Apple Releases iMac EFI Update 2.0 to Fix Sleep and Thunderbolt Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple has released an update for late 2012 iMac models that fixes issues related to sleep and Thunderbolt, as well as compatibility when using 5GHz Wi-Fi frequencies. The update is recommended for all "late 2012" iMacs.

iMac EFI Update 2.0 can be downloaded from Apple's support site or through the Mac App Store on affected iMacs.
    It's not clear if this is in addition to the Wi-Fi Update released earlier today, or if it includes that fix as well as a few more iMac-specific ones.

Update: Apple has released a similar MacBook Pro Retina EFI Update v1.1 for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Article Link: Apple Releases iMac EFI Update 2.0 to Fix Sleep and Thunderbolt Issues

2. macrumors 65816

Locoboof

3. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Both updates (the WiFi update *and* the EFI update) came through on my brand new 21" iMac. Must be distinct.

4. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

I wonder if this fixes the unmount on sleep w/ USB 3 hard drives. Otherwise what other sleep issues is the new iMac having? (Not home to try right now). Curious b/c the USB 3 issue was the only one I experienced. I wish Apple was more detailed in their update synopsis.

5. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

The picture for this story is skewed in the sidebar.

Yes I know it's a small thing...

6. macrumors 68000

Lancer

Good to see they are on top of things, just wondering how many updates will be waiting for new iMac users when we get them?

7. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

By the time I get mine I feel like they will have everything fixed lol

8. macrumors 6502

When are they going to release a fix for the intermittent freezing on the rMBP's?

9. macrumors 65816

you should pm the moderators instead of posting in the forums.

10. macrumors newbie

Good to know there is a fix
    And I agree the iMacs are Late

11. macrumors newbie

Still problems of this nature for rMBP Mid 2012. Are they working backwards?

12. macrumors regular

Both updates said not for my system. I have a 27" 2012 iMac that just arrived today.

13. macrumors 65816

Will this help my 21.5" late 2012 iMac? I have issues waking from sleep whereby it wakes to a white screen only.

14. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Ok, maybe I will.

15. macrumors member

16. macrumors newbie

and mine (5 day old iMac) says this software is not supported on my system for both upgrades. Weird.

17. macrumors member

I posted this in another thread last night - I spent some time on the phone last night with Apple support after both of yesterday's updates failed on my 27", 2012 iMac. They were surprised at the updates not working for me and confirming that, yes, as best they could tell the updates should work on both the 21" and 27" iMacs. They downloaded info from my machine to forward on to engineering and we're scheduled to talk again on Wednesday to see what they've found out about this problem. I told them that there were others besides me experiencing this issue.

Any rhyme or reason we can figure out here? Anyone with a 27 incher that had either or both of today's updates work? I'm seeing posts where the updates worked on 21" machines, and failures on 27" machines.

UPDATE: looks like they've changed the download page here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1618
    to specify that the EFI update is for the 21.5" iMac only.

The WiFi update still says it is for all late 2012 Macs, but does not run on my 27"

18. macrumors regular

Not for 27" iMac

These updates are definitely not necessary for the 27" 2012 iMac. Neither can even be installed.

19. macrumors regular

CaptMike

Exactly.....hope that apple is holding on to all the orders to the resellers until things have been resolved.

Still waiting for the 21.5" fully loaded since Dec 15

20. macrumors newbie

My 27" is a week-old and I have shut off sleep mode as it has a problem waking and requires my password and all open programs are quit. I guess our up will follow...

21. macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

is it me or is apple screwing up a lot lately