Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SalsaShark

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2000
From the installer script, this only applies only to iMac Model ID "iMac12,1" which I think is the current 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011) ?

Apparently not. Mine didn't need an update. Maybe it's just for the low-end 6750M models?

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
2.8 GHz i7 iMac here, very stable on 10.6.7, not used for any critical tasks. Based on your experiences with 10.7, is it time to upgrade to Lion, or is it best to still wait for 10.7.2?

roboclint

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Since I've updated to Lion, mine freezes all the time, sometimes twice a day, and usually when it starts to load a Flash based web page. I can't do anything when it does this, I just have to power it off and power it back on.

These are the specs:

27-inch 2011 iMac
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I'm at work right now and can't check to see if the update is available (I really hope it is).

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
huh, 10.7.1 fixed this for me. it was playing video content, any video that locked it down hard. add the added new "feature" of restoring windows on restart and you can find yourself in some furious curse-laden rants.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Mine froze twice within the last two weeks/since upgrading to Lion. I think the freezing was due to 32-bit Adobe Flash running into a memory wall on a 64-bit machine and OS and caused the entire system to freeze/hang. Hopefully this addresses that issue along with the high temperatures the GPU is suffering under Lion.

Ptit

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
moon
2.8 GHz i7 iMac here, very stable on 10.6.7, not used for any critical tasks. Based on your experiences with 10.7, is it time to upgrade to Lion, or is it best to still wait for 10.7.2?

thats it!

Another friend's iMac i know of runs lion and froze a few times now that i think about it.

Invizzible

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2003
oh god i hear ya. i remember i bought the first aluminum imac 24" in august 2007, it had tiger back then. then leopard came out, and EVERY goddamn animation would just freeze the machine. mouse not moving, nothing. and by animation i mean anything, even minimizing or opening a stack folder in dock, or the dock magnifier. it had to be hard resetted. after 2 weeks they released the firmware update and it works well till this day (4 years).

I bought my 24" 2.8Ghz iMac new in Oct 2007, and it just started freezing up a few weeks ago. Does it frequently now, sometimes the freeze is accompanied by a very loud crackling sound. Hard reset is the only cure. Never did this before. Wish this new update were for Snow Leopard as well, since that's what I'm running.

jordwan

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
freezes

i have a mid 2011 27" imac, 2gb graphics card, i7, blah blah, anyways, it always freezes and i got an email from apple telling me my harddrive is faulty. nothing but problems so far on this machine...

jordwan

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Since I've updated to Lion, mine freezes all the time, sometimes twice a day, and usually when it starts to load a Flash based web page. I can't do anything when it does this, I just have to power it off and power it back on.

These are the specs:

27-inch 2011 iMac
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I'm at work right now and can't check to see if the update is available (I really hope it is).

Same machine, same problems.... does yours also have a faulty harddrive?

rjc101

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Apparently not. Mine didn't need an update. Maybe it's just for the low-end 6750M models?

The installer script checks for Mac ID "iMac12,1", Graphics Card ROM "113-C2950K-193" and an OS X version of 10.7 with a build of 11A511 so it reads as though it won't run on 10.7.1

Must be for one of them!

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
I hope this fixes my problem. My first generation aluminum iMac was freezing up like crazy after installing Lion. I finally shut down the Mac and put it in the closet and went back to using my PC.

tbealmear

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Morgantown, WV
Well, I have a first gen aluminum iMac WITH the freezing issue that everyone is talking about yet I don't seem to have access to this update... GRRRRR

Anybody know where I can get this update myself and install it?

-Edit, helps if I read some... found the link to download the update myself. Hopefully I wont have to screw with this anymore.

-Edit #2. Can't install it on my system. Apple. Fix this. Soon. I'm glad I only spent $30 on this POS.

roboclint

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Same machine, same problems.... does yours also have a faulty harddrive?
I took it in to have the hard drive replaced (it took them 5 days to get the new HD) and now I can hear the hard drive thinking all the time, the other one didn't do that. I also told them that I could see the screen flickering and (according to the receipt) they replaced the logic board, I have no idea if they actually did or not.

Aaaand my Lion time machine backup wouldn't recognize my password so I had to boot from the Snow Leopard disc that came with my machine to change the password. (I actually just reinstalled Snow Leopard at first).

It sounds like I've had a lot of trouble with it but really I love it.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Mine froze twice within the last two weeks/since upgrading to Lion. I think the freezing was due to 32-bit Adobe Flash running into a memory wall on a 64-bit machine and OS and caused the entire system to freeze/hang. Hopefully this addresses that issue along with the high temperatures the GPU is suffering under Lion.

Adobe has a beta flash player with 64bit support. Might be worth trying it.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
oh god i hear ya. i remember i bought the first aluminum imac 24" in august 2007, it had tiger back then. then leopard came out, and EVERY goddamn animation would just freeze the machine. mouse not moving, nothing. and by animation i mean anything, even minimizing or opening a stack folder in dock, or the dock magnifier. it had to be hard resetted. after 2 weeks they released the firmware update and it works well till this day (4 years).

Yeah, I actually had someone come out to my house and replace the board on my machine before they fixed it via update.

dopipod

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Yes, had a freezing issue today - a timely update if it fixes it
iMac 27" mid 2010

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.