Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a voluntary recall of all Beats Pill XL speakers due to the rare possibility that the battery in the speakers may overheat and pose a fire safety risk. Apple advises all customers to stop using the Beats Pill XL speakers and will issue a $325 refund or Apple Store credit to affected customers. The recall does not extend to other Apple or Beats products.

Beats-Pill-XL-800x245.jpg

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission notes that the recall applies to about 222,000 Beats Pill XL speakers sold in the United States from January 2014 through June 2015, while Health Canada says that approximately 11,000 units were sold in Canada. Apple received eight reports of incidents of the speakers overheating, including one that burned a customer's finger and one that burned a customer's desk.
"Because customer safety is the company's top priority, Apple is asking customers to stop using their Beats Pill XL speakers. Customers who purchased a Beats Pill XL speaker should visit www.apple.com/support/beats-pillxl-recall for details about how to return their product to Apple, and how to receive an Apple Store credit or electronic payment of $325."
Beats Pill XL speakers were introduced by Beats by Dre in November 2013, prior to Apple acquiring the company in 2014, and are sold in five colors: black, metallic sky, pink, titanium and white. Apple will issue refunds to affected customers approximately three weeks after receiving the returned Beats Pill XL speakers in a postage paid box.

Article Link: Apple Recalls Beats Pill XL Speakers Due to Possible Fire Hazard

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
'Because customer safety is the company's top priority, Apple is asking customers to stop using their Beats Pill XL speakers.'

I look forward to the day when companies stop making hyperbolic and dishonest statements.

I could kill someone with my iPhone. Don't recall Apple recalling it as a consequence.

Reactions: Mums and mkeeley

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You'd think it would be less expensive to just send affected customers replacement batteries.

OH WAIT, the battery is sealed into the unit and cannot be replaced.

I really don't like this new trend of sealing in batteries. Not only can they not be replaced in cases like this, but it gives the product a definite future expiration date. I can pull out my circa 1989 Game Boy and pop in four AAs and use it. I doubt you'll be able to use one of today's bluetooth speakers in 2041.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
So you can buy them on ebay for $220-$260 and then sell them to Apple for $325. Not a bad deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEATS-PILL-...074?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item235209c7ea

There are actually used ones for around $150 or less.

god god, when a bose mini sound link goes for $180 new, there shouldn't even be a question. so much better sound, so much of an apple hardware 'match' in terms of form. i understand being young and getting into fads, but if you respect your music, stay away from beats pills. i can't vouch for the newer beats headphones, as i've heard they're a big step up, but the various BT speakers i've tried never seem to match up with the mini sound link.

no house fires yet either :)

josh995

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2012
'Because customer safety is the company's top priority, Apple is asking customers to stop using their Beats Pill XL speakers.'

I look forward to the day when companies stop making hyperbolic and dishonest statements.

I could kill someone with my iPhone. Don't recall Apple recalling it as a consequence.

I hope you're joking because that comparison is wildly different...

Reactions: Joe HS

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014

cause clubbing someone to death with something is the same as if it bursts into flames unexpectedly due to manufacturing error and kills you in your sleep. :rolleyes:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
god god, when a bose mini sound link goes for $180 new, there shouldn't even be a question. so much better sound, so much of an apple hardware 'match' in terms of form. i understand being young and getting into fads, but if you respect your music, stay away from beats pills. i can't vouch for the newer beats headphones, as i've heard they're a big step up, but the various BT speakers i've tried never seem to match up with the mini sound link.

no house fires yet either :)

Don't quite understand your response to my post....I wasn't pointing out anything about the quality of these things. I was just saying you could buy one now for a discount price and then Apple will give you $325 for it. Was just pointing out an arbitrage opportunity.....

Reactions: Mums
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.