Apple Registers New '.Technology', 'Applestore.berlin' Domain Names

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 20, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The land rush on new generic top-level domains (gTLDs) continues this week, and Apple has once again staked its claim to some of new domains being made available to the public. The most relevant new gTLD for Apple is ".technology", and the company has moved to secure several variants related to its products:

- apple.technology
    - ipad.technology
    - iphone.technology
    - mac.technology

[​IMG]
    This week's group is the just the latest batch involving hundreds of new gTLDs going live. Other recent domains secured by Apple include those in the .guru and .camera and .photography families.

As with the previously released gTLDs, Apple appears to have taken steps to block registration of other potential domains involving its trademarks, including some directly related to its business such as macbook.technology and other less related such as apple.construction.

While many of the new gTLDs coming online focus on industries and professions, another group includes geographic themes, and Apple has also signaled its interest in protecting relevant domains in these families. In what appears to be Apple's first move into this area, the company has registered applestore.berlin, listing the address of the flagship Kurfürstendamm store opened last year on its registration.

Article Link: Apple Registers New '.Technology', 'Applestore.berlin' Domain Names

2. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

I suppose this is all about circumventing people who will throw any old crap up on a website just to take advantage of a domain name. Apple probably thinks that would cheapen their brand as well, having a few of those out there.

Because otherwise, I can't see them ever actually wanting to use something that long in a URL.

3. macrumors newbie

why not .tech?

4. macrumors 65816

slow news day

5. macrumors 68020

heehee

Do the domains even work? I haven't actually seen one that works after a few years of this new domain registration.

6. Apple blogger, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

macrumors 6502

Could anyone explain me what are these domains actually and what is their purpose? I haven't understood about them

7. macrumors 68000

They are how the company in charge of domain names makes millions of dollars introducing a product that was never needed.

8. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I believe .tech is in the works, but won't be made available for a while yet.

9. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

When will .family be available? I'm quite interested in getting my last name .family, so that my whole family can have email addresses like

first@last.family

10. macrumors 601

talmy

Who would want to type ".technology" or ".photography" as part of the domain name? ".com" is so much nicer!

11. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

You'll have to settle for first@last.plumbing for now.

12. macrumors member

Is it possible to access sites that use these new TLDs? Anyone know if there's any way?

13. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

I'm settling for first@lastfam.com right now.

14. macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

They work just like any other domain name. The only difference for now is that you might have to manually type the http:// part depending on your web browser.

Of course if the company who owns the domain hasn't actually pointed it to a working webserver yet it won't load, exactly like "traditional" TLDs.

15. macrumors 6502a

Exactly. These new names are all pretty much money grabs by the new registrars. I mean do you really want to type in "apple.photography"? Probably not, and "Applestore.berlin". Unless there is a new TLD for every city, will you try "Applestore.Miami", "Applestore.NewYork" and "Applestore.podunk" to check them all? Unlikely, they'll just bing it or google it or just go to apple.com.

16. macrumors regular

This TLD thing is getting out of hand!

17. macrumors member

iphone5s.16gb.spacegrey.GSM.technology

18. macrumors 601

talmy

:(

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 6502

brinary001

God I hate the MR stories that have poor grammar. I shouldn't have to reread a sentence two or three times just to comprehend the message they're trying to convey.

20. macrumors member

Yeah… I've tried this to no avail. Maybe I don't know of a real site that's actually using one.

21. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't really see many people wanting to use most of these new TLDs, I'm pretty sure they are mostly to make money by forcing companies to register domains they will never use to protect them from scammers using them to pretend to be the company. I'll be surprised if there are ever many of these sites that don't just redirect to a .com or .org site.