Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
MacSA said:
10.5 Leopard is going be amazing.

So I'm sure everyone noticed that Boot Camp is a beta of a feature in Leopard, but right now it doesn't really seem OS dependent. I think this is just the first step of a virtual Windows environment, personally.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pardon my ignorance, but how is this good? Isn't the whole reason why we're supposed to "hate" windows is because it's a crap OS anyway open to so many viruses and such...how will this affect the mac computing environment??

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
babyjenniferLB said:
well the driver cd has the ati driver so game sould work just fine. but no isight or remote contol support
This I can live with.

I've been sitting on the edge about getting a MacBook Pro. If there aren't any problems reported after a few days, this release from Apple will have pushed me over to the "gotta get it now!" side. :)

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
No Media Center support though. Hopefully this means Leopard's Front Row will have all the features of Media Center and more. :)

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
BlizzardBomb said:
No Media Center support though. Hopefully this means Leopard's Front Row will have all the features of Media Center and more. :)

It is likely that the hack of putting both MCE2005 disc's on one DVD to install will still work with this, it just won't be the solution of choice for most who participate in the beta.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases Boot Camp Beta

Apple posted a new product called "Boot Camp" Beta which will come standard with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). The new software allows users to dual-boot Mac OS X and Windows XP.

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

Windows XP is not included, so users will have to purchase it seperately. Current users need the latest version of Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and the latest firmware updates.

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
Saw it a minute ago, some links are still dead, will be installing later this evening. I am running the onmac hack right now, interesting to see the difference.

kaeptn

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2006
Vienna, Austria
Hi!
I just found this on the apple website.
This is awesome! Great!
Thank you Apple. And now bring out the new Macbooks. Otherwise I can't use Boot Camp! :)

Bye,
Fritz

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
wow hell froze over

good move but I won't use it. I'll still to either no windows or virtualization. I don't want Windows to run un-isolated on the same system or hard drive as my Mac or any main system for that matter. Keep windows contained and I'm fine with it

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I wonder how much more difficult it will be to get both OSX and Windows running at the same time. It'd be a lot more convenient that way. This is still good for games though, unless there are a lot of problems on that front.

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Wow. Steve Jobs is a genius !!! Fricking too good !!

Damn, I now I gotta buy the intel mac when leopard comes around..

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
gauchogolfer said:
It looks like XP SP2 could be installed on an external drive, then accessed via Option key at startup. This might be a nice way to give it a try without risking valuable data.

Also, a nitpick with the thread title " Apple supports Windows"

From the article, as given by rdowns:

According to the BootCamp Install PDF, the XP partition muct be on the Startup drive

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Wow I never thought I would see this happen. However I think it could be good news. It can only increase Apple's market share so from a business stand point it's genius. I'll be interested to see how the graphics card drivers are.

lifeboy001

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
That's it, I'm officially buying the first intel iBook that comes off the line (soon i hope!)

This opens up the other half of the world to mac users. Finally something useful.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
miloblithe said:
I wonder how much more difficult it will be to get both OSX and Windows running at the same time. It'd be a lot more convenient that way. This is still good for games though, unless there are a lot of problems on that front.

Well the hopefully the graphics drivers are good and we can run some demanding games on the iMac and MacBook Pro.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
zapp said:
Saw it a minute ago, some links are still dead, will be installing later this evening. I am running the onmac hack right now, interesting to see the difference.

Isn't the major difference that you don't have to reinstall OS X? as you do for the onmac method.

Whistleway

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
It's a beta, I know. But just to let it out:

Even after installling the Macintosh Drivers CD, the Apple Remote Control (IR), Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse, Apple USB Modem, MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor, MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor, and built-in iSight camera will not function correctly when running Windows.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
Now I can finally convince my parents to buy a Mac. Personally, I have never found the need to run Windows, but that's just me.

This will lead to more users of OS X, I think, not fewer. People who have been reluctant will be convinced to switch, and once they see how much better OS X is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.