Apple Ram vs. other

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by themacman, Oct 10, 2004.

1. themacman macrumors 6502

I am going to buy a powerbook. I want to get a descent amount of ram in it. It will be a 12". Should i buy apple ram or some other. If its the other, what kind of ram is good. does anyone know when the next powerboook update is going to be?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DO NOT BUY RAM FROM APPLE. There is nothing special, or "Apple" about it.

The Americans on the board will be able to recommend the best places to you, but I think newegg.com for Crucial memory is a favorite :)

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Apple RAM could be any one of those manufacurers: Hynix, Samsung, Micron and problably others aswell.

Some might disagree, but i like to pay a few bucks more on well known brands (like crucial, samsung, kingston, owc) than buying a noname brand.
    These are cheaper than apple anyway... (most of the time half the price as apples RAM)

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The only reason that I can see for buying Apple RAM is for the one stop shopping it provides.

Other than that you can get great RAM from the likes of OWC, and get the same stuff as what Apple sells for less.

5. themacman thread starter macrumors 6502

Ram

so crucial is a good brand. thanks for the help