Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
As predicted, Apple announced the 4th generation iPod today.

Apple today introduced the new iPod, the fourth generation of the world’s number one portable digital music player, featuring Apple’s patent pending Click Wheel, which combines the smooth and continuous scrolling of a touch-sensitive wheel with five push buttons for superior one handed navigation. The new iPod also features up to 12 hours battery life and Shuffle Songs, a new command in the main menu which gives users instant access to one of the most exciting new ways to listen to their music library. All iPods work effortlessly with Apple’s iTunes®, providing music fans with the best digital jukebox on either a Mac® or Windows computer and access to the iTunes Music Store, the number one digital music service in the world. The new iPod is available immediately in a 20GB model for $299 and a 40GB model for $399.

Apple's website has been updated to reflect the new product.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Looks very nice...

However, I will wait until the 60gb is announced (40gb isn't enough for me!), hopefully with AirTunes compatibility!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I ordered a 40 gig on the 15th and it wasn't supposed to ship until the 26th. But my order has now been changed to the newer 40 gig and will be shipping by the 21st! W00t! :)

whw5

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Atlanta
Nothing special, but I do like the new look. I won't be getting one though, because I just ordered my mini the other day.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
yeah,

my 30 3g is still looking fine. i will wait for the 60 as well. the clickwheel and extra 30 gigs is what i want and right now the clickwheel is all i get! The battery life is nice too, but nonetheless, i'll wait a bit.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
These look pretty sweet. I really would have preferred some AirTunes compatibility, though.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I will order a 40GB one to replace my old 10GB 2nd Generation that has server me extremely well. Battery still kick ass, but my music library is already bigger then what my old one can carry. Time for new Apple Stuff!!

stuartmingay

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2002
... am I right in saying that neither of these new iPods come with a carry case or a remote? When I bought my wife her 3G 15GB, it came with both these things.

This is a bit off in my opinion.

Stu

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Looks very nice, and I love the new touch weel. But I'm quite happy with my mini and have more than enough space, so I'm gonna stick with that, for now... ;)

I would like the enhanced battery life om my mini, too, though... :(

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
SilentPanda said:

The Tech Specs site lists that a remote comes with the 40G version, so the iPods still do have remotes... just not the 20G version.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
billyboy said:
The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.
That's my problem...that's why I sold my last iPod; just wasn't using it very much. Now if it could stream music to my stereo while I walk around the house with it...that'd be a different story :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Gimzotoy said:
The Tech Specs site lists that a remote comes with the 40G version, so the iPods still do have remotes... just not the 20G version.

Yeah... I just noticed that. It's odd that it doesn't say that on the order page. Hmmmm.... I guess I'll find out soon enough... mine should be here by the end of the week. :D

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
heh i just paid a visit to apple.com before coming here and there it was. nice. dunno if it looks better than my lovely 3G pod, but the clickwheel seems more usable than a wheel with separate buttons…

also i'm impressed about the 12h runtime. it's the best thing they can do eventhough the 8h is usually enough for me already.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Price of entry is cheaper

I said there would be a price drop for us mac users in the UK due to a weak dollar. £200 on edu discount is sweet! That was the supposed price of a mini not so long ago.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
so should I wait for the 60 gigger??

do you guys think the 60 will have better features, by any chance???

I'm conflicted.....

of course, I could continue on with my 3G 30 gigger, but I love the button configuration of this new one!

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Apple are going the right way here...

The iPod is what it is and should try to be something else... its a fantastic mp3/aac audio player and radio, colour screen, wifi, bluetooth etc.. will just ruin it imo.

Increase in storage, better navigation, bigger storage is all we need.

the ONLY thing i would like to see added to the ipod is maybe a line-in or optical in for recording.

The prices are soo much more competative now and the battery will shut some people up.

Another guddun apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.