Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peeeter

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
iMovie bad video quality

nice update, but iMovie is still useless because of bad video quality.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
The other day my friend was complaining about how Vista was crashing, but yet praising MS as they always release Service Packs to help with the bugs...I pointed out that we're on 10.4.10, nearly 10.4.11, and he told me that its impossible to be a Mac user without knowing everything complicated about computers...If he only knew...

IMHO one of the biggest ironies about Macs is that they're computers that are designed to be simple but that are usually bought by power users, who are well able to cope with more complex computers.

Macs should be used by grandmas and office workers—people who don't even know what a computer is. But that's just not the case. They use Windows computers.

Instead, Macs are bought be people who are experienced computer users and therefore have the foreknowledge to know that Macs make computing easier and more elegant.

I wonder if Apple have finally realised this is recent releases of OS X, by including sophisticated functions such as Automator, or multiple desktops. These tools are easy to use, but powerful, and way beyond what grandma would want or need. Far beyond the kind of functions that Herzfeld and co would have envisioned back in the early eighties.

[/troll]

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
New "flippy triangles" in iPhoto?

Sorry if someone has already pointed this out. Has anyone noticed the new combined folder+disclosure triangle? If you have a folder in the album section of iPhoto, the triangle is on the folder.

I'll try to attach a screenshot to show what I mean. Is this a glitch or a new direction for flippy triangles?

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    14 KB · Views: 685

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The only apps that are 64-bit in Leopard I believe is Chess. There isn't anything good that 64-bit would provide any of the built in apps.

I wouldn't expect much but it would make sense for apple to throw in one or two, even if it's only to provide an example for devs.

With Chess, is there a way to tell that it is 64 bit, is that shown in the get info box? And is there a way to run it in 32 bit mode, like the checkbox you can use to force rosetta with universal apps on intel macs?

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Did this update do anything for setting the start and stop frames for the ken burns effect outside of the picture... i.e. start with the entire picture in view, even if there has to be black on either side of the picture to get the entire thing to fit into the screen? The previous iMovie handled that with no problem, but '08 made you take up the entire screen with a picture when doing ken burns. I'll be way excited if that is the case!!! I'm stuck at work and can't go try it for myself.

Glad to see I am not the only one getting p'ed off with this - I use photos a lot in my family movies as I dont always carry a video camera around so find that it works well to fill out a holiday movie. Unfortunately this version doesnt seem to fix that - it also still doesnt seem to let me preview the ken burns effect either :mad:

I really like iMovie 08 - I love the way it catalogues my video onto my external drive and that I can easily pick and choose clips. The inability to edit the audio levels with the same flexibility you had in the timeline, the limited ken burns ability and the fact you cant import mpegs from iphoto all add up to driving me nuts - I really dont want to go back to iMovie HD as I much prefer the way you select clips and the ease with with you can build the movies in iMovie 08, but without those features it isnt really much of an upgrade for me :(

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Anyone know if this has fixed the iPhoto+Front Row crashes? It hasn't appeared in my software update yet :(

Well, it removes "Events" from the list in Front Row, which prevents Front Row from crashing when you try and play an event. I don't see that as a solution since now you must create albums if you want discrete events to show in Front Row. What's the point of introducing "events" in iPhoto for organization if we are forced to revert to the "old" method of creating new albums?

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Sorry if someone has already pointed this out. Has anyone noticed the new combined folder+disclosure triangle? If you have a folder in the album section of iPhoto, the triangle is on the folder.

I'll try to attach a screenshot to show what I mean. Is this a glitch or a new direction for flippy triangles?

Is that iPhoto? I don't see that in my update.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
So can we...

Save a frame from a movie as a pic or jpg?
Edit Chapters?

Just curious... I did the install, but didn't notice anything different.

This new iMovie was the biggest step backwards apple has ever taken. Is is total crap. It is dumbed down to grade school level and lacks any quality editing tools.

I guess I'll go back to using an old version of final cut pro I used to use.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
unfortunately for me iphoto is still compressing images prior to putting them on a web gallery.

I wish they'd make this an option. However, I did a test with two 4 megapixel photos. I had them blown up at Costco to 8"x10" twice: once as the original 1.5 MB images straight from the camera, and then again as the 350 KB files that I downloaded from my .Mac web gallery (these are the ones that iPhoto recompressed when it uploaded).

I have to say that at 8x10 the difference was imperceptible. I shuffled them up and studied both sets of photos and was unable to tell which was clearer, sharper, or had less compression artifacts. One part of one photo *maybe* had a tiny bit of artifact, but on the whole it was pretty impressive (to me).

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005

that's a glitch.

You probably already know, but it goes away after closing and reopening - I had that once before the update.

A very real change from the update is that importing images now offers to delete your images from the source AFTER importing.

Forced Perfect

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2004
Toronto, Canada.
Doesn't address the two things I want fixed/added:

1. Hitting delete doesn't seem to work when in an album (or maybe only Smart Albums). I have to go to library view to delete photos from my "not in an album" album. :p

2. I want support for Canon 40D RAW files! That's all I care about right now.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I just received the following updates an hour ago.

Numbers Update 1.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with tables and performance

Pages Update 3.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with change tracking and performance

Keynote Update 4.0.1
This update primarily addresses issues with builds and performance

Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update
his EFI Firmware Update fixes several fan behavior and Boot Camp issues on Mac Pro computers.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your computer, your BootROM Version will be either:
MP11.005C.B08 or MP21.007F.B06

You can confirm the version of the Boot ROM installed on your computer using System Profiler.

To complete the firmware update process, please follow the instructions in the updater application (/Applications/Utilities/Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update.app). The updater will launch automatically when the Installer closes.

None of these require a reboot. (unless you run the firmware update program, which requires a shutdown)

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
Doesn't address the two things I want fixed/added:

1. Hitting delete doesn't seem to work when in an album (or maybe only Smart Albums). I have to go to library view to delete photos from my "not in an album" album. :p

to delete from the library when in an album, hit control-option-delete (might be control-option-command-delete, or just command-delete, if forget for sure)

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Hopefully this resolves iWeb '08 crashing *repeatedly* and *corrupting* my web site created under the previous version of iWeb. I plunked down money to buy iLife '08 and iWeb '08 has been really horrible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.