Apple Releases Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 to Reduce Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple has issued a Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 devices this evening to eliminate an issue where Verizon Cellular Data would be used while the iPhone 5 is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
    The update has to be performed somewhat manually but is delivered over-the-air, per the instructions above. Apple describes the update as an "important new carrier update" but doesn't provide many details on how/when these circumstances might arise.

Article Link: Apple Releases Carrier Update for Verizon iPhone 5 to Reduce Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage
  2. macrumors 601

Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    So they admit there was a problem. Explains my over 5Gb of usage so far.
  4. macrumors 68040

Feb 5, 2009
    Ok, so I really hope they work with Verizon to credit people's accounts for usage they never should have consumed.
  5. macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2012
    Ya i just got this message before this article came out and was not sure if I should do the update.
  6. macrumors 68030

Sep 22, 2009
    The interesting thing is that when I check my data usage on my iPhone, it is much higher than when I check on Verizon's website.
  7. macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2008
    Well this explains why I used 400MB in the first few days.
  8. macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2006
    I wonder if this affects CDMA carriers outside the US, too.
  9. macrumors 65816

Jun 7, 2011
    This must explain how I used 1GB in one day (no speed test or streaming).
  10. macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2009
    what about AT&T? Hit 1gb/day of use while ON Wifi. =\
  11. macrumors 68030

Apr 26, 2010
    This is going to cause a major headache for verizon. good. EVERYONE make sure you don't have to pay any overages at the end of this month. If they charge you claim it was the problem before apple's update
  12. macrumors member

Jan 25, 2012
    So glad this came out, hope it works. Ive gone through 2.3gb in about 9 days with wifi usage and low streaming.
  13. macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2007
    But I hope this fixes the absurdly high data usage while on lte.
  14. macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2012
    I was able to keep unlimited data from verizon but I was wondering why my data was so high make sure you dont have to pay an overage charge this month
  15. macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2003
    Austin, TX
    The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    2 GB already. I knew something was wrong, just not what.
  17. macrumors member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have had issues with my iPhone data usage not adding up with the data usage on the carriers website, however, I am using Telecom New Zealand not Verizon, strange..
  18. macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2005
    "Somewhat manually?" Man, if it were automatic, everyone would be freaking out about Apple doing things without user intervention. You just can't win.
  19. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2012
    I experienced that too on AT&T. I just turn off cellular data when I'm on wifi. Saves a but load of MB
  20. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2009
    Does anyone here have a clue about this? Under what circumstances does it use cell data instead of wifi?

EDIT: Never mind, ckelly might have found the answer.
  21. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy part of the Pacific NW
    I would like to thank all you Guinea pigs for testing this release for the rest of us, what with Maps and now ridiculously high cellular data usage.

Think I'll stay on 5.1.1 a bit longer...
  22. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2009
    Well, here is how you test it. First of all, don't install the update just yet. Then, go somewhere with weak wifi and good LTE. Maybe you can also check to see if it's using up cell data. Go to Check your IP address. See if that matches the wifi network's public IP address. If it doesn't, you're on LTE.
  23. macrumors member

Oct 11, 2011
    They need to do this for AT&T as well. I had it use 800mb overnight because of iCloud backup issues.
  24. macrumors regular

Jan 31, 2011
    How can you tap and hold the power button and slide the bar? Your phone will shutdown before you can slide the bar lol
  25. macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2009

I noticed if you disable LTE (on AT&T devices) it will help the issue ... for the time being. It needs to be fixed because I do not want to flip flop back and forth just to conserve.