Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage3.png
Apple has released a minor bug fix update to its Aperture photo editing and management software.
What's New in Aperture 3.2.4

- Improves stability on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
- Addresses an issue that could prevent the Viewer from updating correctly after editing a photo using an external editor.
The app weighs in at 635.54MB and is available through Software Update, Apple's software update website, or the Mac App Store for customers who have purchased Aperture through it.

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3.2.4 Update

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Must be a minor bug, only 672MB what a ***** joke.

Thought updates were going to start being smaller?

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
That's good, both of these are irritating bugs. Now where's Aperture 4? And accompanying synchronising iPad app? And that moon on a stick I requested?

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
The biggest bug with Aperture is that it exists.

Seriously... You're wasting your time using Aperture over Lightroom.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2005
That's good, both of these are irritating bugs. Now where's Aperture 4? And accompanying synchronising iPad app? And that moon on a stick I requested?

I agree -- Aperture 4 is LONG overdue. I'm sort of wedded to Aperture at this point, but it's sluggish and buggy and definitely could deserve some love from Apple....

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009

Two of these i am eagerly waiting for.

Not really. Lightroom's interface and entire method of getting things done is simply horrible.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Final bug fixes before Aperture 4 then...

Prob not. They have to update both Aperture and iPhoto when they drop MobileMe gallery support in a couple of months time. They will at least remove it from the application, and perhaps replace it with the new rumoured iCloud gallery (not to be confused with Photostream - which sucks) :)

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Lightroom's interface and entire method of getting things done is simply horrible.

Seems to be the preferred choice throughout the professional photographer community though.

One thing is for certain - Adobe will always make Lightroom.
Apple can abandon Aperture at any point.

imgmkr

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2004
South Korea

yap, especially with metered internet at us$10/GB! and i dont experience the bugs they fixed. still the Aperture crashes too often for a 3.x.x version SW. what the heck Apple?!

photobs

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
California, Merka
A day late.

Yep, Aperture 3.2.3 freezing my screen and constantly hard crashing my computer was just a 'minor' bug. Not even worth acknowledging, but what's two months of not being able to edit between friends, eh? Well a couple of pissed off clients and late assignments later I started to switch over to Lightroom. Nothing like changing your editing software in the middle of a job, or jobs. Joy of joys! I truly prefer Aperture over Lightroom but I prefer not toasting my hardware, not to mention hours of lost production, over Aperture.

I may come back but only when I know it's safe. I surely won't update again before waiting to see if they screwed the pooch(and their customers) or not first.

----------

I think they have one update package and that updates Aperture to 4.2.4 from any 3.x version, so it needs to include all the fixes.

3.2.3 wasn't a fix, it was a disaster.

I won't start using 3.2.4 until I know the coast is clear.

Actually, I'll probably start playing with it tonight. But I'm a sucker that way.
First crash and I'm out though. Make that, first beach ball and I'm out.
No need to wait for the crash. Haven't gotten one spinning ball in Lightroom yet.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Seems to be the preferred choice throughout the professional photographer community though.

Ohhh, here we go.
Wrong on both counts. Most 'professionals' (generalised for the sake of this discussion) will use whatever they have to, usually Capture One Pro.
Adobe will always make Lightroom? Are you sure about that? Based on what? What you *Think*? Adobe can abandon any of their product line at any point too as is the wont of any software company. It's unlikely, but not impossible.
Yes, Apple can abandon Aperture at any point, but it's unlikely. There's no sinister evil plot by Apple at work here. D'ya think?

Apple release a welcome update to Aperture, probably in preparation for bigger things (Aperture 4) and once again the internet experts come out and turn it into a Lightroom vs Aperture thread.

Well done.

----------

Prob not. They have to update both Aperture and iPhoto when they drop MobileMe gallery support in a couple of months time. They will at least remove it from the application, and perhaps replace it with the new rumoured iCloud gallery (not to be confused with Photostream - which sucks) :)

....sooooo, they update to Aperture, er 4 then? In a couple of months? They can release further point updates any time they like.
That's kind of the same thing, dude. ;)

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Yep, Aperture 3.2.3 freezing my screen and constantly hard crashing my computer was just a 'minor' bug. Not even worth acknowledging, but what's two months of not being able to edit between friends, eh? Well a couple of pissed off clients and late assignments later I started to switch over to Lightroom. Nothing like changing your editing software in the middle of a job, or jobs. Joy of joys! I truly prefer Aperture over Lightroom but I prefer not toasting my hardware, not to mention hours of lost production, over Aperture.

I may come back but only when I know it's safe. I surely won't update again before waiting to see if they screwed the pooch(and their customers) or not first.

----------

3.2.3 wasn't a fix, it was a disaster.

I won't start using 3.2.4 until I know the coast is clear.

Actually, I'll probably start playing with it tonight. But I'm a sucker that way.
First crash and I'm out though. Make that, first beach ball and I'm out.
No need to wait for the crash. Haven't gotten one spinning ball in Lightroom yet.

Not heard of Sarcasm?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Um...no.

As someone who used Lightroom from Beta to LR4 and switched to Aperture, I much prefer Aperture.

Both products give the exact same result if you know how to use them, its up to personal preference on which one you want to use.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Just curious why you think that. I tried Lightroom ver 1 and didn't like it. I didn't try Aperture till ver 3 and did. What are the benefits of Lightroom over Aperture?

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The fix to the viewer incorrectly showing images edited externally is very welcome, it's a really annoying bug.

Apertures biggest challenge will be when Lightroom is included in Adobe Ceative Cloud subscription membership, which should be coming soon. When people that aren't using Lightroom start getting it for 'free' with photoshop, premier etc, then it'll see a big uptake. The fact Lightroom works across operating systems is also a big advantage over Aperture. The Lightroom forums will be full of newbie questions just as Apertures where after it became available on the app store at a much reduced price.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Strange, om my Macbook pro this update came via de update function of the app store while on my iMac it cam via the software update?

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009

There are many of us who prefer apertures approach.

I'd go back to using bridge/folders and photoshop before i'd consider lightroom.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
I so wanted to like Aperture but i found on my older MacBook Pro it was just not responsive enough and using something like the loupe tool would make the MBP freeze up or the loupe itself be jerky.
I now have a Hex core MP and it does work well on that but its to late i am now a Lightroom user and some of the features in the latest release are great
eg; White Balance brush, awkward lighting no worries brush one part of the picture to neutralise a bad colour balance or if you like deliberately put a different colour balance to warm/cool part of a picture, great.
i have kept updating Aperture but the 3 upgrade was the last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.