Apple releases iPod Software Update

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 19, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

Dang. Thought I might get some new features, but my 3G v2.2 iPod is reportedly already up-to-date.

3. macrumors regular

xtbfx

Let the "Apple won't update my current iPod to have all the new software that the 4th gen iPods have" pity party begin.

4. macrumors regular

xtbfx

And my comment wasn't directed at you (posted at the same time).

Anyway, I thought the same as you until I saw their webpage, but oh well.

5. macrumors 6502a

macridah

The software you download has iPod software updates for all the iPods (27MB), but the updater will know what kind of iPod you have and install the appropriate software. iPod 3.0 is only for the 4G iPods.

I wa PO too. I could live with it.

6. macrumors newbie

Way to go Apple, again! I keep buying Apple products a few months before the next version comes out (eMac, 3G iPod...). Oh well. And hey, why can't us 3G'ers get some of the updates like deleting songs from an OTG playlist???

7. macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I never believed we were going to see any of the new features in an update for 3Gs although I am sure they are all possible. I wonder if there is anything to update in 3Gs at the moment as I'm sure the last updater did all the things listed :confused:

8. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I am only hoping for a better way to scroll through my 1000 artists. It's becoming a pain, as I always accelerate past the artist I'm after. I wrote a choose-by-letter thing a while back and stored it in the Notes folder. Worked well. You chose "L", and some more letters showed up, plus a list of all "L" artists. Then you chose "e" and some more letters and all "Le" artists showed up. Then, "d", and you got Led Zeppelin. well, that was a bad explanation.

9. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

mainstreetmark: Mind sharing your script with us? Sounds like a good idea...

irmongoose

10. macrumors 65816

Oh well. I was hoping Apple would offer horizontal scroll when reading the albums in the iPod. I've had to make truncated names for all my albums so I'd know what is on them. Anybody know if the new iPods have this feature?

11. macrumors member

No real update for my mini!!! That sucks. I was totally looking forward to playing with some new features on it.

12. Guest

iGary

The last update nearly destroyed my iPod, and this one has very few desirable features for me.

How about an accurate battery meter?

My two cents!

13. macrumors member

If you have a 3G or older iPod this doesn't do any update. The new features are only for the click wheel new ones.

14. macrumors member

the iPod battery acts like a laptop battery. Where even if it's fully charged, when you first turn it on and start playing a song it might show a half charge and then go up to full charge. Laptop's can do that when you first boot up also. They try to show the amount of charge you have based on you continuously doing what you're currently doing.

So sometimes it's confusing to see a low charge and then a full charge when you never charged it but that's how it's meant to be.

15. macrumors regular

Very solid update. It's too bad the 3Gs can't get some new features, but that's life. I'll deal.

16. macrumors G3

puckhead193

Yea! mine goes from nuthing to fully charge to half to a 1/4...crazy.....
    I would like to delete on the go play list songs..... the main update though is the battery life and click wheel, any one like the new wheel? I don't

17. macrumors 65816

narco

Wow! Hearing the clicker through the headphones? Nice!
    Already ordered my 40gig -- 1-2 days shipping with overnight FedEX, can't wait!

.narco

18. macrumors regular

snahabed

The title of this article is very misleading.

The iPod Updater merely updates any iPod to the latest version of the software available for THAT particular model. The ONLY "new" software, therefore, is that for the 4G iPods.. and no one even has those yet.

I feel like people are going to read this and head off to the Apple site, feverishly download the updater, thinking "YAY, FINALLY, BETTER BATTERY MANAGEMENT" and then get awfully cross when the realize the truth.

19. macrumors 6502

Man, all I want is the "Shuffle Songs" option on the top of the menu. That's the only thing I usually go hunting for in the settings.

I guess I'll have to wait a very long time, because I don't plan on upgrading my 3G 30 GB until it is no longer functional.

20. macrumors 6502a

croooow

Does the 4th Generation need an update so quickly? (No one in the general public even has one in their possesion until tomorrow afternoon)

21. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Sure, it's already public.

http://www.itunesregistry.com

Make an account, upload your XML, click on Artist Browser, then save it to the iPod's Notes.

As users of that site know, I have a hard time supporting it with all the other stuff that has shown up in my life since I started that site, so it may or may not still work.

The idea is a good one, and it works well. It'd just benefit from native support, since the Notes folder is slow. A "View by hierarchy/View by list" option would be a welcome addition to iPod.

22. macrumors regular

zoozx

Appe need to include the dock with both ipods, that is just lame!

23. macrumors regular

I think thhat that is not a update to the 4g but the software instead i.e that is the software that will ship they are just releasing it on the web for soome weird reason :confused:

24. macrumors regular

Shuffle on 3G iPods through SmartList

I've already got Shuffle working on my 3G iPod. I just create an additional SmartList, point it to my "original" Smartlist and configure it for Random. (My original SmartLists are "everything with three stars or higher" and "least played favorites" along with Smartlists for all the different Artists I've got on my iPod.)

FIRST of all. I don't want Shuffle on all of my playlists. I want to be able to play the lists either way. This is much faster and less confusing than the All shuffle or no shuffle.

I'm buying a 4G iPod soon but only because of the new wheel. I'll finally be able to tell what I'm doing without looking down at my iPod. Note that my wife is getting my old iPod. So don't start begging for it.

25. macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm or comment on this?

As far as I know all the new futures are totaly compatibile with the 3G.

- Shuffle songs with one click
    - Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
    - Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
    - Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
    - Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones
    - Enjoy improved playback performance

All the above are from software and I belive that they require no diferent hardware the the 3G.

- Charge via USB 2.0 connection

This might require a 4G hardware, even tough it might be posible to use in curent models. Actualy there is a big chance that this might be posible on curent models (3G).

What I feel is that except the new look and butons there is no change from 3G to 4G. Even the batery: Steve said that they got better batery life by "better power management" not by a thicker batery. Better power management is a software impovement. So the whole new iPod (4G) might be a big "lie" (except the new look).

Please comment on this; it's only a opinion. But if it is true it might mean that soon, after the iPod 4G loses it's interest, we, 3G users might get all that 4G got: including the 50% batery boost and USB charging.

Can anyone confirm or comment on this?

rX