Apple Releases 4th Gen iPod

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

As predicted, Apple announced the 4th generation iPod today.

Apple's website has been updated to reflect the new product.

2. macrumors 68040

MattG

Looks very nice...

However, I will wait until the 60gb is announced (40gb isn't enough for me!), hopefully with AirTunes compatibility!

3. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

it's a little bit dissapointing, however I expect that we will see a 60 gig soon. maby in paris? :rolleyes: ;)

4. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I ordered a 40 gig on the 15th and it wasn't supposed to ship until the 26th. But my order has now been changed to the newer 40 gig and will be shipping by the 21st! W00t! :)

5. macrumors regular

Nothing special, but I do like the new look. I won't be getting one though, because I just ordered my mini the other day.

6. macrumors 6502a

technocoy

yeah,

my 30 3g is still looking fine. i will wait for the 60 as well. the clickwheel and extra 30 gigs is what i want and right now the clickwheel is all i get! The battery life is nice too, but nonetheless, i'll wait a bit.

7. macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i'm not quite happy with the new design.... but you can't argue with the prices... especially compared to the 1G's

reality

8. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

These look pretty sweet. I really would have preferred some AirTunes compatibility, though.

9. macrumors newbie

The 20GB has no dock and the iPod no longer has a remote control :rolleyes: is that correct?

10. macrumors regular

Apparently the software update is 4G only. Sniffle...no new features for my 30 GB 3G...

11. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

So it looks like all of the accesories work with the 4th and 3rd generations?

12. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Correct.

Edit: (No it's not correct. The tech specs list a remote although the order page does not)

13. macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I will order a 40GB one to replace my old 10GB 2nd Generation that has server me extremely well. Battery still kick ass, but my music library is already bigger then what my old one can carry. Time for new Apple Stuff!!

14. macrumors member

... am I right in saying that neither of these new iPods come with a carry case or a remote? When I bought my wife her 3G 15GB, it came with both these things.

This is a bit off in my opinion.

Stu

15. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Looks very nice, and I love the new touch weel. But I'm quite happy with my mini and have more than enough space, so I'm gonna stick with that, for now... ;)

I would like the enhanced battery life om my mini, too, though... :(

16. macrumors 6502a

Gizmotoy

The Tech Specs site lists that a remote comes with the 40G version, so the iPods still do have remotes... just not the 20G version.

17. macrumors 65816

billyboy

The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.

18. macrumors regular

Do you think that Menu, FF, RW, and Play light up like on the previous generation iPods?

19. macrumors 68040

MattG

That's my problem...that's why I sold my last iPod; just wasn't using it very much. Now if it could stream music to my stereo while I walk around the house with it...that'd be a different story :)

20. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah... I just noticed that. It's odd that it doesn't say that on the order page. Hmmmm.... I guess I'll find out soon enough... mine should be here by the end of the week. :D

21. macrumors newbie

$269 for Education Discount for the 20GB? YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

22. macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

heh i just paid a visit to apple.com before coming here and there it was. nice. dunno if it looks better than my lovely 3G pod, but the clickwheel seems more usable than a wheel with separate buttons…

also i'm impressed about the 12h runtime. it's the best thing they can do eventhough the 8h is usually enough for me already.

23. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Price of entry is cheaper

I said there would be a price drop for us mac users in the UK due to a weak dollar. £200 on edu discount is sweet! That was the supposed price of a mini not so long ago.

24. macrumors 6502a

so should I wait for the 60 gigger??

do you guys think the 60 will have better features, by any chance???

I'm conflicted.....

of course, I could continue on with my 3G 30 gigger, but I love the button configuration of this new one!

25. Guest

garybUK

Apple are going the right way here...

The iPod is what it is and should try to be something else... its a fantastic mp3/aac audio player and radio, colour screen, wifi, bluetooth etc.. will just ruin it imo.

Increase in storage, better navigation, bigger storage is all we need.

the ONLY thing i would like to see added to the ipod is maybe a line-in or optical in for recording.

The prices are soo much more competative now and the battery will shut some people up.

Another guddun apple!