Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_9_icon.jpg
Following yesterday's big media event, Apple seeded the first beta of iOS 9.1 to developers, and now the company has made iOS 9.1 available to public beta testers. iOS 9.1 includes features for the iPad Pro, adding support for accessories like the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil, both of which were designed for the larger-screened tablet.

iOS 9.1 also offers support for Unicode 8, introducing a selection of new emoji like taco, burrito, unicorn face, hot dog, popcorn, turkey, cheese wedge, and more. In the Settings app, users have found a new Siri setting that lets you give voice examples for the "Hey Siri" feature that can be activated whenever the iPhone is connected to power. With the new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, this will be essential because "Hey Siri" activation can be used even when an iPhone is not plugged in.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program appear to be receiving the iOS 9.1 beta as an over-the-air update, so it may be available to testers who were previously running iOS 9 beta 5.

People who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and OS X betas.

iOS 9.1 will likely be released to the public alongside the iPad Pro in November.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Public Beta of iOS 9.1

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
dumb question.. for those running beta, are you able to upgrade to iOS 9 official/regular version once it is released on the 16th? or do we need to restore the phone to get the official iOS 9...?

Reactions: goldenboy48

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Wow, I went from PB to GM 9.0 and now 9.1 beta. I hope there's enough housework between releases that there's not going to be crud from earlier releases affecting the new beta. :D

Reactions: Douglas B

mialterego

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
I am a Public Beta tester. When iOS 9.0 is released to the general public...how do I get rid of getting the beta updates? Do I just delete the profile or how do I go about it?

David Parke

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
I must have been missing something because I never got the Developer push of the GM or 9.1 so I just went and signed up for the public beta and got 9.1 that way. What a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.