Apple quietly discontinues U2 iPod

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 12, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors G5

nagromme

No surprise. I always liked the U2 iPods... except for the signatures on the back (I like a lot of U2, but I'm not into signed stuff) and the red wheel.

Both problems now solved :)

And no sign of a pink Madonna iPod yet?

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Harry Potter edition is no longer featured in the store, but still seems to be available if you search for it.

Plus, we didn't get a pink Madonna edition nano today as rumored. :p I guess they could wait until her album is released and still do it....

B

5. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

It lasted a lot longer then I expected. I am looking forward to some new limited iPods.

6. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Um, didn't discontinue all the 4G ipods, of which the U2 ipod was one? I mean, I get it, but you get it, right?

7. macrumors member

Yeah, but the last time Apple updated the iPod line (from 4G to 4G and a half or whatever you want to call it, color screens), a new version of the U2 iPod was launched along with it. Today Apple could have offered up a 5G version of the U2 iPod, but it chose not to.

So basically, the 4G iPod was replaced by the 5G iPod, but the U2 iPod was replaced by nothing...which is something ;)

8. macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

They may be wanting to make the line more collectible. Or maybe it wasn't selling well. I know I never wanted to buy one...

9. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Me too, like nagromme I wasn't a fan of the red button or the scratches on the back!

10. macrumors member

For me, as a big U2 fan, it was a no-brainer when I went to buy a 4G color iPod. But perhaps at this point, all of the U2 fans have already bought a U2 iPod that are going to buy one.

11. macrumors 603

solvs

The U2 iPod was replaced by the black iPod. ;)