Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
It's an iPod touch, more accurately, with 3G capability. Lacking a camera, lacking a decent screen - sorry Apple, but in today's HD world, anything less than a 10.1" 1280x720 screen on such a device is basically unacceptable, really. No mic either, so much for Skype or VoIP usage - of course the headphone jack might support that but, it doesn't say anything in the specs.

1024x768... good lord. And here I am dictating this reply on my 7 year old Toshiba M205 Tablet PC - yes, dictating it with the built in field array microphones with a 1400x1050 LCD.

And sticking it to buyers again with no expansion or an SD card slot which pretty much every other damned device in the same concept/class has had for years. Want more space? PAY US FOR IT. Pretty lame, Apple.

Oh well, we can already start expecting stuff in iPad 2.0 I suppose.

Lackluster at best, for me. Been using tablets for well over a decade and I had higher hopes for this... I'll chalk it up to being a 1.0 version and see what transpires.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Woulda liked to have some support for Flash.

How about mobile i5s replacing the Core 2s across the lineup, too?

I have an iPhone already, there is no reason I would buy an iPad in addition to that. Is this aimed at iPhone holdouts, perhaps?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Well, I'm disappointed. Was really hoping Apple would break the AT&T grip and move on to other carriers.

They did. It's unlocked so you can use it with any carrier. I don't get all the whining about ATT, didn't people even read the info?

$30 a month for 3g? no thanks, o2 can do unlimited data in the UK for £7.50. I've got my own wifi at home.

So don't get the 3G option, or get it and use it with ANY CARRIER since it's UNLOCKED.

Seriously, is it so hard to read?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Netbook killer?

Absolutely.

Macbook killer?

Not quite. Nor is it meant to be, at this time. I was hoping for one, but really, I don't think shoving a Core 2 Duo and a 256mb videocard in there was realistic.

Multitasking? I would have liked to see it.

I'll be getting one. This device is just too cool and interesting to pass up. And the iWork implementation + keyboard dock seals the deal. The HD connectivity is nice as well.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
While I would have liked built in GPS & both forward & back cameras, this seems like a pretty solid device. I don't have much need for one right now, but I could see something like this catching on.

The 3g models have GPS....per the Apple Tech Specs page

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
I will have to wait and make sure that we can jailbreak this, so I can customize, run apps in the background, and somehow tether my iphone 3G data service to the iPad.

Then it will be worth it.

GelatinousCube

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Think about it differently?

I think maybe as a more tech savvy person it's easy to forget how cool and easy this is to use for someone who isn't. Just because we have all this technology around us most people only want to go skin deep. They have no use for Disk Utility or Multi-tasking.

For example, my grandmother who is intimidated by a computer would probably sit on her couch and use this for hours to play Scrabble.

To little children, and grade schoolers who can't type a multi-touch interface is very intuitive because it is more of an analog to every day life.

Plus, you can't underestimate the tweens and teens who will be begging their parents for one of these INSTEAD of an iPod touch or Nintendo DS or PSP. The parents will reason that they can use it too, the kid can use it, the kid can play games, and if you attach a keyboard they have a little computer for schoolwork.

Children don't need windows 7, Ubuntu, or OS X on their computers and neither do the majority of adults who use the computer for light duty tasks.

Even many college students would be fine with this over a laptop. You can't underestimate the number of people who use the computer JUST for Facebook and light web browsing.

I have so many relatives who have dedicated computer rooms and giant monitors with over powered machines attached just so they can log on for 10 minutes in the evening to forward a chain letter with adorable cat photos. . The only thing missing is a camera so those same entry level users can post things to eBay or class project.

For a business person or someone in one on one sales they can share brochures or product info in full glory something that can't be done on the iPhone or Touch and impress the clients.

Let's not forget teachers, lecturers, medical professionals and many other applications where a small phone isn't large enough but carrying a laptop around like a platter isn't appealing either.

I think we need to wait and see on this. Its a good price for education and organizations with the option of all the time connectivity. I think the important thing to remember is the value of this to people who aren't like the users at macrumors.com (i.e. tech savvy).

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
No camera = iCrap

I usually do ichat in the evenings with friends/family across the country. This would have been perfect....

InTheUnion

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
From the Apple website

"Some features and applications are not available in all areas. Application availability and pricing are subject to change.
This device has not yet been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained"

Somehow I'm still hoping for more...

Edit: "iBooks available in the U.S. only." :(

Mr Gadget

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Just an oversized Ipod Touch. This will not sell well no need for this device.
Will not be good for reading books neither not using the ink technology.

IzzyReal

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
One Question... Printing?

I think the iPad is a fabulous product and I will almost certainly buy one (It can do EVERYTHING that I need for college!!!!). However, the one thing that was not mentioned was how we are going to print all the lovely documents that we will create on our iPads. I do not want to have to transfer the document to a computer before I can print it. No printing... no iPad for me.
And I don't want a crummy third part App for this function. I want to be able to connect my printer cable to my iPad and hit "Print."

I cannot wait to buy an Ipad!!! (Sorry macbook, but you will be staying on my desk from now on!) :)

neverbuyapc

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
California
Nice but....

Nice but where the heck is this meant to fit in the market? It is too big and expensive to replace a phone (not to mention the fact that it doesn't have calling) but it definitely can't replace a computer at only 64gb and not running most mac apps. So where does this come in? The netbook market. Rich dudes who can afford an iPhone several macs and this. I'm sorry but its a sweet product with no market. Not great for business, developers, or games because touch screen keyboards just don't cut it. I don't think movie producing, digital art, or music will be very succesfull on the device because it's hardware can't handle much. But you gotta hand it to them. The web browsing looks sweet and very Mac OSexy :rolleyes:! Yeah, I just said that.

Also I really wanted iPhone OS 4.0 but I guess I knew that wassn't going to happen anyway. I very excited to test in in march though.:D

So overall, great idea :apple:, but Steve I don't think this is "The most important thing I've ever done." There is simply no market for it, but I can definetly see loads of awesome fun apps and it will be fun to play around with, but I'm not sure where this thing is going.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
To everyone interested in GPS: The 3G models _will_ have GPS (as shown on the tech specs site http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ ).

Also on that page... 30pin adaptors for USB and SD Cards!!! This is a godsend for a photographer like me! Huge screen for reviewing photos in the field... brilliant!

I'll be buying one.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
2 Things:

1. No chance of running OS X software, and to get 3G and Wifi I need to pay AT&T MORE money?

2. If it's so awesome to type on the screen, why have an "optional" keyboard dock?

Biggest disappointment if you ask me and worthless for someone who owns an iPhone already.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I myself like the device and will be getting the 16GB + 3G model more than likely. Having the option for Internet on the device would be great and I love the prepaid option for the data.

Until Apps are written specifically for the iPad we won't see the actual power it is capable of. It is more or less a big iPod Touch to be more specific. But that is awesome too.

johnboi1978

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
While I would have liked built in GPS & both forward & back cameras, this seems like a pretty solid device. I don't have much need for one right now, but I could see something like this catching on.

Check out the specs on apples site.... GPS is on the 3G model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.