Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Our mobile touch lab saw nothing new in what Apple did. However, we were very happy that Apple brought a lot of stuff out into the public eye, because it greatly increased the worth of our own experience :)

LOL. It's not about what's possible in the lab, it's what you put in the end users hand. It's about the experience, hardware and user interface. The proverbial "whole being greater than sum of its parts". Clearly, it was a breakthrough product and most people were "blown away" with it. Obviously Blackberry, Microsoft and Google were unprepared for what Apple brought to the market.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It wasn't just a new introduction to the smartphone market; it launched the smartphone market into something more mainstream. Think about it: We had no fancy smart phones before 2007. The closest things we had were Blackberry phones, and those were not horrendously popular for a reason. I am unsure why history teachers aren't teaching this today, but 2007 marked another huge boom in the tech industry.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I believe Blackberry was very popular, but it was a phone for business people and nobody else. Maybe some uber-geeks had one for reasons unknown. I had... I think... a Sony Ericsson phone with proprietary jack connection when the first iPhone was introduced (this is one of the reasons I don't think 3.5mm jack should go away but I digress) and I fought, and fought, and fought the thing because it just never did what I wanted it to. And then someone has shown me what iPhone can do with a photo. Just zoomed it with two fingers. And I almost fainted. Alien technology, I tell ya.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I remember someone gave me a first gen iphone that I 'learned" on even though it wasn't activated. Right before I bought my first iPhone, the iPhone 4. I will never buy another phone other than iPhones.

Chloec

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
8 years ago,,,only know noika, moto.
the first mobile phone is from moto, black-n-white screen,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.