Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
OK, now that that's out of the way, we can be SURE that LEOPARD WILL BE ON TIME! lol

That could well be what's sparked this release. All the recent news about the OS being delayed whilst they get vista running in it has now been disproven and everyone will expect the spring release once again.

crossifixio

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2007
London
Great news not because it supports vista but that it wont be delayed like it was reported a few days ago. My money is waiting for Leopard :D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Cool...but is there so much advantage of installing vista over XP when there is tiger already? Many of Vistas advantages over Xp can be found in Mac OS X...

Indeed.

The ONLY thing I need my Boot Camp/Parallels Windows to do on my Mac is run Windows programs.

XP does that perfectly well. I see no reason to tell ANY Mac user to use the resource-draining Vista on their Mac when XP can do the job they need with a lot less stress on their system.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I just downloaded it and it would not mount. I had to mount it in Toast and then it would hang just before beginning the install. Anyone else having issues? I deleted the image and am downloading it again, maybe it was a bad download...?:confused:

edit: all set, I downloaded it again and it works fine.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Indeed.

The ONLY thing I need my Boot Camp/Parallels Windows to do on my Mac is run Windows programs.

XP does that perfectly well. I see no reason to tell ANY Mac user to use the resource-draining Vista on their Mac when XP can do the job they need with a lot less stress on their system.

Some games will be Vista only (e.g. Halo2)

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
What is even more interesting is that Apple released this update. Why release it so early? They could have held off for Leopard's release. Not sure if it means things are moving swiftly, or if they know Leopard will be released at the tail end of their schedule and want to keep people from sending irate emails.

The seeded it to get feedback from customers before shipping the final version in Leopard. Recall Windows environments are wildly more varied then your typical Mac OS X environment so Apple needs this feedback to find issues that they themselves cannot feasibility test (without a large cost).

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Did they finally fix that trackpad bug where the trackpad randomly locks up for a while on my MacBook? Hope so, it might make it usable again!

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Did they finally fix that trackpad bug where the trackpad randomly locks up for a while on my MacBook? Hope so, it might make it usable again!

Hey, I thought this was a hardware defect! Guess I'm not alone....Good to know.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
The seeded it to get feedback from customers before shipping the final version in Leopard. Recall Windows environments are wildly more varied then your typical Mac OS X environment so Apple needs this feedback to find issues that they themselves cannot feasibility test (without a large cost).

Also, this now makes Macs a possibility for those looking to upgrade to a Vista PC.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
An earlier report that, support for Vista in Boot Camp wouldn't be possible untill October. So, what's the weather like down in Regina? :D

Ah, gotcha, I wasn't aware of this - thanks! :)

As for the weather, it's been a mixed bag lately - lots of sun, highs in the 70s, then rain, cooler temps and storm watches! Ah, March is a fun month... :D Where exactly are you in this fine country? :cool:

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Ugh. Vista.

Hooray for Apple, it can't do them any harm.:)

And hooray for those users that want / need this feature. :) :D

And double hooray because it seems to scotch the Digitimes Leopard Delay rumors. :) :D :cool:

But I'll be keeping Vi$ta well away from my nice shiny MBP when I get it. I've just spent the last two days (and I ain't done yet) setting up a Vista laptop for a relative and I now feel physically sick as a direct result. :(

SL

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
So what new stuff (apart from stability) could come in the final Leopard version?

Parallels/Fusion hypermix?

I pray for OS X file system support in XP/Vista. Limited to document folders only though. 99.89% of viruses out there are designed around infecting the OS and exe files. Very few viruses actually infect data files now a days, and none are cross platform compatible.
While there are 3rd party apps for Windows that can read HFS partitions the current versions for Windows is twitchy on a MBP.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Ugh. Vista.

But I'll be keeping Vi$ta well away from my nice shiny MBP when I get it. I've just spent the last two days (and I ain't done yet) setting up a Vista laptop for a relative and I now feel physically sick as a direct result. :(

SL

Grow up. :rolleyes:

Also, this now makes Macs a possibility for those looking to upgrade to a Vista PC.

Very few people are upgrading their system because of Vista. They are just ready to upgrade and Vista just happens to be pretty much all they can get now. How do I know this? I'm in "average" consumers homes day in and day out. People ask questions.

How about 64-bit Vista?

Don't go anywhere near it. Seriously. You think Vista 32-bit has software compatibility issues. Its nothing compared to the 64-bit version.

reckless_0001

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
Canada
Ah, gotcha, I wasn't aware of this - thanks! :)

As for the weather, it's been a mixed bag lately - lots of sun, highs in the 70s, then rain, cooler temps and storm watches! Ah, March is a fun month... :D Where exactly are you in this fine country? :cool:

North of P.A. ;)

Where'd my previous posts go? I don't think there was anything wrong with them. :confused:

edit: nevermind i read the rules. :)

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
I can't wait to try this new version of Bootcamp on my Mini! Hopefully everything goes okay.:apple:

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Very few people are upgrading their system because of Vista. They are just ready to upgrade and Vista just happens to be pretty much all they can get now. How do I know this? I'm in "average" consumers homes day in and day out. People ask questions.

*nods* People tend to ask questions when I'm in their houses day in and day out too.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Drivers CD now better!

The drivers disc for Windows is much better now! Before all the drivers were in one package, so if you had to re-install one driver, say for the Wireless card, you would have to repeat the whole process. Not anymore!

Each driver is it's own executable file, but there is still a Macintosh Drivers for Windows.MSI file which launches an installer for everything. But, this way if you have to install one driver by itself, you now can with ease. :) :D

For me this is a much welcome change, half the time I've installed Boot Camp on a Mac I get driver problems making me re-install drivers, this'll make things easier. ;)

Attachments

• bootcampdrivers.png
    bootcampdrivers.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 261

Nerdowl

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2007
uk
Ah been waiting for this - as a Computer Science Degree student we get Vista Business free from the MSNDAA so I figure what the hell I can run some windows stuff then. :apple: is still a better OS though ;)

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Grow up. :rolleyes:

Don't go anywhere near it. Seriously. You think Vista 32-bit has software compatibility issues. Its nothing compared to the 64-bit version.

On the contrary, driver support for Vista x64 is pretty much on par with Vista x86. I own a Ferrari 5000 laptop running Vista x64 and all the drivers are available and working well. My other system at home, an AMD Semprom PC also runs it driver support was no problem. Apple might be saving 64-bit support through BC in Leopard as incentive to upgrade.

Vista x64 has a lot of advantages, but not to the casual user, examples include, support for larger amounts of memory, up to 128 GBs of it, plus 16 TBs of virtual memory. Kernel Patch protection which makes it way more secure than Vista x86. Only allows signed drivers, again, makes it way more secure than x86 Vista. One thing though, its LOVES memory, I recommend a minimum 2 GBs to run it smoothly and even then its not enough.

thesnowman16

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
New Zealand
Typo?

Just noticed a typo in the spash screen after you click download on the website.... "Boot Camp is just one of many new features in Mac OS X Leopard, the next major release of Mac OS X, due out by Spring of 2007"

See if you can spot it ;)

PS. If only it was true :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.