Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today pushed out a new 4.4.3 software update for the Apple TV, although the company has yet to specify what improvements are included in the update.

apple_tv_black.jpg
The new release, which arrives as Build 9A4051, comes on the heels of a series of releases last month that started with version 4.4 to include support for iCloud's Photo Stream feature as well as several other additions but which required several minor follow-up updates to resolve issues.

Update: Apple has updated its release notes to reveal that the 4.4.3 update adds support for Netflix streaming in Mexico and an audio output issue when the connected television set is turned off.
Netflix: Added support for Netflix in Mexico.
Audio Output: Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.

Article Link: Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update for Apple TV [Updated]

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Currently Apple TV is excluding certain playlists from my iTunes match that are uploaded to iCloud according to iTunes. I'm hoping this fixes that problem.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
There isn't going to be anything to see here... it's a x.x.3 update.
I just would like Netflix to behave itself and make it so I don't have to restart my AppleTV three times a week because of bugs.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Lately I have been getting some stuttering with iPad video mirroring. Fingers crossed.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to keep your TV powered on. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
My Apple TV reset itself after the update and lost all log-in info. I have to re-enter my iTunes account, password, set up home sharing, re-enter my Netflix & YouTube info, etc. etc. All the saved info was lost completely. It was basically a hard restore.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
My Apple TV reset itself after the update and lost all log-in info. I have to re-enter my iTunes account, password, set up home sharing, re-enter my Netflix & YouTube info, etc. etc. All the saved info was lost completely. It was basically a hard restore.

Same here, for both of mine.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I hope this update allows optical audio output, without having to turn on your TV. This option was there when I first got my ATV2 but it was lost once I upgraded to 4.3.

Ah, now that's a shame. I didn't understand why it didn't do that. Particularly if you are using StreamToMe to play music to the ATV2, it transmits it as a video file (or seems to as audio will not play if screen off).

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007

oh man, were you on 4.4.2? I don't want to have to do this for every update.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
4.4.3 Release Notes:

Added support for Netflix in Mexico.
Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
oh man, were you on 4.4.2? I don't want to have to do this for every update.

I went from 4.4.2 to this new update and did not lose my settings. I suspect those losing settings are going from an earlier version that did cause a reset of everything.

ibri

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Hooray! I was wondering what had caused my sudden problem of not being able to play audio through the optical port with the TV off. I thought it was either an iOS 5 AirPlay bug or the last Apple TV update.

czardmitri

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2003
SF
My AppleTV downloaded that update the night before the iTunes Match release. Let's see that would have been Sunday night.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
I was expecting this since I noted that last week when Apple released the official version of iTunes Match they recommended that iTunes Match be turned OFF on the Apple TV (while explaining how to enable it for all other devices). Thus, it seems likely that this release also included fixes for iTunes Match (although not specifically mentioned by Apple).

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Another thing I found in this update.

It used to be when you played streaming music from an IOS device to the Apple TV the TV would show a blank music icon.

Now when you stream music to an Apple TV connected to a HDTV the TV is blank thus saving screen burn.

At least it's this way if you have a Toslink cable running from the Apple TV to an amplifier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.