Apple releases first DRM-free “Free song of the Week” on iTu...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 30, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Tunes
    Link: Apple releases first DRM-free “Free song of the Week” on iTunes
    Description:: Apple has made its first DRM-free “Free Song of the week” available on iTunes using the new “iTunes Plus” audio format (well, actually it’s a Discovery Download, not sure what the difference is).

The track, “Lightning” by Eric Church, prompts a user to choose between the regular old DRM-ladden AAC file, or the iTunes Plus format when they attempt to download it. The warning box tells you that by choosing iTunes Plus, “you will always be offered the DRM-free, highest quality audio when available.” However, don’t worry that you’ve set the preference forever you’ll be stuck paying more for all your tracks (the iTunes Plus tracks cost about 30 cents more than the DRM versions). “This preference can be changed via the iTunes Store account settings,” adds the warning box.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

Woo Hoo... so when can we expect these songs to be all over bit torrent?

not that i'm gonna download it there, it's free on itunes ;)

3. macrumors 68000

I really hope you are kidding with that first statement...

4. macrumors G5

nagromme

FYI, Doctor Q maintains links to all the latest free songs (generally 2-3 per week) here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=265572
    (Not yet updated for today's track/tracks.)

EDIT: Note that this is the same track that was free last week, only now you can choose to get a Plus version.

There's also a free video (not plus) this week.

5. macrumors 6502a

psh good I love that its dmr free but its all a ploy to sell more ipods.... okay lets say you bought 2gb of dmr tracks now u get to spewnd 30 cents a song more and your 2gb goes to 4gb uh-oh my 2gb nano can no longer fit all my songs I need a new ipod! what about 128kbs dmr free tracks? most people wont care if its 256 or 128 they just want to get as much as they can on thier ipod. Sorry this is not a negative post by any means its just how things work. I will buy my tracks dmr free too! I just wanted to say that apple has alteier motives for offering them in "high quality"..... and I don't know if I even said what I was trying to say in this post I'm not very well-spoken....and have a tendency to ramble so I'll shut up now...:D

6. macrumors newbie

you always have the option of converting your songs into a different format. This will allow you to make smaller files.

7. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I am rather sure they were. But most tracks will be uploaded to p2ps from sources other then iTMS Plus, IMO

I hope