Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I wonder if it will fix the bug that makes iTunes ask me to register my 3GS every time.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
A bunch of old pictures I took a while back were strangely deleted when I restarted my iPhone awhile back....this updates seems to have brought them back! :) :apple:

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I am hoping the toggle for turning off 3G is available on the 4S for AT&T. Still don't know why its not.

YOu can turn off cellular data in the network settings, but do you mean a separate switch for 3G?
I was wondering myself what happened to that!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm waiting for the fix for "iTunes Match on the iPhone completely sucks."

I gave up on iTunes Match. I was beta testing it and then bought it, thought it was gonna improve. Ha! Songs skip, don't play, have been wrongly tagged (needed to use SongSergeant to fix my tracks), and my smart playlists are all FUBAR'ed. The only good it served was upgrading lower than 256kbps tracks. On my 4, 4S and iPad it never worked. Even turned it off of all my devices/Mac's, deleted the tracks manually from my devices, turned in on again and still a hot mess. Shame.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Then no future update will. I wonder if its now gone for 3GS & 4 users. Don't get why we 4S users can't have it but they can???

Maybe it's because the iPhone 4S has Siri, and Siri would work like crap over anything less than 3G, thus ruining the seamless user experience Apple is going for.

Just my hypothesis. :)

joefresh

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
5.1.1 still doesn't fix the podcast issue

The bug fixes are great, but how did Apple not fix the podcast issue?

Chapter titles still don't come up, it just says Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. And there are still the audible stutters/momentary silence when locking/unlocking the phone, or when opening the Music app.

As someone that publishes podcasts on a regular basis, I'm really disappointed that this didn't get fixed. My request on Apple's site seems to have gone unnoticed. Hopefully it will be addressed in the next update.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
This is good and all but never understood the purpose of a dl only option?
Perhaps you are waiting for an important call or text message.

Ideally when you install one of these iOS updates from your computer, you should put the device into Airplane Mode so calls and messages won't interrupt the update process (which might take a while on older, slower devices).

Some cautious people may want to do a full local backup before the upgrade.

The actual update should happen at the user's convenience.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Maybe it's because the iPhone 4S has Siri, and Siri would work like crap over anything less than 3G, thus ruining the seamless user experience Apple is going for.

No, it works on other networks. For me, in the UK, it came back with the 5.1 update.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
will this fix "airplay stops working when iphone sleeps"

That's what I really want.

I've also had problems with rentals expiring or things "not downloading" from iTunes and getting messages long after it happened, hopefully that's gone.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Something to try (although I hope 5.1.1 fixes this):

* If your device is connected to your computer, make sure iTunes is closed.
* Close the App Store on your device (open task switcher, tap & hold icon, hit close).
* Go to /var/mobile/Media/Downloads/ (use iFile, SSH, or SFTP if jailbroken, or use iExplorer if not jailbroken).
* Delete the downloads.28.sqlitedb file. Done!

Thanks! Worked :)

Now, any way to fix iTunes on OS X from doing the same? :)

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Seems to have fixed my 3rd gen iPads inability to use 3G over edge here in Ireland. Even though apple tech support said they'd never heard of the issue. Low and behold its listed in the bug fixes list! I knew I wasn't hallucinating.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010

Probably not since everyone else except for AT&T has it. AT&T just discovered a new way to suck and had to do it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Seems to have fixed my 3rd gen iPads inability to use 3G over edge here in Ireland. Even though apple tech support said they'd never heard of the issue. Low and behold its listed in the bug fixes list! I knew I wasn't hallucinating.

EDGE is 2.5G

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
This is good and all but never understood the purpose of a dl only option?

I have a 50mb line at work so it's best for me to download it there. Updating the phone to the newest update can take a while. I'm without my phone during the update so I'll do the download only option and when I get home I apply the update when it doesn't matter if I'm without my phone for an hour or more.

I also need to remove gaming account authenticators from the phone when I update but first I have to log onto those gaming sites and remove them from my account. I'd rather not do that at work.

gabibbo69

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Italian Siri on the update

Anybody know when the rest of the common laguages will be available for Siri? Like Italian?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.