Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra update to public beta testers, one day after seeding the beta to developers and two days after releasing the first version of macOS Sierra to the public.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the macOS Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas should not be installed on a primary machine due to the potential for instability.

macossierraroundup-800x463.jpg

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 appears to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that have popped up since macOS Sierra was first released. It also includes album support in Photos for the new Portrait feature in iOS 10 on the iPhone 7 Plus.

macOS Sierra is a major update that introduces features like Siri support, cross device copy paste, improved iCloud functionality, the ability to unlock a Mac with the Apple Watch, an Optimize Storage option, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases First macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta for Public Beta Testers

edbeta

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
MONTREAL
Final Cut Pro have the TimeCode Display Bug do this Beta solve this , the Same Bug Appear Last Year with the Release of El Capitan dont understand how Apple let this Happen Again , Very Furious About the Repeat.

Suspended
Jul 20, 2011
Okay, here are some problems:
Login-Screen only partially visible after sleep mode, no login possible, despite keyboard reactions.
Another problem: Display problems with 4k monitors (flickering, esp. left side) and
iTunes is way slower than in the previous macOS.

Reactions: charley52

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Is anybody using Final Draft 9 by any chance? I'm seeing all kinds of weird flickering under Sierra and it's bumming me out...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
For anyone using Fusion 7: it won't open in Sierra. But other apps I've had for over a decade do. I'm always puzzled about what crashes an app after an update, and why some just go on and on without a hitch.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Is it only me who widh they would do new os rekeases every 2nd year instead of 1 ? Now when they finally made el capitan stable they relese sierra and start over again doing bug fixes for a year then relese new again and start over..

Reactions: NapoleonIV

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Is it only me who widh they would do new os rekeases every 2nd year instead of 1 ? Now when they finally made el capitan stable they relese sierra and start over again doing bug fixes for a year then relese new again and start over..
Serious software has some versions designated as LTS.

Homer Simpsson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2016

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra update to public beta testers, one day after seeding the beta to developers and two days after releasing the first version of macOS Sierra to the public.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the macOS Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and macOS Sierra betas. Betas should not be installed on a primary machine due to the potential for instability.

macossierraroundup-800x463.jpg

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 appears to focus on bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that have popped up since macOS Sierra was first released. It also includes album support in Photos for the new Portrait feature in iOS 10 on the iPhone 7 Plus.

macOS Sierra is a major update that introduces features like Siri support, cross device copy paste, improved iCloud functionality, the ability to unlock a Mac with the Apple Watch, an Optimize Storage option, and more.

Article Link: Apple Releases First macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta for Public Beta Testers

1.12.1 PB breaks my wifi which shows as hardware not installed. Wifi module is bcrm4360 and works in bootcamp and Sierra before update. Luckily, there is a time machine to fall back on. After restore to Sierra, wifi shows up again

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
1.12.1 PB breaks my wifi which shows as hardware not installed. Wifi module is bcrm4360 and works in bootcamp and Sierra before update. Luckily, there is a time machine to fall back on. After restore to Sierra, wifi shows up again
Pass then. Thanks.

bruvva74

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
QLD, Australia
Okay, here are some problems:
Login-Screen only partially visible after sleep mode, no login possible, despite keyboard reactions.
Another problem: Display problems with 4k monitors (flickering, esp. left side) and
iTunes is way slower than in the previous macOS.

Interesting - I'm seeing the opposite with iTunes. Much snappier with this beta (still not saying much for iTunes! - but definitely improved since GM)

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Issues for me so far after installing Sierra (might not be apple issues because just about every app i owned also updated itself at the same time):
- Safari is choppy and often just hangs loading pages
- Flash under Safari has input issues such as not being able to type into text fields sometimes for example looking up a word in Facebook's Scrabble
- Audio dropouts over USB to a DAC
- Terminal seems to have forgotten my preferences like background color, font, etc. and there is no longer a transparency option.
- Parallels running Win10 drops my VPN every 15 min and the Win10 itself is quite laggy often beach-balling
- iDisplay2 monitor color profiler no longer runs, in the trash it goes. Setting the color profile using Apples simple white-point setting often entirely disregards your setting once you say 'save'
- General beach-balling in every app

But I have to admit one improvement did come of it so far I am once again able to boot my laptop (Macbook Pro 2013 with 27" LED Cinema display attached and still get the login menu. For the past 2 years I have had to disconnect the 27" display during boot otherwise I couldn't login. So cheers for that fix.

Now here is the thing that burns me up most about Sierra... sure Siri is a great addition but why the h cannot my desktop control my Homekit devices same as my iPad? Why isn't there a Home app for it? My laptop surely has both wifi and bluetooth to control these devices right? Shouldn't the desktop be the Homekit hub instead of some apple tv or ipad? Just makes no sense to me why i can't say 'hey siri turn off the lights' at my desk. Also there should be an option for always listening similar to how an iPad works while plugged into power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.