Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
The update isn't available OTA for me (WiFi) on my Verizon iPad 3 or my iPhone 4S on AT&T.

Has Apple pulled it, or are they just mad at me?

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Facebook connection errors

Anyone else notice the Facebook app no longer works...just says after a while Connection Error. This is on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. I deleted and reinstalled the app on the iPad but it made no difference.

I would say it's a recent server issue, in the last few weeks, on 3G mind you.
Most people are unaware of bad software design (of websites or apps), requiring faster threshold speeds, which need to be sustained to parse the data.

3G data comes in bursts with latency depending on your location, so really it's a crapshoot save for WiFi which hopefully isn't being fed off a 3G network.

Previously Facebook wouldn't refresh if your memory ran out, so only solution was to close other apps.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I would update, make sure you load the latest baseband as well. It should fix most of your problems...

I may have to, some reason "General" in my settings crashes. Tried resets, etc. It's also impacting my Visual Voicemail. Would have to lose the JB but if it's effecting normal usage I can live without it for a while.

Now, main question, iTunes is only listing 5.1 as an available update. Checked my ADC accounts and no mention of 5.1.1. Odd.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone else notice the Facebook app no longer works...just says after a while Connection Error. This is on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. I deleted and reinstalled the app on the iPad but it made no difference.

Yeah, I noticed this! :( bloody hell

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Downloading now. Not hopeful that they fixed the iOS smart playlist bug.

Update: Hah, did they heck as fix it. Anyone know of an MP3 player brand that plays music in the order you want it to?

Last edited:

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Unfortunately, we have no idea "why". It was not in 5.0, but then it was back in the 5.1 betas, but then disappeared again in 5.1 final. We know they "can" do it because it worked fine in those betas. And most if not all of the international carriers support it. I started a thread some time back trying to figure it out and we discovered it was basically just the 4S on AT&T that lacked it. Very very strange, and horrible for me personally. :(

Same problem here UK 3 network, it is very annoying

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012

3 primarily run a 3G network. Their 2G access is leased from Orange (or at least it was) and they started switching 2G off completely in the areas where 3G cover is adequate.

http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/three-begins-2g-coverage-switch-off-have-you-been-affected-your-rights

Doesn't really make sense for them to have an option to switch off 3G.

On topic though, just installed on my 4.

Might be a placebo but everything seems so much faster for me...maybe it just needed a reboot haha. But still, just feels really optimised.

Anyone else noticing a speed improvement?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY

Thats because 3 UK doesnt have an EDGE network they use oranges 2G network and they dont want you constantly roaming on it

Edit:I see someone beat me to it already

dga223

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Anyone notice any change in the battery indicator? My iPad was at 88% but after doing this update, it now reads at 99%? Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
. well if you were tethered you did a partial charge!

----------

My iTunes just downloaded 800mb for this update. Why anyone would want to do that to their data plan I'm not quite sure.

If it was < 100mb then it would make sense.
apple software is bloated. that's why the iOS are so slow with anything higher than 4.xxx. the iPods just don't have the ram to handle the bloated software. the updates should have never been released for the iPod. it's ok for the iPhone as it has double the ram, but with every new update it gets more bloated, so unless there's a extremely important software update that address this issue, I never update. I don't want to ultimately have a brick

dsdevries

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
I really hope reading list is fixed. Many times i had to delete an entry just to get it to sync.

Btw: I LOVE reading list and use it a lot!

Just wait until you see the open tab sharing feature in mountain lion. It's reading list without having to manually add the sites to a list!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My iTunes just downloaded 800mb for this update. Why anyone would want to do that to their data plan I'm not quite sure.

If it was < 100mb then it would make sense.

When you do the update from iTunes, the download is the whole OS. Wifi update from the iDevice is just a delta update, that is why it is smaller in size. What was reported when you selected General -> Software Update from your iDevice? A Wifi update does not require a connection to iTunes.

EDIT: I just tried and when I hook a iPhone 4 to iTunes it will download a 793.1MB update vs. when I do the update from the iPhone over WiFi the update is only ~47MB.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.