Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases iSync 1.4

Apple posted iSync 1.4 to your Software Update:

iSync 1.4 includes support for more Symbian OS smart phones and the iPod mini, as well as stability improvements.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit www.apple.com/ical.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
From Software Update:

iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device, you need to install the iSync Palm Conduit version 1.2 or later.

iSync 1.4 includes support for more Symbian OS smart phones and the iPod mini, as well as stability improvements.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit http://www.apple.com/ical.

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.3 and plan to synchronize a Bluetooth mobile phone, you need to have Bluetooth version 1.5 or later installed. To download it, use Software Update (in System Preferences). If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, visit http://www.apple.com/isync to download the appropriate Bluetooth version.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: From Software Update:

Originally posted by Mudbug
iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device, you need to install the iSync Palm Conduit version 1.2 or later.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit http://www.apple.com/ical.

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.3 and plan to synchronize a Bluetooth mobile phone, you need to have Bluetooth version 1.5 or later installed. To download it, use Software Update (in System Preferences). If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, visit http://www.apple.com/isync to download the appropriate Bluetooth version.

In other words, stay up to date!

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Why would you post that??? Precious web space taken.... :eek:
Why would you post that? Why does anyone post anything. thats why this board exists. to post your comments

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
another feature that wasn't mentioned:
Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
I am not positive about this but haven't .mac members been able to do that for some time now. I have been using a windows machine to browse my bookmarks for months. Not sure about editing them though

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Why would you post that??? Precious web space taken.... :eek:
Well the update may cause his mac to explode and kill him and by posting that we know the last thing he did before he died so we don't make the same mistake.

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Feature I'd like to see....

For those of us that will use this update to sync information between two computers (like my desktop at home and my laptop) I'd love to see the ability to sync my mail directory, so that I don't have to download two copies of all my mail (one to each machine). granted, I could just drag and copy my Mail folder from the library, but to include it in the process would be great. Anyone have any insight as to why this hasn't been looked at? Harder than I am assuming?

bennyek

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2002
The O.C.
Originally posted by Skiniftz
Well the update may cause his mac to explode and kill him and by posting that we know the last thing he did before he died so we don't make the same mistake.
......Bomb explodes killing me but thankfully sparing my mac.:p

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by sickracer2015
Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

Wow! well integrated. Until I found out that I could "show address bar" I tought it was a full fledged safari plug-in. It really looks like a bookmark remote/editor. Try it if you have'nt already (The previous link did not work for me but I found it on http://www.mac.com) It's of limited use, unless you're accessing your bookmarks from a PC, but nice nonetheless. Never noticed that link on dotmac.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Re: Feature I'd like to see....

Originally posted by Armsreach
For those of us that will use this update to sync information between two computers (like my desktop at home and my laptop) I'd love to see the ability to sync my mail directory, so that I don't have to download two copies of all my mail (one to each machine). granted, I could just drag and copy my Mail folder from the library, but to include it in the process would be great. Anyone have any insight as to why this hasn't been looked at? Harder than I am assuming?
...but your mail is already in sync. Using iSync with mobiles for example causes multiple copies to be kept - it's the whole point.

If you only want one mail file (thus increasing the risk of data loss) then you should be able to get the desktop to use the mail folder on your laptop for mail storage if you share it on your laptop then set the desktop to use it under account preferences.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
You've been able to do this for months and months, at least since July of last year.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
so is this update for ALL OS X users? Or are those of us using the antiquated 10.2.8 out of luck just like the new Safari?

/end sarcasm

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
...and if you don't have .Mac, you can use my free service at http://www.mywebsitelinks.com which if I didn't know better would suspect is where they got the idea. (Tracking links for free since June 2001)

Armsreach

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Re: Re: Feature I'd like to see....

Originally posted by Skiniftz
...but your mail is already in sync. Using iSync with mobiles for example causes multiple copies to be kept - it's the whole point.

If you only want one mail file (thus increasing the risk of data loss) then you should be able to get the desktop to use the mail folder on your laptop for mail storage if you share it on your laptop then set the desktop to use it under account preferences.

No, what I mean, is that I have a home computer. It's my main use computer. However, I take my laptop with me to school and out with me. I use a pop account run off my webserver, and if I'm at school and grab my mail, then I have the choice of deleting it from my server when it downloads, or leaving it there, and when I get home downloading the message again. Repeat for each account. Now, I could copy my mail folder over by hand, but I can do the same thing with my calendars and contact info, so I don't see that it would be that hard for them to just add that into isync. Syncronize junk mail filters, certain accounts only, etc. etc. In a multi computer household or network I could see that being at least somewhat helpful. instead of doing it by hand. Haven't downloaded the update yet (at school) so I haven't seen the functionality of syncing calendars and contacts from one computer to the other, so maybe I misunderstanding that part of this update. Ah well.

So, when are them G5 powerbooks coming out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.