Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update for Apple TV [Updated]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today pushed out a new 4.4.3 software update for the Apple TV, although the company has yet to specify what improvements are included in the update.

[​IMG]
    The new release, which arrives as Build 9A4051, comes on the heels of a series of releases last month that started with version 4.4 to include support for iCloud's Photo Stream feature as well as several other additions but which required several minor follow-up updates to resolve issues.

Update: Apple has updated its release notes to reveal that the 4.4.3 update adds support for Netflix streaming in Mexico and an audio output issue when the connected television set is turned off.

Article Link: Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update for Apple TV [Updated]

2. macrumors member

scottdot

3. macrumors newbie

Cackeezy

4. macrumors 6502

Any new features added like last time (WSJ Live and NHL) ?

5. macrumors 6502a

Wow, HBOGO, Spotify and Hulu Plus! I can only wish...

6. macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

You were able to setup iTunes Match prior to this update. I'm going with Hulu Plus being added... :D

7. macrumors 68000

BC2009

Currently Apple TV is excluding certain playlists from my iTunes match that are uploaded to iCloud according to iTunes. I'm hoping this fixes that problem.

8. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

There isn't going to be anything to see here... it's a x.x.3 update.
    I just would like Netflix to behave itself and make it so I don't have to restart my AppleTV three times a week because of bugs.

9. macrumors 65816

Lately I have been getting some stuttering with iPad video mirroring. Fingers crossed.

10. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to keep your TV powered on. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

11. macrumors 6502

My Apple TV reset itself after the update and lost all log-in info. I have to re-enter my iTunes account, password, set up home sharing, re-enter my Netflix & YouTube info, etc. etc. All the saved info was lost completely. It was basically a hard restore.

12. macrumors 68040

MattG

Same here, for both of mine.

13. macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Ah, now that's a shame. I didn't understand why it didn't do that. Particularly if you are using StreamToMe to play music to the ATV2, it transmits it as a video file (or seems to as audio will not play if screen off).

14. macrumors 6502a

oh man, were you on 4.4.2? I don't want to have to do this for every update.

15. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

I just updated and it didn't lose any of my log-in info. It's all there. :)

Although, that DID happen to me on the last update. Weird.

16. macrumors 6502a

tarasis

From 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 went fine. All home sharing, YouTube and video details still intact.

17. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

4.4.3 Release Notes:

18. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I went from 4.4.2 to this new update and did not lose my settings. I suspect those losing settings are going from an earlier version that did cause a reset of everything.

19. macrumors newbie

Hooray! I was wondering what had caused my sudden problem of not being able to play audio through the optical port with the TV off. I thought it was either an iOS 5 AirPlay bug or the last Apple TV update.

20. macrumors newbie

czardmitri

My AppleTV downloaded that update the night before the iTunes Match release. Let's see that would have been Sunday night.

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors P6

Peace

The purchased TV portion is layed out differently now.

23. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

How is that? There is no Safari on Apple TV2.

24. macrumors 68000

I was expecting this since I noted that last week when Apple released the official version of iTunes Match they recommended that iTunes Match be turned OFF on the Apple TV (while explaining how to enable it for all other devices). Thus, it seems likely that this release also included fixes for iTunes Match (although not specifically mentioned by Apple).

25. macrumors P6

Peace

Another thing I found in this update.

It used to be when you played streaming music from an IOS device to the Apple TV the TV would show a blank music icon.

Now when you stream music to an Apple TV connected to a HDTV the TV is blank thus saving screen burn.

At least it's this way if you have a Toslink cable running from the Apple TV to an amplifier.