Apple Relaunches 'Shot on iPhone' Marketing Campaign for iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple yesterday relaunched its "Shot on iPhone" advertising campaign, showcasing a selection of impressive still photos taken using its iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus handsets.

According to TIME, the new ad campaign comprises 53 images from 41 amateur and professional photographers from around the world. Each photo shot on Apple's flagship phones is set to appear on billboards across 85 cities in 26 countries.

[​IMG]
    Shot on the iPhone 6s Plus and processed with VSCOcam (Photo: Erin Brooks)

The move follows last year's "Shot on iPhone 6" photography campaign, which featured a selection of filtered and unfiltered still images sourced from social media feeds. That campaign began with a gallery of photos on Apple's homepage, before rolling out across print media, transit station posters and billboards worldwide.

While the 2015 ads featured a range of photographic subjects from landscapes to extreme close-ups, this year Apple has chosen to focus on portraits.

One of the photographers featured in the latest campaign is Erin Brooks, whose portrait of her three-year-old daughter (above) shot on an iPhone 6s Plus was posted on Instagram and picked by Apple. Brooks told TIME:
    The iPhone marketing push comes just weeks after Apple reintroduced its global "Start Something New" campaign, which features an online gallery of creative work made by artists using Apple products and apps.

Article Link: Apple Relaunches 'Shot on iPhone' Marketing Campaign for iPhone 6s

2. DFierce macrumors newbie

DFierce

You can tell they're shot on a 6s from that ridiculous noise reduction. *roll eyes*

3. ppcebay, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2016

ppcebay macrumors 6502a

They should improve low light images, then they can show off how great their camera is...

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

5. I7guy macrumors G3

I like the focus on the art of photography, rather than pixel peeping and test scores. Good move Apple.

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

We need a Drawn on iPad Pro campaign. Give the Apple Pencil a little love. Besides I don't think the 6S camera is that much better than the 6.

7. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Yeah because the shots in the commercials couldn't be shot on any other phone?

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

I must have missed the part in the commercials where they claim that those pics can only be taken on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

9. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

i know but they insinuate it...hence the shot on an iphone. What makes it different? I mean I take my 6s+ everywhere and use it to take shots. But what makes it different? The commercial make no mention of anything that makes the shots different. No specific features that could only be done while using an iphone.

10. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So no smartphone maker should advertise their camera because all smartphones have decent cameras?

The point is they were taken with an iPhone, not something else. These weren't special photographs Apple commissioned, they're curated from social media. All Apple's campaign is saying is look at the amazing photos people have taken with their iPhone.

11. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Who said that? I sure didn't. I would rather them focus on the features that make using an iphone different.

12. Yelmurc macrumors regular

I've always liked this campaign, showing what your product can do is always smart. They should expand this for Art with the Apple pencil and iPad pro.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I think what they are trying to show is that the iPhone is as good as any other camera. Not that it is better than any other smartphone. They are doing this by showing people's photos versus spouting off specifications.

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think the campaign is quite simple. Lots of people take photographs with their smartphones and lots of people own iPhones...so show off some of these photos. Phil Schiller obviously believes iPhone camera is the best so in his mind that would be a difference.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

So the "s" is 6s now means "so our ad creativity is sapped so lets just rehash a photography campaign from a year ago"?

16. Cuban Missles macrumors 68040

Cuban Missles

I thought the ad was basically saying - hey, you don't need a seperate point and shoot or an SLR to take great pics. The camera you already have in your pocket is great.

Onther message I think it sends is - hey, instead of spending money on a camera, spend money on an iPhone and you get a great camera as a bonus.

17. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why not if it was successful? That Mac vs PC ad campaign ran for more than one year.

This too. Campaign seems pretty straight forward to me and if it was successful last year I'm not surprised Apple is bringing it back. Maybe it will be a staple of iPhone campaigns from now on.

18. centauratlas, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016

centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

"using its iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s handsets"

Wow, so they used BOTH the "iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s handsets".

Sounds like it came from the Department of Redundancy Department.

:)

19. maxsix macrumors 68030

maxsix

Marketing Supremo

Apple... what a company :eek:

20. Pakaku macrumors 65816

Pakaku

Not until they can produce enough pencils for the rest of us.

21. thermodynamic macrumors 65816

thermodynamic

And a little too much unsharp masking (USM) and/or image resizing where noise is also going to be thrown out by default, they really should leaf the image alone (*snarf*) instead of misadvertising, or at least admit it's been enhanced...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Well, it took them 4 or 5 tries to get the same repackaged product (iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, and iCloud) to take off - assuming it has by now, and by choice instead of forcing the issue down peoples' throats (with shrouding other save options or only allowing the one "choice")

So repackaging the same vanity, egoist mugshot promotional will eventually take off too.

22. Zirel macrumors 65816

Zirel

I love the campaign, I think the message is very simple: "we did our job, if your photos don't look like these, don't blame the camera, you suck and your life is boring".

23. vooke macrumors regular

vooke

No phone manufacturer is going to tell you that their device or any of its features is not the 'best'. Isn't that commonsensical? 99% of a product hype is generated by the manufacturer, and the rest by deluded fanboys so please let Apple be!

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Because for a company that is, and is viewed, as presenting the most brilliant marketing and advertising campaigns ever it looks lazy. Take Coke, another advertising and marketing standout. Do you see them regurgitating iconic marketing phrases such as "Coke is it," or "Have a Coke and a Smile," etc. No, they are constantly refreshing their ads and campaigns.

It's not the length of the campaign, it's the regurgitating it once its been retired. That is what gives the impressing they are 6s-tuck on finding new angles to sell the model.

25. ppcebay macrumors 6502a

I too think this campaign is brilliand and like it, it has more to do with art than specs.