Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macmini1-250x254.jpg
Apple today released a new firmware update for late-2012 Mac mini models to fix a problem that could prevent a USB keyboard from being recognized after the Mac wakes from sleep.
This update is recommended for Mac mini (late 2012) models. This update addresses an issue that may prevent a USB keyboard from being recognized after the system wakes from sleep.
Apple recommends all late-2012 Mac mini owners download the firmware update, which measures in at 4.8MB. It's available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store or directly through Apple's support website.

Today's update is the third firmware update the 2012 Mac mini has received since it launched in 2012. The first update in December of 2012 addressed an HDMI video flickering issue, and a second update released last month was a security fix that fixed an issue where EFI could potentially be overwritten without authorization.

The 2012 Mac mini is a previous-generation model that Apple replaced with the current Mac mini in 2014.

Article Link: Apple Releases EFI Firmware Update 1.8 for Late-2012 Mac Mini

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
yes!! this has been a problem for me since the 10.10.4 or the last EFI security update

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
How long ago would 4.8 MB make someone's jaw drop? A 4.8 MB update these days is kind of disappointingly small lol

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Yes I had this exact problem and posted about it on the apple forum I guess they do read problems from uses.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
We should be happy that Apple is servicing older systems still instead of complaining. I am sure the Mac Mini 2012 does not mind the attention, especially from its creator. :)

I have noticed some other (possibly) improvements after updating the firmware. Maybe it is just hoping, but something looks and feels different. I am testing out El Capitan and there are "a lot" of bugs with the 2012 box...

Last edited:

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I have one of these. Waking it from sleep was sometimes slow but a past update fixed this. I never had the problem with the BT keyboard though (although I think I was only able to wake using the BT M mouse.

I did learn smth odd last week, I accidentally shut off my BT antenna and could not find a way to switch it back on. I was able to login but then the antenna auto switched off. I was only able to solve this by using a Logitech wireless usb mouse. (I found no useful guidance on the Apple web site and even the Apple Care tech I spoke to had no idea how to resolve this.). I find it odd that Apple has (seemingly) has not developed a method to recover from such a mistake as well as no warning requiem get confirmation of the command before execution.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
WOW... now if they only made it compatible with the old 30" display. My old display was barely recognized by the Mini and needed a lot of restarting and unplugging-plugging in to get it working about 30% of the time.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
We should be happy that Apple is servicing older systems still instead of complaining. I am sure the Mac Mini 2012 does not mind the attention, especially from its creator.

This was more of an update to fix the past update that they caused, so yeah I'm glad they fixed it but the problem only surfaced after the last firmware update in early July. Whatever they did on the last firmware caused your Mac Mini not to sleep when it was set to sleep in settings. I had to set mine to never sleep otherwise I'd wake up in the AM and the keyboard and mouse would not awake my Mini I would have to physically turn on the power button. So they broke it with the last firmware but happy they are fixing it. The complaining comes when they shouldn't be messing stuff up with a firmware update, it now makes me cautious to perform another firmware after this one.

I've now done the update and set my preferences to sleep again after 1 hour so will see how this works tonight and in the AM.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This was more of an update to fix the past update that they caused, so yeah I'm glad they fixed it but the problem only surfaced after the last firmware update in early July. Whatever they did on the last firmware caused your Mac Mini not to sleep when it was set to sleep in settings. I had to set mine to never sleep otherwise I'd wake up in the AM and the keyboard and mouse would not awake my Mini I would have to physically turn on the power button. So they broke it with the last firmware but happy they are fixing it. The complaining comes when they shouldn't be messing stuff up with a firmware update, it now makes me cautious to perform another firmware after this one.

I've now done the update and set my preferences to sleep again after 1 hour so will see how this works tonight and in the AM.

Understandable, but I am all for Apple attempting to continue servicing legacy equipment, especially if it makes the legacy still relevant. At least they tried to fix the issue and not just make owners have to buy their latest mini which does not compare for some with the 2012's version.

I have a few very expensive recording equipment that after a few years the company(s) stop providing drivers etc. making it now basically a door stop...

firmware updates generally are to make equipment relevant for what is currently out there and usually not to fix things mostly, so Apple please continue to make our expensive purchases last a few years more...

Reactions: Henk Poley

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
I have a late 2012 iMac and I sometimes have this issue with my third party keyboard. It's rare, but it happens. I wonder if this problem is more widespread but hit mostly Minis because they tend to be used more with third party keyboards, not coming with keyboards themselves.
I don't think I've had this problem - or if I have, it was so rare I either wrote it off or forgot about it.

Maybe it would work better if you used an IBM keyboard like I do ;) (no, really, it's a genuine IBM keyboard)!

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
We should be happy that Apple is servicing older systems still instead of complaining. I am sure the Mac Mini 2012 does not mind the attention, especially from its creator. :)

I have noticed some other (possibly) improvements after updating the firmware. Maybe it is just hoping, but something looks and feels different. I am testing out El Capitan and there are "a lot" of bugs with the 2012 box...

I gave up on the El Capitan PB1 in < 2 days on my 2012 Mini. Too many issues, including Safari crashes. Annoying when I'm trying to work. CrashPlan crashes were just melting icing on the cake. I had to relegate El Capitan to only my 2008 MacBook Pro 17 for now, on which it seems to have few (if any) noticeable problems. Both systems have been retrofitted with Samsung 830 or 850 Pro SSDs, so that generally helps.

I don't know what people are talking about when they say 10.10.4 is so "slow" or problematic. It runs well - and certainly a whole lot better than the current El Capitan on my Mini!

Thanks for your quick note on this. Now that I've installed the EFI update, I'll try El Cap again when the next PB comes out (reverting back is painless with CCC).

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Just for the record this issue was happening on my Mac mini with an apple usb keyboard with numeric pad. I'll report back tomorrow to see if this update fixed the issue.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I think it is more like: someone at Apple was punished to use one of those minis...

I'd rather use any of the late 2010 Minis than at least the low-end 2014 Mini--and even the higher end without extra RAM since they confusingly decided to solder it in. If I replace my aging MacBook with a desktop, it's sure as heck not going to be with one of them.

I'm glad Apple is still supporting three-year-old hardware like this--not just making its recent software compatible with it but actually fixing firmware issues on the hardware itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.