Apple quietly bundles anti-scratch case with iPod Nano

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 11, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I vaguely remember employing tactics like this as a child.....not admitting guilt while otherwise rectifying the situation....

3. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heh.... those cases are ... ahem... interesting. Yes, interesting. And pretty. Very pretty. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

4. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I suppose they couldn't make them too nice without hurting their accessory licensing program.

5. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    The case is identical to the one that came with my 5g video ipod.

The interesting thing about it is that you can still control the scroll wheel through it somehow (does anyone know how that works?)

This is my first iPod I have kept in a case, and it really has staid scratch free (for about 5 days now). On the other hand I have to pull it out to see the screen. Which means at some point I may look for a third party case.

6. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it has to do with the dielectric properties of the plastic / silicone / whatever. I have a silicone iSkin through which I can also control my scroll wheel.

7. macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

I guess it was inevitable...if the video iPod has one, the nano probably should too.

8. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Unfortunately this won't stop the lawsuits - the lawyers need their fees. :(

9. macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

That case still completely blows. Many users complain that the case bundled with their 5g video-enabled iPods are causing significant scratches. Looks like it might be a half-hearted attempt by Apple to save some PR on the scratch vulnerablity issue. The solution? Better material on the face, period.

10. macrumors regular

montex

I don't agree with everything Apple does. Clearly, this "solution" of the cheap POS sleave for the iPod Nano is pathetic. They can (and hopefully will) do better.

11. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Concidering all the bitching and moaning lately, at least Apple is doing something. Maybe this will stop all the petty law suits and people can back to their otherwise pathetic lives.

12. ksz
    macrumors 68000

Speaking about yourself?? :rolleyes:

There is a problem that needs to be corrected. People with pathetic lives don't care to improve their lives; those without pathetic lives do care to improve. Let the courts decide whether the lawsuit is with or without merit. Meanwhile Apple is already making amends for a problem that really is real.

13. macrumors 65816

me_94501

Are you complaining about the quality of the case or the fact that one is needed in the first place? :confused:

14. macrumors 601

mjstew33

Instead of giving the buyer an extremely scratchable iPod with a case "protecting" the ipod from scratches.... they should hmmm... let's see.... FIX THE PROBLEM? -By not being cheap?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

15. macrumors 6502

Konradx

The only way i see that case scratching an ipod is particles of dirt or sand getting INTO the case and putting in and taking out the ipod scratches occur due to how snug it is. Otherwise that material is very very soft and wont scratch it.

16. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I find it rather lame that they did that. If anything, I'd really like to be able to get one of those cases for free.

Althought it's a little late for my nano..

17. macrumors member

Will Apple sell these for a nominal fee (less than 5 USD) to existing Nano owners? I bought my Nano less than 10 days ago.

18. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry that it's late for your Nano, but I would be shocked if you could not get one of these sleeves by contacting Apple customer service and discussing your dissatisfaction. In fact I thought that had already happened in some cases for other people.

But I tend to agree... the Nano should stand up to at least the sort of routine abuse as putting it in the coin pocket (without coins in there) of jeans, as Jobs did on-stage, without becoming overly scratched....It seems as if there are Nanos out there that cannot live up to this. My full size iPod has taken comparable abuse without being too badly off....

19. macrumors regular

Iroganai

I have an 5g Ipod and keep mine in the case bundled.
    I have used this two weeks, and zero scratch so far...
    Your Mileage may vary, of course.

20. macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Heh! I still do!

21. macrumors regular

So do I! All the time
    :p

22. macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

[​IMG]

Yeah, I wondered why they didn't do that when I received my vid ipod and it contained a case like that.

23. macrumors 6502

"Anti-Scratch Case"

Man, alwyas biased, all cases are Anti-Scratch. You dont call ipod socks "Anti Scratch ipod socks", alwyas blowing things outta proprotion. Cool, seems like the clear plastic with a few pocket crumbs in there can do more damage then good, hopefully im wrong. I can never complain about more accesories, i liked back in the day, when my 20 gig came with as dock and remote, and a FIREWIRE cable!!

I just fillled my 20, now i can onlyh droll over a 60 gig photo.

24. macrumors member

I think it is good the case scratches the ipod a little but on the nano with the white backlight on all the time then they won't be noticable.

25. macrumors newbie

This news has been in ilounge for a few days now. MacRumors is getting slow.