Apple refuses to honor major in mac rebates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yrral, Nov 29, 2006.

1. yrral macrumors newbie

I purchased an ipod 30 gig with a mac book and printer on Sept. 15, downloaded all forms, jumped through all the hoops and just received a letter saying my claim was denied because one or more products were not a qualifying model. Well after waiting on phone for 90 minutes i was finally informed that apple had changed the models on their ipods on September 12.
    There was nothing on apple's website regarding this. In fact I was directed to the iod site from the school site. I even had the ipod in my cart for several weeks as we agonized what to engrave on it!
    Any ipods sold after that time DO NOT QUALIFY. My customer non service person informed me that I should have read the fine print on the back of the rebate form wich I did not download until after I received the equipment. She said that I could have returned the ipod (although apple specifically prohibits returns of personalized ipods for any reason) within 14 days. Any body else received this letter?

2. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

This happened to me when they ran this promotion back in 2003, except that I had bought a iMac and the saleman told me it qualified (it didn't.) When I got the letter, I called the Apple Store I bought it from and explained what happened. He said they couldn't give me a rebate but they would give me $200 store credit for whatever I wanted. I was very polite and willing to compromise with them. Give it a shot. But be sure to be nice.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sorry but it was pretty widely known that the iPod rebate was only for summer items and that the new C2D iMacs and 5.5G iPods and 2G Nanos were not part of the promotion.

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Something similar happened to me. The guy in the store told me that a Mac mini qualified (it didn't) and my iPod rebate was denied.

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was pretty big on the website that explained the deal, not just on the rebate forms. You always have to be careful with rebates.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

technically, they didn't do anything wrong, since its up to you prove urself. so, u can only return it, or pay for it. even if u "kindly" talk to applecare, i doubt they can give u rebate, refund might be the best u can get.

7. shecky Guest

shecky

this is why you should pay attention to details.

8. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yup :)

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Words to live by. Sorry, man.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

The customer non-service person makes a good point there...

It's pretty well known that any new models released after the promotion is announced will not be part of the rebate. It's been the same for a few years now.

Go to your Apple Store and be polite but adamant about what you think is fair (store credit, etc.). You'd be surprised what they are willing to do as long as you don't make a huge scene.

Oh...next time, read all the fine print and peruse the rebate form BEFORE you purchase the product.

11. yrral thread starter macrumors newbie

this would be fine if the part number was shown on the website at the time of purchase. The only "model number" shown is 30GB. Even now on the apple site they are selling 30 GB and 80GB. There are no other numbers visible. You don't know the model # until you receive your order confirmation.

12. shecky Guest

shecky

it shows the part number in your shopping cart, before you check out.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed, it does.

Attached Files: