Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan to public beta testers, just days after first releasing the beta to developers and roughly a week and a half before OS X El Capitan will be released to the public on September 30.

The new beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

os_x_el_capitan_roundup-800x409.jpg

The first beta of OS X 10.11.1 introduced support for Unicode 8 and new emoji like taco, burrito, cheese wedge, hot dog, middle finger, and unicorn head. The emoji are also included in iOS 9.1, which is also in testing.

Beyond new emoji, there have been no other outward-facing changes discovered, suggesting OS X 10.11.1 is a minor update that will bring bug fixes and performance enhancements. According to Apple's release notes, the beta offers stability, compatibility, and security improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases First OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan Public Beta

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
These betas are a bit schizophrenic. 10.11.1 beta coming before 10.11.0 release? Just seems strange to me. But hey, why not. :)
Well thank god, we needed updated emojis.
No joke. Words are so last-year. Pretty soon we'll have entire sentences made up of nothing but pictures... WAIT A SEC! Isn't that Chinese?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
These betas are a bit schizophrenic. 10.11.1 beta coming before 10.11.0 release? Just seems strange to me. But hey, why not. :)

No joke. Words are so last-year. Pretty soon we'll have entire sentences made up of nothing but pictures... WAIT A SEC! Isn't that Chinese?
Quick fact: During WWII there was discussion about making traffic signs with Chinese GLOBALLY. Crazy hey. Just goes to show how effective and fantastic ideograms/sinograms are.

Btw, I never got my Spock Vulcan salute emoji. I thought that was supposed to be a big deal?

Last edited:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009

Are you familiar with Egyptian hieroglyphs? Mayan?

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013

This is a necessary step for improved stability that we all asked for. All the new fixes for the last 1-2 months is not considered tested enough to be included in 10.11.0 so they have been pushed to .1 instead which means that 10.11.0 may not be as optimized as it could but it's been tested for a long time without finding major bugs and now the .1 release will get a lengthy test period as well.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Dammit Apple.
Not that much longer until the official release date, and they push out 10.11.1 to public testing.

I was kinda hoping the public build of this beta update wouldn't appear until after the official release date of El Capitan.

Since accidentally installing the GM candidate on my main disk, I've been planning to opt out of beta updates come the release date (didn't choose to do so right away, in case a second GM candidate was released). But this is a temptation that's hard to resist.

beebarb

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
how can i install this if i have 10.10.5 ?
You'd have to install the OS X El Capitan GM candidate first.

Considering that you are still on Yosemite, 10.10.5, I would advise against installing the GM candidate of El Capitan so close to the official release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.