Apple Releases Firmware to Activate PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 25, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

One of the new features found in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is PowerNap. PowerNap was introduced at WWDC 2012 and allows your Mac to continue to perform tasks such as receiving email and updating software even when it's sleeping.

Apple lists the full capabilities in this Knowledge Base document. Capabilities include getting new Mail, syncing Calendar, Contact and Reminder changes, and more. When plugged into power, your Mac can download software updates and make backups with Time Capsule.

Apple only supports PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs and beyond as well as the 2012 Retina MacBook Pro. The capability should move over to more of Apple's laptops as Apple makes a full transition to SSD. Built-in flash storage is listed as one of the requirements of the technology. Apple just released a firmware update that enables this functionality in the 2011 MacBook Airs, while support for the Retina MacBook Pro is said to be "coming soon".

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware to Activate PowerNap on 2011 MacBook Airs

2. macrumors 65816

voyagerd

SNB gets some love!

3. daneoni, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

macrumors G4

daneoni

If you have a 2.5" SSD (Apple branded or not)...you can forget it.

4. macrumors 65816

This is so ridiculous that it is still not activated on my Powerbook.

5. macrumors 65816

Not on my rMBP yet! :mad:

6. macrumors 68000

Kariya

You don't have a Powerbook. Stop trying to be funny.

7. macrumors regular

Yet the rMBP gets no love.. :(

8. macrumors member

Can developers make powernap work with their applications too?

9. macrumors 68000

Is there a real reason for this or is it just BS like many of the features left off older iphones? I can tolerate it on a mobile device but if they start leaving key features off of my computer for no reason (because lets face it even a core 2 duo has enough power to do any of these features) my 2010 imac will be my last mac

10. macrumors 6502

Is this a new requirement? I thought PowerNap only required flash storage and SSD, and initially didn't state 2011 Airs or newer only.

11. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

No desktop love at all?

12. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

13. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I bet you're a blast at parties

Interesting. So essentially PowerNap only works on Macs with built-in flash storage?

14. macrumors 6502

Can you go to the App Store to get these, or do you need to download them from the Knowledge Base article mentioned? (My computer's specs are here.)

15. macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup

16. macrumors regular

denaliOnDubs

I was wondering where it was. I looked under energy earlier and couldn't find it

17. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Apple never said that Power Nap v1.0 supports Macintosh desktop computers.

18. macrumors 6502

Flash storage is SSD. That like saying it requires a Hard disk, and HDD. Same thing.

19. macrumors member

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) - Coming soon

Just a tad bit odd how nothing is quiet smooth today when it comes to all the software updates.

20. macrumors regular

Not a fan of updating thru the app store app. Firmware updated without issue, thankfully.

21. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Nope. SSDs can also be composed of other solid-state memory technologies other than NAND flash, like DRAM.

22. macrumors regular

I have a MacBook pro mid 2009 with ssd installed as main drive. Would this till work? I haven't seen any options in system settings to turn the feature on. Just wondering. Not sure yet how useful this would be

23. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

No.
    It's very disappointing that Power Nap only works on Macs with the blade-type SSDs.

24. macrumors 6502

I understand that. It doesn't work on Late 2010 Macbook Air? It meets those requirements.

25. macrumors newbie

2010 mba

grrr... asides from thunderbolt and "i5", there is nothing that really separates the mid 2010 MBA's from the 2011's. :(