Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Had this issue since day one on my mid-2011 Mac Mini. I have the newest version of the Airport Extreme as well.

I almost never drop a signal but it never automatically connects. I always have to click on the wifi signal and wait for it to find my network. Sometimes I have to turn on/off multiple times before it sees my wifi network. Very frustrating. If I log onto another user I have to do this as well.

I've done all the things recommended in this forum as well as a fresh Lion install but none of it works. No other devices have issues on this network.

also- this appears to be Broadcom for my wifi

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Nice. I didn't have a problem with it until just recently with the 10.7.3 update. It just wouldn't reconnect to my remembered network after a restart or waking up. I was beginning to think it was either my AirPort Extreme or the WiFi card in my iMac. Saw this, downloaded it and it's fixed! Woooo! :D

joolze

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Well, I'm obviously very special, as I never had the problem on my late 2010 iMac...

... until I performed this update to fix it :confused:

Now, for the past 2 mornings when it has automatically woken up at7am from it's little nap ... no wifi connection!

Anyone else very special, like me;)

MacMyDay

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Cambridge, England
This was without a doubt the most annoying bug I've had on a Mac in the 12 years I've had of using them. Upon updating to Lion I would have my iMac constantly just losing the Internet connection, yet the wifi staying, so you'd have to just keep turning the Airport on the iMac on and off again and hoping it'd reconnect. It would give no indication it wasn't able to get online anymore, and would just try and load and load pages. After getting really annoyed with this I purchased a new router, and this time what would happen is that just randomly it would disconnect from the router completely and then you couldn't connect again unless you manually set the IP. All of this time it worked perfectly on my iPad, iPhone, MacBook Airs (I've had 2 since, due to upgrading) and Mac Pro, so it was definitely not a router issue.

Still, since the patch it's not cut off once yet, so fingers crossed.

war midgets

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Count me in for being "FIXED". Ive been good to go on connection upon wakeup since the update.. so I think they nailed it :) Thank goodness.. If we were using Windows, they probably never would have come out with an update and would have required a patch or something from the hardware manufacturer that would never have worked.. At least Apple listens to its customers.. just wish it could have been sooner.

dgr401

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
The problem seems to be resolved on my 2010 iMac. :D Updated shortly after update was posted and have not had any wake issues since. Thank you.

dibbs98

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
As far as is known, the connectivity issue does not affect Broadcom wireless chips, rather only Atheros chips where the Atheros40 KEXT is used. (This KEXT was introduced by Apple to offer P2P (AirDrop) support to AR92xx and AR93xx cards that they use.)

For the connectivity issue that you are having, try clearing your known WiFi networks. Also ensure that the firmware on your router / access point is up-to-date and that you are getting good signal strength from it.

Other things to look at are:

What channel are you using? Are other routers / access points using the same channel? If so, change it.

Are you using WPA2 with CCMP (AES)? If not, can you switch to it? (Personal uses a PSK, Enterprise uses 802.1X)
thanks deleting it and re-setting it up seems to have fixed it!

IzzyJG99

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
thanks deleting it and re-setting it up seems to have fixed it!

That was a temp fix for me in the early days of Lion, but it's one that you can re-do a bazillion times without much effort. So if the Wi-Fi does stop working again just do it again and it'll fix it.

Strangely the only thing that did fix my Wi-Fi issues entirely was...buying a new Airport Express. I hesitate to think that had anything to do with it as after I bought the new AEX I said to myself "I'll download Lion" again and see and it just happened to be 10.7.3 I downloaded at the time. So who knows.

Also renewing your DHCP Lease seems to fix for a lot of people. I do that regularly just for the Hell of it.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Apple and WiFi....

...long history of strife! Remember that the iPad had tons of issues when it came out. Never wanted to reconnect to WiFi waking up - and it automatically disconnected when going to sleep. That was painful. You wanted to download a big app and it stopped after 5 min being inactive. iMac wasn't that bad though. Glad to see a fix there as well.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Anyone having problems after this update?

I updated via Software Update. installed fine. reboot.

Now i cannot use my wifi, it connects. but no data/interentz.

also, it restarted itself after dropping down a gray gradient screen over my desktop, like a mac BSOD. never done this.

i am connected via my iphone tether right now. works fine.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
I'm so disappointed in Apple at this point. Our old iMac with SL works perfect.

The 2011 i5 with Lion just drops connections all the time and have applied this update, tried everything I can find on the Internet, and even spent about 4 - 6 hours with Apple elevated level support to resolve this. Yes, I have deleted the wifi connections multiple times.

Frustrating that our shiny new toy only works with a ugly network cable strung along the floor.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Well, this would be useful if I hadn't long since given up on wireless with the iMac and hooked up an ethernet cable.

Same here. Tried everything possible but gave up... spent time and money running ethernet in a fully wireless house. Let's see if this sticks...

----------

Anyone having problems after this update?

I updated via Software Update. installed fine. reboot.

Now i cannot use my wifi, it connects. but no data/interentz.

also, it restarted itself after dropping down a gray gradient screen over my desktop, like a mac BSOD. never done this.

i am connected via my iphone tether right now. works fine.

Did you also D/L the EFI Firmware update? That would account for the gray screen. Now I'm scared to update!

----------

This was without a doubt the most annoying bug I've had on a Mac in the 12 years I've had of using them.
Amen to that.

CoreForce

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Zurich, Switzerland
I'm so disappointed in Apple at this point. Our old iMac with SL works perfect.

The 2011 i5 with Lion just drops connections all the time and have applied this update, tried everything I can find on the Internet, and even spent about 4 - 6 hours with Apple elevated level support to resolve this. Yes, I have deleted the wifi connections multiple times.

Same here too with an iMac Core 2 Duo 27".
Problems started exactly after upgrading to Lion.
Upgrading Router firmware did slightly change the problems but not resolve it.

Worked quite some time with Apple support on it but they are not willing to accept this as a OS problem.
Though the issue persists with:
- very different WLAN routers in operation, one of them being an iPhone in tethering mode.
- a Mac Mini in the same network still on X.7.x runs perfectly fine at the same time where the iMac Lion has problems to connect

Very frustrated here in both Apple network competency and Apple support.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Not just iMac!

Tsk Apple, it's LION that is the problem, our Core2Duo Macbook was rock solid under Snow Leopard, flakey as hell on Lion. Not just the wake from sleep disconnection, but all kinds of general "you are not connected, server timed out" issues that happen randomly.

Fix for everyone please!

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
Same here. Tried everything possible but gave up... spent time and money running ethernet in a fully wireless house. Let's see if this sticks...

----------

Did you also D/L the EFI Firmware update? That would account for the gray screen. Now I'm scared to update!

----------

Amen to that.

the wifi part has fixed itself. but i still get gray screens. yes i d'led the EFI FW

and the wifi connecting once woken up from sleep STILL doesnt work.

ChoPraTs

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Madrid, Spain
This update doesn't fix the problem for my iMac. I've problems with Wifi since I updated to Lion, before it was working fine on Snow Leopard.

I have a MacBook Pro with the same version of Lion installed, and no problems with the same router or Wifi signal. The problem is only prensent on my iMac.

ggaryc

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
No Help

The intermittent drops, hangups and glacial wifi issues continue for me even with the "fix." My Airport Ext. is 10' from my IMac. I've changed channels, emptied caches etc for over a year. The situation worsened when I went to 10.7 and as best I can tell have deteriorated further with the fix. Now I have to re-arrange all the flippin' furniture in my house so I can hardwire my IMac to get work done. Meanwhile, my IPad (which I have to use to write this) and my Iphone operate flawlessly with the wifi network. I've always suspected a hardware flaw but Apple support insists the issue is interference or a software glitch.

Mac-Mac-McAfee

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
No good

Didn't work for me either. Gets progressivly worse everyday. Don't get much for 2000 dollars anymore, huh Apple? SMH :confused:

igazza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
earth
worked for a few days but my mid 2011 iMac keeps dropping wifi, all other devices work fine. using airport extreme. all software up to date.

:mad:

Fuzzy.Dunlop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The aluminum May 2009 MacBook has this problem too. It is annoying.

Yep and still does, somedays its like being on 56k

bobbba

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
"This update resolves an issue that may cause an iMac to not automatically connect to a known Wi-Fi network after waking from sleep."

Read the article text, if you've got this issue this is relevant to you.

If you've got slow wifi, wifi that drops out while the Mac is awake, grey screens or no Internet once connected I don't see why this update or this topic applies to you, it's most likely a different unrelated problem(hardware probably in most cases imop).

Personally I have been using the frustrating "disable Bluetooth" fix on my MBA and that's worked fine. I've now had chance to try the 10.7.4 beta and it seems like it might be finally fixed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.