Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a new tool called Apple Configurator which allows anyone to mass configure and deploy iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in a school, business, or institution.
Apple Configurator can be used by larger organizations and businesses to set up new devices, install enterprise apps, and enroll each device with a Mobile Device Management solution for remote management by an IT administrator. It is perfect for the classroom or student lab where devices need to be quickly refreshed and kept up to date with the correct settings, approved policies, apps and data. Apple Configurator can also be used to personalize devices with data and documents for specific users.
The app was released today in the Mac App Store and is available for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Configurator App for Mac to Mass Configure and Deploy iOS Devices

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Nice, haven't even tried out the tools in Lion Server yet to do this, so it's an even more accessible touch. Can see this coming into use for our institution, mainly just for the ability to install profiles for WiFi connectivity etc. :)

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
"Apple Configurator can also be used to personalize devices with data and documents for specific users."

Huh? Does this mean that iOS devices have user accounts now?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
"Apple Configurator can also be used to personalize devices with data and documents for specific users."

I imagine it means the control software can maintain multiple backups/accounts, and can quickly switch between them on a device.

I almost want this for my house.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I currently use the iPhone Configuration Utility that apple has to deploy units to our employees. Problem is that I use a PC to do this. Will this be released for Windows? as long this doesn't mean the end of support and production for the "iPhone Configuration Utility" or equivalent for Windows.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
will 30 USB ports be needed!? I don't like the logo much...
Actually one USB port and one PowerSync Cart for iPad will do it.

I imagine it means that each iOS device can be customized as its user needs. Not that there are user accounts on them.

dwright1974

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2007
UK

You can 'check out' devices to users, either ones created in the tool or from an LDAP source, e.g. Open Directory.

When it's checked out it can automatically sync Documents 'assigned' to that user.

Additionally, when you check the device back in restores any settings you've applied through Policies which you can also create within the tool without having to use Profile Manager.

This tool is really good. I work for a company that deals with Education so this is great for a school with shared iOS devices.

A couple of things I'd like to see, (version 2!?)

- Wireless configuration - it has to be done by USB so plugging them in one/two at a time or use a Sync Station

- Apple to bring VPP to the UK (Not specifically related to this tool but anyway) because we can only sync Free apps with this at the moment.

But all in all, great job Apple!

- D

wbalthrop

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Use with an MDM

Does the configurator replace on enhance Mobile Device Management software. We were about to purchase a package and now I'm trying to figure out if this will do the trick.

ds0

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Does the configurator replace on enhance Mobile Device Management software. We were about to purchase a package and now I'm trying to figure out if this will do the trick.

Definitely won't replace MDM. It's good for deploying and managing a handful in a classroom setting (shared iPads), but it isn't feasible to do most of what MDM will for a company of 50+ iOS devices.

dfek

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Use with an MDM

What does an MDM solution offer that this new configurator app does not?

anastasis

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I am interested in this for use in an enterprise environment but I have a couple of questions. We have several iPads that are used as calendars attached to conference rooms and this is perfect, but we also have several (~10) users beta testing an application that is being developed in house. I only want to use this app to push out new builds of the application to the beta users who own and configure their own phones. By bringing them in to this system are they required to conform to a standard configuration of the iPhone? Can they still maintain control of their phone and apps while allowing this app to push a single build out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.