can buy and this is a very deliberate ploy to further wet our appetites and whip up a frenzy. Jobs knows very well that all us saddos are screaming for the new Pro and I guess that's just the way he likes to play it :)

I wouldn't be suprised if the "slip" on the UK site wasn't part of an orchestrated strategy. We are talking about Apple here folks not some provincial super-markey chain...

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Sales figures disagree with you - far more box+monitor systems are sold than all-in-ones.

That might just be because that is what is most available to most PC buyers from HP, Dell, Sony, etc. ;)

I'm talking on the Mac end. Most people I have switched to the Mac want to get away from towers and separate monitors.

Sales figures from Apple (iMac sales versus the rest of the line) confirm this.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
That might just be because that is what is most available to most PC buyers from HP, Dell, Sony, etc. ;)

I'm talking on the Mac end. Most people I have switched to the Mac want to get away from towers and separate monitors.

Sales figures from Apple (iMac sales versus the rest of the line) confirm this.

This argument just doesn't make sense. Apple has never had another option until the mini came out. The mini was a big success initially but has waivered lately because the technology is already old and overpriced. So how can you make a statement like "iMac sales versus the rest of the line".

If Apple made a Mac mini tower with a price point between the mini and the mac pro, it would sale like hotcakes.

I have been a mac user since 1985 and I can't tell you how many times I have heard people get outraged at having to by a completely new monitor everytime they want to upgrade a mac.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
It's obvious this is being misread

Look here :

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=2CB5E8C0&nclm=MacPro

It says "Quad-Core : Up to 3 Ghz"

The Dual-Core is in reference to the iMac,MBP and MacBook.

Don't even know why this discussion is even here..

We will see the "8-Core" sometime between next Tuesday and NAB.

that page you linked did not say "Quad-Core", it said "Quad Core"...

whenever there's "Quad-Core" or "Dual-Core" (notice the dash), it's used right before processor(s), as an adjective, to describe the processor(s), while "Quad Core" or "Dual Core" are used as noun.

again, if you've read the discussion here at all, you will notice people have already pointed out the difference between "Quad Core" and "Quad-Core processor".. just because a machine has 4 of those chips, doesn't make those 4 chip a Quad-Core processor.

i dont mean to be sarcastic, just to be clear.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Whether or not this is a slipup... I don't know. Apple could use better wording however.

"quad-core intel processors" implies "a quad-core intel processor" is un use. Simple as that.

They should say "Every new Mac features powerful dual-core Intel processors in single or dual configurations, the world's most advanced operating system, and more."

Or: "Every new Mac features one or two powerful dual-core, the world's most advanced operating system, and more."

Not as elegant mind you, but saying "quad-core intel processor" is very misleading. These are "quad-core intel processors": http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0340343 1050706986 1050925864&name=Clovertown

There is also a Core 2 Quad.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.