Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A job description for a software engineer on Apple's "Clock Face Team" discovered yesterday points to the possibility of more robust Clock Face and Complications options in a future watchOS update. As discovered by AppleInsider, the listing is specifically seeking a software engineer with 3+ years of software development experience to join the Apple Watch team.

applewatch.png

Responsible for planning and implementing new Clock Faces and Complications for Apple Watch users, the software engineer will work in close proximity to the UI design, iOS Frameworks, and QA teams. Besides the expected timeliness and attention to detail stipulations, the rest of the description for the position at Apple includes the following:
Description

As a member of the team you will have many responsibilities relating to the design, development, and testing of the device software.

Collaborating closely with the design team to push the envelope on human-computer interactions.

Creating solutions tailored to the constraints of the software and the hardware of a small, low power device.

Working closely with the iOS Apps, iOS Frameworks and Hardware teams to create robust and maintainable systems that will stand the test of time.

Coordinating with the quality assurance teams to ensure full test coverage as well as to initiate focused testing on critical components.
New Apple Watch Clock Faces and Complications have been assumed to be in the cards for future watchOS updates, but what we still don't know is when they will be released. Last September, Apple released the first major public update for Apple Watch in watchOS 2, which introduced three new Clock Faces: two variations on Photo Album (one that shuffles through a set album, and one that sticks to a specific image) and Time-Lapse.

Currently on watchOS 2.1, the next update to the Apple Watch software (watchOS 2.2) is predicted to debut at a rumored March media event. Recent beta tests of 2.2 don't hint at the inclusion of new Clock Faces and Complications, so there's a possibility users will have to wait a little longer for these additions. The specific details for the event remain nebulous, but so far the "iPhone 5se," iPad Air 3, and new Apple Watch bands are all rumored to be included in next month's yet-to-be-announced Apple event.

Article Link: Apple Recruiting Specialized Engineer to Focus on Apple Watch Clock Faces

Reactions: macfacts

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Can't complain about having more watch faces, the more the better. I just wish there was a better way to order them.
I don't think we will ever be able to order or download faces. Like on the iphone, they control the UI. The best that we can get is the background - they added the ability to put pictures on the watch face like you can do on the phone.

Reactions: StupidMac

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple has a lot of open positions for the Watch team. Not sure why this one is getting attention.

gabriel193755

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
I don't think we will ever be able to order or download faces. Like on the iphone, they control the UI. The best that we can get is the background - they added the ability to put pictures on the watch face like you can do on the phone.

I see the opposite. I think they will authorise developers to sell new watch faces like apps in the app store.
With rules to forbid copycats to sell a non-official rolex watch face or from any other brand.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

I think you've taken the wrong meaning of order. I'm assuming he means arrange and not buy and there's no reason Apple couldn't create an interface in the phone app for that...

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I see the opposite. I think they will authorise developers to sell new watch faces like apps in the app store.
With rules to forbid copycats to sell a non-official rolex watch face or from any other brand.
That would be nice. We will see which direction apple takes. Normally, I would think that Apple who is obsessed with controlling the experience would not do this. However, given that they see this a bit of a fashion statement, they may be inclined to take a more open approach.

Again, I find it difficult to see them being open. A good example is what they did with Hermes, where they partnered with them but still control the experience.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm doubtful about that. At most I think they might be working on faces tied to specific bands or more partnerships like Hermés. I'm skeptical we'll see a watch face section on the App Store, just like there's no way to change the look of iOS outside of background wallpaper. But maybe futures watches will allow a way for the watch face to change depending upon which band is attached.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I'm doubtful about that. At most I think they might be working on faces tied to specific bands or more partnerships like Hermés. I'm skeptical we'll see a watch face section on the App Store, just like there's no way to change the look of iOS outside of background wallpaper. But maybe futures watches will allow a way for the watch face to change depending upon which band is attached.

The difference is iOS doesn't have any mechanism for changing themes, you can't select from a bunch of Apple's ones. WatchOS does support themes (ie faces) for you to switch between, and personalisation is part of it's appeal. I think (and hope) we will be able to download new faces in the future.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple has a lot of open positions for the Watch team. Not sure why this one is getting attention.

Which other job listings are there? I'm interested!
[doublepost=1455116059][/doublepost]
I just hope the Apple Watch 2 has a more modern and elegant look. Currently looks like a toy IMO. Maybe tweaking the crown to something like this and making it thinner.

SE_AT150M_23113422103001_1600x900.jpg

I'm hoping they'll do more partnerships like the Hermes collection. A Michael Kors one for example would help convince people who are still sceptical like my fiancée.

More collections, enhanced software, faster hardware and a built in GPS would make a heck of a Watch 2 announcement.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The difference is iOS doesn't have any mechanism for changing themes, you can't select from a bunch of Apple's ones. WatchOS does support themes (ie faces) for you to switch between, and personalisation is part of it's appeal. I think (and hope) we will be able to download new faces in the future.
I think we'll see new faces, I'm just not convinced we'll get 3rd party faces via App Store.

Maybe they want a nicer looking Apple Watch instead? :p

But every "nicer looking Watch" post just attaches a photo of a high-end mechanical watch. If I want my Watch to look like a mechanical watch I'll just buy a mechanical watch. :)

Which other job listings are there? I'm interested!

Most of them are just generic engineering/QA positions but here's one for a software engineering fitness manager: https://jobs.apple.com/us/search#specs&ss=watch&t=1&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&pN=0&openJobId=44081273

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Hopefully this means they fired the previous team. Next to the AW's clumsy syncing w/ the iPhone, the domination of kitschy faces has been the most annoying part of my experience.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
But every "nicer looking Watch" post just attaches a photo of a high-end mechanical watch. If I want my Watch to look like a mechanical watch I'll just buy a mechanical watch. :)
But you wouldn't have a smartwatch then. I'm not sure why the Apple Watch must only have the single design? Surely it's possible to have a bit of variety in their cases and offer something slightly more traditional looking for those who don't like the current one.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

It does set up people stirring thinking there's no one at Apple currently on this.

I think Apple will be keeping tight control on faces and complications. Could you imagine giving that control up to users on OS X and iOS, and thus the look of their product? Not going to happen.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I only use the Modular face. Modular was the face I most wanted to avoid at the start because it was the least watch like to me. It turns out though, its the most helpful with all of the info it provides. I'm not sure what I would ask for in the future other than maybe more space for more info at a glance. Then again, it could look bad with more info. I just don't know but happy someone is woking on more ideas.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But you wouldn't have a smartwatch then. I'm not sure why the Apple Watch must only have the single design? Surely it's possible to have a bit of variety in their cases and offer something slightly more traditional looking for those who don't like the current one.
well maybe they're working on that. I've never argued Watch should only ever have one design. But it doesn't bother me that they're not blatantly copying the look of an existing mechanical watch. I do find it amusing that prior to Watch all we heard was how no one wears watches anymore, then Watch comes along and gets knocked for not looking like a traditional watch.

I saw this story on appleinsider nearly a whole day ago.

Does that make this a very slow news day or very slow news team?
More like slow news week.

It does set up people stirring thinking there's no one at Apple currently on this.

I think Apple will be keeping tight control on faces and complications. Could you imagine giving that control up to users on OS X and iOS, and thus the look of their product? Not going to happen.
Well the open position references a Clock Face Team. I won't be surprised if we see more watch face customization but I'll be very surprised if Apple ever allows watch faces on the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.