Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mvc said:
I disagree, and here's why.

The s700 by sonyericsson shows that these sort of devices ARE converging, and there is nothing clunky about it.

It's true that in the past convergence produced a clunky result, but the market for truly portable computing/media/communications devices is going to explode over the next 5 years as all the necessary technology is coming on stream, with the battery issue being the most problematic.
These aspects are a natural fit, as Media and communications both become much more useful with the addition of a real processor and harddrive.

PDA's are just an immature form of these future portable devices, as was the Newton. Traditional PDA type functionality is rapidly becoming a side issue, as seen by how the phones are assuming that role so easily, almost as a me too feature.

Phones can just as quickly become mp3 players too, with the addition of a decent harddrive.

The phone, you see, is the key, as everyone NEEDS to have a cellphone, but all the other features are to most people just options, including the mp3 playback.

Consider this; if in the next 3 years cellphones sprout 20gb harddrives to hold all the images you have taken with your built-in camera (a 2 mega pixel camera will be the norm by then), then what is to stop adding a little mp3 playback feature. 20gb of music on your phone, suddenly there is much less reason to own or carry yet another digital device to rattle around in your pocket; that silly old iPod.

Cellphones killed the PDA, and they will kill the iPod if it stays JUST an mp3 player.

Don't be sidetracked by what was said and done in the past, Apple will want a share of this, even if it means effectively building an iPod or some other device which includes a phone. Its one of the few things they can still do better than commodity PC makers, because making sophisticated but well designed products within a limited physical space requires real finesse.

That's the real future of the iPod.
how did I miss this? :confused:

Oh well. The S700, while a nice phone (I'm trying to decide between it and a P800 for my next one :D), is hardly a PDA/Phone/iPod in one. Yes it has some PDA features, and yes, it can play MP3's, but it doesn't have a touchscreen, and it doesn't have as much room as a mini, let alone a full on iPod. Of course, you should have used the P800 or P900, those have touchscreens and stylii :D

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Yes, convergence will suck if done poorly, but it will still happen, and poor implementation didn't stop PC's overwhelming Macs by nearly matching their interface and lowering the price.

If Apple do it, and do it right, and this time patent the interface like they have with the iPod (and didn't with the Mac), they can rule this market.

But only if Steve is not allergic to including cellpone capability in this perfect integrated device.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Counterfit said:
how did I miss this? :confused:

Oh well. The S700, while a nice phone (I'm trying to decide between it and a P800 for my next one :D), is hardly a PDA/Phone/iPod in one. Yes it has some PDA features, and yes, it can play MP3's, but it doesn't have a touchscreen, and it doesn't have as much room as a mini, let alone a full on iPod. Of course, you should have used the P800 or P900, those have touchscreens and stylii :D

Yeah, but I liked the s700 - you see, thats the thing, its likeable, what it does it does very well in a sweet implementation. Its not the features per se, more features are always coming, it's the quality of the way its done that spoke to me.

I'm sure it lacks the superb interface simplicity and directness of the iPod. This is why Apple CAN rule. They have just got to evolve. :)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Soire said:
1) When is the ITMS anniversary?

2) When is the HP iPod coming out?

I ask as these may have some bearing on the release of the new iPods.

And if they don't ship for a couple months- I will go insane!!

1. The iTMS Anniversary is April 28. iTunes 4 and the 3rd Generation iPods were released on this day last year.

2. I believe that the HP iPod is coming out sometime between June and July.

Oh, and when the 3rd Generation iPods were released, they were in stores and shipping within 10 days of announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.