Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Thanks, yeah it's no big deal. Just now I have learned, if I want to post on a forum with the majority of users being adults, I'd better REALLY be careful about how I come across.

papi,

u r cool

pardon my badarse remarks

go well

x

f

:eek:

----------

Read my reply before you jump to conclusions.

pardon my remarks, i followed the thread from the start...

eish

f

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Figuring out someone's tone is so hard to do with text. I didn't take it negatively. Truth be told, I had no idea Tim Cook was gay. But I was reading the Steve Jobs biography and just got through the part where Tim Cook and Steve start working together. It does mention that he never married, was up at 4am every day, and hit the gym immediately. I just thought he was really really motivated. Which he is. But in a different context, it's sort of funny.

The "outing" of Tim Cook is probably the strangest I've ever seen. It's pure speculation - not even rumor. No one has come forth with a single story or fact or claim about his sexuality. His Wikipedia article doesn't mention it. Gawker and Out magazine simply decided he was gay, and claim it's "well known" in the valley.

Tim Cook has never confirmed nor denied it, nor will he. Apple is a gay friendly company, and denying you are gay can come off as anti-gay.

He's a bachelor, probably a confirmed bachelor, and that's all we know.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
So you have to buy something in order for the company to give? :eek:

:rolleyes:

If they can't make money out of it, why should aids-infected Africans get their help?

----------

I don't know the percentage, but...

Let it run for another century and they may actually come close to same zip code as what Bill G does in a year. Awesome! Go Apple!

Last edited:

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
The "outing" of Tim Cook is probably the strangest I've ever seen. It's pure speculation - not even rumor. No one has come forth with a single story or fact or claim about his sexuality. His Wikipedia article doesn't mention it. Gawker and Out magazine simply decided he was gay, and claim it's "well known" in the valley.

Tim Cook has never confirmed nor denied it, nor will he. Apple is a gay friendly company, and denying you are gay can come off as anti-gay.

does it matter whether tim, you, me or anybody are gay/straight/bi/trans whatever, or not?

aids is sexually indifferent, how we practise it makes the difference

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
With all the advances we have made, life with AIDS in America is still terrible. I am not arguing against help in Africa, because it's sorely needed. But people (ahem) seem to think it's solved in America. The perception amongst many is that if you're rich, you'll be fine. And, if you're Magic Johnson, that might be the case. But if you're not, and sometimes even if you are rich, it's a circus of dodging side effects. How about bone loss, cancer, constant fatigue, life threatening digestive issues, loss of muscle mass, and dementia? They're all side effects of "effective" treatment. How many people under the age of 80 break their legs walking across the street? AIDS patients do.

Lot's of people can get by. But lots of people, right here, won't know until the repercussions from medication are almost a death sentence. I know that all too well.

Nice to see that you admit that they get the adequate treatment in First World Countries. I understand that the patients suffer and I don't want to minimize it. Point being: You won't find that in Africa because these children infected at or closely after birth will not even live till their teens. If you look at infection rates in the western world, they are more or less stable over the last decades. Yes, we had some increase in new infections because the awareness campaigns wore off, but as others stated, the major issue on AIDS and HIV is not in the western world, it is in Africa. It is in regions where the predominant "therapy" for HIV is sleeping with a virgin. Yes, you heard right! That is what men in some regions in Africa believe. So they rape and infect a little girl because their hope is to get "cured" this way. Ignorance and "why not here" does not help these facts. We as the western world brought AIDS to them - not the other way round. Same with slums resulting from culture clashes etc. so we have a responsibility to some extend.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ

Ha! I had no idea about that, either. Well, my brother is always telling me things like "oh, yeah, EVERYBODY knows Tom Cruise is gay," or this person or that person, etc. And usually I come to find out that maybe 25% of them are actually gay and the rest he just wishes were gay.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
does it matter wheter tim, you, me or anybody are gay/straight/bi/trans whatever, or not?

aids is sexually indifferent, how we practise it makes the differnce

No, it doesn't matter to me or you if Cook is gay. But it seems to matter so much to a lot of people that they are willing to state something as fact just because they want it to be true.

Sure, AIDS is sexually indifferent. But, men who have sex with men are the most efficient vector. That's just a medical fact that nobody is allowed to mention without having people jump out of the woodwork to accuse them of calling it a "gay disease". It's a fairly small percentage of the US population that accounts for more than half of all new infections. It's not a weird coincidence that every other ad in a gay magazine is for antiretroviral drugs and life insurance buyout companies.

I'm not trying to flaimbait, I'm just trying to defend the OPs comment - IF Cook is gay, it's not crazy to think he'd be sensitive to the scourge of AIDS.

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
world AIDS day? So we are remembering a government created disease to control the population that has killed so many and is continuing to do so.

:confused:

Ill put my tin foil hat back on.... :p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
world AIDS day? So we are remembering a government created disease to control the population that has killed so many and is continuing to do so.

:confused:

Ill put my tin foil hat back on.... :p

At first, I read your join date as 2011 and thought you were Pink Floyd reincarnated. :D

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Nice to see that you admit that they get the adequate treatment in First World Countries. I understand that the patients suffer and I don't want to minimize it. Point being: You won't find that in Africa because these children infected at or closely after birth will not even live till their teens. If you look at infection rates in the western world, they are more or less stable over the last decades. Yes, we had some increase in new infections because the awareness campaigns wore off, but as others stated, the major issue on AIDS and HIV is not in the western world, it is in Africa. It is in regions where the predominant "therapy" for HIV is sleeping with a virgin. Yes, you heard right! That is what men in some regions in Africa believe. So they rape and infect a little girl because their hope is to get "cured" this way. Ignorance and "why not here" does not help these facts. We as the western world brought AIDS to them - not the other way round. Same with slums resulting from culture clashes etc. so we have a responsibility to some extend.

Oh god, yeah. It's awful in Africa. And I think it was Uganda that just passed an anti-gay bill that sends people who even verbally defend a gay person to 10 years in prison. Anyway, it's terrible there. I just hope they can cure it for all the folks who have it now. But we do need to make sure people aren't spreading it. I think the biggest hurdle in Africa, as I understand it, is lack of education and these really ingrained beliefs like sex with a virgin curing it. It sounds nuts to us-- because it is-- but that's the everyday life and accepted norm for millions of people. Sad, really.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
A nice touch.

I'm kind of curious, how much of the money spent on (RED) products actually goes to the organization?

I don't know the percentage, but...

Up to 50% of gross profit (so if an iPod nano cost $80 to build and is sold for $130, the profit would be $50, Apple would then donate $25)(these are fake numbers i used to show as an example).

http://www.apple.com/ipod/red/

Sometimes one small act has the power to make a very big difference. When you buy a (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano or iPad Smart Cover, Apple gives a portion of the purchase price to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. The Global Fund. The numbers don’t lie: Every day more than 1,000 babies are born with HIV. By 2015 that number can be nearly zero. (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. And it directs up to 50 percent of gross profits from the sale of those products to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Since its introduction, (PRODUCT) RED has generated more than $180 million for the Global Fund. Now you can make an impact, too, by purchasing a (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano or (PRODUCT) RED iPad Smart Cover. For more information about the Global Fund and (RED)™, visit JOINRED.com. Buy iPod nano|Buy iPad Smart Cover

dangcookie

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
These are some of the worst threads ever

I cannot believe the overly-sensitive reactions to the post suggesting that it's no surprise that Tim Cook upped the (RED) campaign. What is wrong with you people? Tim is likely gay. To suggest that he *may* have had something to do with upping Apple's promotion of (RED) is *not* necessarily bigoted. Relax. What a bunch of whiners.

And then there are the turkeys who seem to have forgotten that Apple-with-Jobs got 100% behind (RED) from its inception. The jackassery today, people. Just blows the mind.

Strobe

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
A little off topic, but that 2015 quilt website says in the switching image 1 million babies are born everyday with HIV, but on the left it says 1,000. Pretty sure 1,000 sounds more accurate to me.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Well, see, that is what is unfortunate about the internet. Is is difficult to convey tones. I didn't mean it negatively, nor did I mean it to sound bigoted, but you know what? Your right. I could have done without saying that. It sounds pretty messed up, even though I was just pointing out the fact that he has a slight bit more of reason to care then Jobs did. Besides it's not just gay people that get AIDS. That is just a really lame stererotype. I didn't mean to take away from the actual aspect of how horrible AIDS are and that we should be doing everything we can to eradicate it. So, once again, I am sorry. I'm only 17 and I don't have as much understanding as some older people about what can come across as being bad.
Just so you know, I actually have a gay friend, so I am 100% NOT bigoted towards gay individuals AT ALL. In fact, I think it is pretty cool that an organization as large as Apple can have a gay CEO.

I think people only believe that AIDS, or HIV, is in the gay and lesbian community, but it isn't. 90% of the world is straight and they too have been affected with AIDS.

You say your 17, you must know that it is difficult for people older than you to express themselves in a meaningful way about AIDS, HIV, or talking about being gay, (when they are straight), and might have never met anyone that is gay! Reading a comment from someone you do not know also adds to the misinterpretation.

Articulation is hard even when the subject isn't about AIDS, HIV, or whether someone is gay or not, whether they be the CEOs, or the man and woman down the block!

Seems like we have not 'advanced' to far from the cave sometimes in terms of how we treat other humans for thinking different, being different, looking different, etc. because they do not 'fit' the straight life style. Who made that the 'staight way the life' the only way to live anyways?

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I cannot believe the overly-sensitive reactions to the post suggesting that it's no surprise that Tim Cook upped the (RED) campaign. What is wrong with you people? Tim is likely gay. To suggest that he *may* have had something to do with upping Apple's promotion of (RED) is *not* necessarily bigoted. Relax. What a bunch of whiners.

And then there are the turkeys who seem to have forgotten that Apple-with-Jobs got 100% behind (RED) from its inception. The jackassery today, people. Just blows the mind.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, "Steve Jobs would have never approved that" "they're doing that because Steve is gone" "what would have Steve done" "this would have never happened if Steve was still here"

This form of thinking is going to be around for a while.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Sometimes what is really needed is a picture to offer some perspective. Look at this. Sit back, think for a minute about the world, your life, everything. Trust me, it'll be worth it.

Life_expectancy_in_some_Southern_African_countries_1958_to_2003.png

Up to 50% of gross profit (so if an iPod nano cost $80 to build and is sold for $130, the profit would be $50, Apple would then donate $25)(these are fake numbers i used to show as an example).

http://www.apple.com/ipod/red/

Key word(s): up to. In general, there are two lessons in life when it comes to corporate behavior: a) if they're not selling you the straight story, they're trying to dupe you. b) whenever they use the word up to, they're definitely trying to dupe you.

...and yeah, theres actually a third one too: c) even when it seems legit, trust me, they're trying their very best to dupe you.

Case in point: Carriers and advertised speeds.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
7 up-votes for misinformation . . .

Apple has been doing the RED program for years, under Jobs' watch. Nothing new here, other than "they're still doing it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_Red

Thats not what he meant. Apple has never brought it to the forefront of the business by promoting it heavily in the stores or on the site. For example, its the first time they have put red apples in the window and such. Steve would never have had that going on when he was there.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thats not what he meant. Apple has never brought it to the forefront of the business by promoting it heavily in the stores or on the site. For example, its the first time they have put red apples in the window and such. Steve would never have had that going on when he was there.

Please stop. You have no idea what Steve would have done or not done.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
It was bound to happen sooner or later, "Steve Jobs would have never approved that" "they're doing that because Steve is gone" "what would have Steve done" "this would have never happened if Steve was still here"

This form of thinking is going to be around for a while.

Not even 20 minutes after my post above you have already proven my point.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Well, see, that is what is unfortunate about the internet. Is is difficult to convey tones. I didn't mean it negatively, nor did I mean it to sound bigoted, but you know what? Your right. I could have done without saying that. It sounds pretty messed up, even though I was just pointing out the fact that he has a slight bit more of reason to care then Jobs did. Besides it's not just gay people that get AIDS. That is just a really lame stererotype. I didn't mean to take away from the actual aspect of how horrible AIDS are and that we should be doing everything we can to eradicate it. So, once again, I am sorry. I'm only 17 and I don't have as much understanding as some older people about what can come across as being bad.
Just so you know, I actually have a gay friend, so I am 100% NOT bigoted towards gay individuals AT ALL. In fact, I think it is pretty cool that an organization as large as Apple can have a gay CEO.

It is to your credit that you realized that your comment was inappropriate. You handled this situation well.Your apology demonstrates a growing maturity. You will, undoubtedly, become an admirable adult as years pass.:)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Please stop. You have no idea what Steve would have done or not done.

Actually in this case we do. World Aids day is every year. Apple has never promoted that in its shops until after Steve was no longer at the helm.

The same can be said for the time off given to Apple employees as a thank you over the holidays, and the charity program set up for staff to donate and apple will match it. All these things only happened AFTER steve left.

So yes, we've all got a pretty good idea - these are actions performed by Tim, no such actions were ever done previously. The most Apple had ever done is the Product (RED) iPods.

I'm not implying anything by this for those who seem offended (god knows why!!), its just an observation. I like that Tim is doing it, and hopefully we'll see more charitable actions from Apple in the future.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sometimes what is really needed is a picture to offer some perspective. Look at this. Sit back, think for a minute about the world, your life, everything. Trust me, it'll be worth it.

Life_expectancy_in_some_Southern_African_countries_1958_to_2003.png

Thank you for posting that graph - it really drives home the horrifying reality of the sub-Saharan AIDS problem.

Uganda seems to be less closely related - possibly famine and war account for the earlier decline in average lifespan. Even though AIDS cases from the 1950's are documented, AIDS was relatively unknown until the early '80s.

Last edited:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU

the real question is why does it even matter? people are people, Americans makes such a big deal out of everything

----------

Thank you for posting that graph - it really drives home the horrifying reality of the sub-Saharan AIDS problem.

it's not only AIDS.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
the real question is why does it even matter? people are people, Americans makes such a big deal out of everything

----------

it's not only AIDS.

No, but the significant casual relationship is quite hard to ignore. Its no coincidence that the countries with the most radical LE changes also are the countries most affected by aids. That said, AIDS is a double-killer. Not only does it kill people, it virtually kills countries. On the one hand, care is very resource demanding. On the other, it removes people from the work force meaning less resources to push towards efficient aid - not only for aids, but for other types of diseases, in turn leading to more deaths etc.

In case someone asks for something substantial:

The ten countries with the lowest DALE are all in sub- Saharan Africa, where the HIV-AIDS epidemic is most prevalent. Life expectancy in several countries in southern Africa has been reduced by 15–20 years in comparison with life expectancy without HIV. Other African countries have lost 5–10 years of life expectancy because of HIV.​

Mathers et al. (2000) Healthy life expectancy in 191 countries, 1999.
Healthy life expectancy in 191 countries, 1999

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.