Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordo5150

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
people installing without reading the release notes... Scary.

What are the release notes going to say to stop anyone from installing?

*In this version nothing works. We have fixed no bugs since the last version, and in fact have made the battery life worse.

If you have Beta 2 it's a no brainer to upgrade regardless of what the release notes say.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Incorrect - For a beta version to work it must be installed on a device which is tied to at least 1 valid developer account.

Do not try to install the beta version if your device is not a registered developer device - you could brick your device.

Incorrect. It's been possible to active iOS 6 betas without UDID registration. Restore to 5.1.1, set up as new device. Option key (Shift on Windows) + Click on "Check for Upgrade" and point the upgrader to an iOS6 beta IPSW and voila, iOS 6 beta installed.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
At work and expecting an important phone call, so can't update yet.

Are there any Canadians who can check to see if they've fixed turn-by-turn directions yet? Beta 2 had the new style, but they didn't live update and Siri didn't read instructions.

Is turn-by-turn supposed to be available in Canada? If so I can check for you once the update finishes.

eaglesfanone

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
finally popped up for me reading beta 3 (rhyme time!)

....now why i was so excited for a new beta release is beyond me :)

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I've seen plenty that do and then they complain when all the features don't work as advertised. People need to understand what a pre-release is. Beta versions will have bugs and other issues. You will have incompatibilities and other problems.

I had an account until recently, mostly because I naively thought I'd have time to develop one myself. Fortunately, I'm on an iOS project at work now, so no need to keep my own unused account.

That said, I never complained if something didn't work, as this was a beta. I also made the effort to report a few bugs when I noticed them. Every time, it was already reported, but I did do my part.

Now with Beta 3, it's getting close to test on simulator only onto a real device and I might use my own iPad 3 for that. :D

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
What are the release notes going to say to stop anyone from installing?

*In this version nothing works. We have fixed no bugs since the last version, and in fact have made the battery life worse.

If you have Beta 2 it's a no brainer to upgrade regardless of what the release notes say.

But hyperbole is just so much fun! :rolleyes:

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Is turn-by-turn supposed to be available in Canada? If so I can check for you once the update finishes.

The iOS 6 Maps entry page on apple.ca explicitly refers to Siri, 3D views, and live updating. The screenshots also show what Maps do in the US, but the functions didn't work in Canada.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Is there any chance your UDID is still in your developer account somewhere? Seems unlikely that Apple would allow this..

nope ...

"Though we certainly wouldn’t recommend this, it turns out you can install iOS 6 beta onto an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, without using a developer account and without having to deal with UDID activation. It’s actually a lot easier to do than you’d think, and as long as the iOS device meets the compatibility requirements and you don’t mind the potentially iffy nature of the process, CultOfMac says you’re good to go."

source osxdaily

OverByThere

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Rugby, UK
nope ...

"Though we certainly wouldn’t recommend this, it turns out you can install iOS 6 beta onto an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, without using a developer account and without having to deal with UDID activation. It’s actually a lot easier to do than you’d think, and as long as the iOS device meets the compatibility requirements and you don’t mind the potentially iffy nature of the process, CultOfMac says you’re good to go."

source osxdaily

I stand corrected, nice find though! :)

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Woo woo! 3D maps work in Downtown Memphis!

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    567.8 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

epmatsw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Man, it's been preparing this update for a while on my phone...starting to get worried...

Edit: Never mind, it finally finished after about 20 minutes of spinning.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.