Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oralmonkey

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Can anyone confirm if the build number is the same as the developer beta (14B55c)? Thanks!

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Yes no problem, just go to SamsungRumors and ask there.
I'm sure a lot of Samsung fans are on the market searching for iPhones to buy after their expolsive Samsung device tried to kill them.
He was being sarcastic...

Update: most of those accusations were false, remember that guy with the Jeep? that was fake!

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Let's see how funny you are when Galaxy S8 comes out this fall?

I'm not attacking the iPhone 7! just the dual lens, it's a gimmick! remember after 2 years..you heard it from me first!

To be fair, about month ago..I also thought dual lens it's cool feature, but I was wrong!
[doublepost=1474565683][/doublepost]
I was talking about the autofocus, not the quality

There have been 7 generations of Galaxy phones and zero of them have come close to the workmanship and quality that Apple delivers with both the hardware and software. I feel so internally worried over here that I wasted money because of the impending S8 that will really show me how much of a bad consumer I am. Have fun, my friend. You're on an Apple forum.

I also don't see any reason why you'd want a phone that arguably takes twice as long to complete everyday tasks than even last year's 6S.

Reactions: Apple4everr

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
1. I'm loving all these in-person videos on MacRumors, great job to the team for producing them! :)

2. I bought the iPhone 7+ mostly on the value proposition of the new portrait mode feature. As an "experienced hobbyist photographer" (so definitely not an expert or professional) I'm a bit disappointed with the way portrait mode actually is shown in this video (and other demos so far). The halo and bokeh effect just looks unnatural and not camera like around objects/people. It looks like a poor Photoshop job where someone has manually blurred the background and hasn't been careful around the edge of the object. Is it still good for smartphone technology? For sure! Don't get me wrong. But I might also be guilty of making direct comparisons to good quality camera lenses I have used so I'm probably expecting too much. I've heard a few people say now that Apple can/will improve this over time in their software so let's hope so. I think it's a great, encouraging start, but from someone who has some small experience with bokeh across DSLRs and professional lenses (that I've rented, can't afford to buy them myself unfortunately!) the technology is not quite yet there, but I'm hopeful and quietly confident Apple will deliver over time. Ultimately, the fact that we have this quality of technology in our pockets is incredible. I don't think anyone, including myself, should overlook that.

Reactions: DravenInc

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
This bokeh effect its nothing new to smartphones. Galaxy S7 already surpassed the DSLR by having a faster autofocus

Samsung's phone cameras are awesome, but a bokeh effect without depth mapping can never be as good as well-implemented dual lens solution. The depth mapping is necessary to apply blurring relative to the depth of field. Without it you just get one object in focus and the rest uniformly blurred. Such an effect can work in simple scenes but it looks fake in a scene with objects at varying distances.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
HomeKit responses using Siri from my Eve monitoring products are a lot faster after the 10.1 beta 1 update. It also happened on the Apple TV 4 after the 10.0.1 beta update.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
1. I'm loving all these in-person videos on MacRumors, great job to the team for producing them! :)

2. I bought the iPhone 7+ mostly on the value proposition of the new portrait mode feature. As an "experienced hobbyist photographer" (so definitely not an expert or professional) I'm a bit disappointed with the way portrait mode actually is shown in this video (and other demos so far). The halo and bokeh effect just looks unnatural and not camera like around objects/people. It looks like a poor Photoshop job where someone has manually blurred the background and hasn't been careful around the edge of the object. Is it still good for smartphone technology? For sure! Don't get me wrong. But I might also be guilty of making direct comparisons to good quality camera lenses I have used so I'm probably expecting too much. I've heard a few people say now that Apple can/will improve this over time in their software so let's hope so. I think it's a great, encouraging start, but from someone who has some small experience with bokeh across DSLRs and professional lenses (that I've rented, can't afford to buy them myself unfortunately!) the technology is not quite yet there, but I'm hopeful and quietly confident Apple will deliver over time. Ultimately, the fact that we have this quality of technology in our pockets is incredible. I don't think anyone, including myself, should overlook that.

Did you see this TechCrunch article on the iPhone's Portrait mode? Some of their shots are damn good for a smartphone, especially the dogs and the mom holding a baby. The latter shows off how the depth mapping applies bokeh in proportion to the distance from the object in focus. In other scenes the effect fails but remember that this is Apple's first implementation which is still in beta. With hundreds of thousands field testing the effect it should improve dramatically for the iPhone 8.

Huawei also uses the same technique on their dual lens cameras so there will be competition to push Apple as well. I've not seen many shots by the Huawei but it also looks quite good and stores the depth maps so that one can manipulate the depth of field in post. Too bad Apple's so concentrated on dumbing down their features because that would be awesome. Maybe a 3rd party app will offer that feature.

Reactions: roncron

MeasterHD

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
Miami
Did you see this TechCrunch article on the iPhone's Portrait mode? Some of their shots are damn good for a smartphone, especially the dogs and the mom holding a baby. The latter shows off how the depth mapping applies bokeh in proportion to the distance from the object in focus. In other scenes the effect fails but remember that this is Apple's first implementation which is still in beta. With hundreds of thousands field testing the effect it should improve dramatically for the iPhone 8.

Huawei also uses the same technique on their dual lens cameras so there will be competition to push Apple as well. I've not seen many shots by the Huawei but it also looks quite good and stores the depth maps so that one can manipulate the depth of field in post. Too bad Apple's so concentrated on dumbing down their features because that would be awesome. Maybe a 3rd party app will offer that feature.

Huawei P8 in night mode without editing:

cb836198b08e70512a0759a366479e95.jpg

24f702b12b7ff23f49fc5f67b05241a1.jpg

And I'm sad, that iPhone are not able to do this.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Samsung's phone cameras are awesome, but a bokeh effect without depth mapping can never be as good as well-implemented dual lens solution. The depth mapping is necessary to apply blurring relative to the depth of field. Without it you just get one object in focus and the rest uniformly blurred. Such an effect can work in simple scenes but it looks fake in a scene with objects at varying distances.
Thanks. the reason I posted that comment because I was hopping someone will give me a reply like you just did.
But I'm still shaking my head on this, can it also be done by using dual pixels in the image sensor? or why does DSRL are able to that without requiring a secondary lens?

teflonthadon

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Yes no problem, just go to SamsungRumors and ask there.
I'm sure a lot of Samsung fans are on the market searching for iPhones to buy after their expolsive Samsung device tried to kill them.
One thing Samsung has… wait for it … an exploding battery … from the headphone jack joke he made

Last edited:
Reactions: Apple4everr

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Did you see this TechCrunch article on the iPhone's Portrait mode?

I did, yes, thanks for sharing. Many of those photos looked like they had employed the old photography trick where the photographer rubs vaseline around the lens to get the bokeh effect.

I'll preface this by saying that I know we should not be comparing apples to oranges (i.e. iPhones -v- DSLR cameras), BUT, I think it's worth showing the difference between the results of both cameras to show how far Apple still has to go to truly nail the bokeh effect. If they can do this through better software and improved lenses over time then awesome, can't wait.

The images below were taken with a professional lens and DSLR camera that show what sharp-as-atack edges should look like with background blur/bokeh. Can you see how they make the iPhone 7+ shots look unrealistic and computer generated rather than more natural? Again, not trying to devalue the iPhone 7+, I get it's a smartphone, and for the record, I've purchased one and it's currently in transit so I'm invested in it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pietr...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thoma...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/louis...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/moodl...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thoma...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

Reactions: 6836838

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
It's a depth map created by the stereo arrangement of the two cameras. Singles out the layer it thinks you are shooting as the subject, and progressively blurs the receding layers in both directions, foreground and background using artificial means. Looks pretty great, though.

It's a 9-layer process, by the way, so you're not just getting a cutout of the subject and a blurred everything else. It seems to put a lot more into it.
Sure, but any photographer worth his salt will be able to tell it's nothing more than a digital effect.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
But is 10.1 gonna fix "REAL" issues people are experiencing?

That's all I'm concerned about.

Screw you Apple.

Reactions: roncron

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011

Did you _really_ think you were going to get a DSLR quality camera from a lens (or two) that can sit on your little finger?

mavtech

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
I did, yes, thanks for sharing. Many of those photos looked like they had employed the old photography trick where the photographer rubs vaseline around the lens to get the bokeh effect.

I'll preface this by saying that I know we should not be comparing apples to oranges (i.e. iPhones -v- DSLR cameras), BUT, I think it's worth showing the difference between the results of both cameras to show how far Apple still has to go to truly nail the bokeh effect. If they can do this through better software and improved lenses over time then awesome, can't wait.

The images below were taken with a professional lens and DSLR camera that show what sharp-as-atack edges should look like with background blur/bokeh. Can you see how they make the iPhone 7+ shots look unrealistic and computer generated rather than more natural? Again, not trying to devalue the iPhone 7+, I get it's a smartphone, and for the record, I've purchased one and it's currently in transit so I'm invested in it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pietr...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/louis...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/moodl...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

I get what you are saying but even with a DSLR you want always be getting sharp-as-tack edges. That still depends on focal length, distance to subject, aperture...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89697...C9-FT3zUV-epEX3c-pXku6r-C5MfGU-duQDoz-rsktxh/

Look at this pic on flickr. Taken with a D7000 85mm f1.8
If you download the original, everything in the same plane as the eyes are tack sharp. Then you get the gradual drop-off from there. Thats what I am wondering about the iPhone portrait mode. Will it have this nice smooth drop-off. I have seen a couple pics that look like it does, but haven't been able to download any original size files to get a better look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.