Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
unfortunately the playlist folders don't show up that way on the ipod like i was hoping.

maybe there will be an ipod update soon

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Some_Big_Spoon said:
They gave up caring about that a loooong time ago.

Apple always seems to get to the point after a little while that they have to change the look and feel of their products, for little other reason than to change. You can either love it or hate it. I predict that we'll see the disappearance of the multicolored (close, minimize, etc.) buttons soon, possibly along with the aqua scroll and progress bars and move more towards a graphite-ish scheme.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
johnnyjibbs said:
Has anyone noticed that the iPod mini seems to have disappeared?

Yes -- it was part of SJ's presentation. The Nano replaces the Mini. I actually like the fact that we've got a new name. The Mac Mini and the iPod Mini were awfully confusing.

luminol

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2005
wordmunger said:
Yes -- it was part of SJ's presentation. The Nano replaces the Mini. I actually like the fact that we've got a new name. The Mac Mini and the iPod Mini were awfully confusing.

in what way was that at all confusing?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
bankshot said:
I've said this many times before, but it always bears repeating...

This is really starting tp p*** me off. I browsed the new iTunes pages at apple.com and still found no mention of gapless playback. Apple doesn't freaking care. It's pathetic. This is a feature that should have been in iTunes 2 at the latest so that those of us who really care about our music can enjoy albums without jarring gaps of silence between tracks. Now we have iTunes 5, and presumably it still isn't there.

What about when you said the Apple employees working on iTunes/iPod were all music lovers, Steve? Sounds like a lie to me. Nothing but empty hype. People who really care about music would not stand for such shoddy playback.

We all love to trumpet the fact that Apple is the company that pays attention to detail. I call BS in this case. This is one detail that's been glaringly neglected time and time again. Surely one Apple engineer realizes this is a problem and would like to fix it? It's not that difficult - numerous solutions exist. If Winamp can do it, why not iTunes? And don't get me started on iPod...

I'll go ahead and give it a try (nothing keeping me on 4.9), but I have zero hope that it was added and simply not mentioned. Apple does not always pay attention to detail - in the case of their music products they seem to only pay attention to what's hip or cool. I'm getting sick of it. :mad:

If any competitor's product even approached the ease of use and integration between iTunes and iPod, I'd jump ship in a second and replace my stolen iPod with something else. As it is, I keep waiting for the new generation of iPod that won't mangle my favorite albums. Seems it won't happen any time soon.

And before anyone replies, the following are not acceptable solutions:
  • Cross-fading
  • Ripping a whole CD as one big track

If a 20-year-old CD player can play without gaps and skip tracks, I want my state of the art jukebox software and device to do it too. Is that really too much to ask?

Unfortunately the masses don't care (they just want to shuffle), so Apple's ears are (tone) deaf to this request. What about the details, Apple?

</rant>

There, that felt good. :D

amen brother! I'm with you - I listen to a lot of live music and it bugs the heck out of me...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
johnnyjibbs said:
EDIT: Ok, after reading Diatribe's comparison above, I do agree that it's rather inconsistent. And it looks like WINDOWS!

I like Metal but with the new styles I am all for just dropping it. It doesn't fit anymore. Just leave the light and the dark plastic and that's it.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
shambolic said:
I'm leaning towards "bug" on this one...

Since upgrading, all my podcasts are now showing up in my smart playlists, whereas they previously used to be confined to their own little corner of iTunes where they (IMHO) belong.

So now it's time to start adding a "Genre is not Podcast" exception to all my smart playlists... grrr....
gorkonapple said:
This is SOMETHING I have been WANTING. I want to build a smart playlist that includes my podcasts. Put them at the front. This will help me load podcasts on my shuffle MUCH easier.
Agreed gorkonapple, I've been wanting this as well. I think it was a bug in 4.9 that got fixed in 5.0, not the other way around.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's going to take another 52 minutes to download. Does undo work properly now?

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
m-dogg said:
amen brother! I'm with you - I listen to a lot of live music and it bugs the heck out of me...

I agree on the gapless playback feature. It's something that itunes is lacking. I listen to a lot of live music as well as Pink Floyd - you don't want to listen to DARK SIDE OF THE MOON or THE WALL with gaps. The answer isn't to have the album on your ipod twice - that takes too much room. I don't understand why apple can't add this feature? it should just be a small line of code and a button. right?

andylane

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
Right click to check/uncheck multiple songs

I've had a "Check/Uncheck selected songs" applescript installed for a while now, but I notice that there's a similar option if you right-click songs now. Is this just an extension of the scripts menu somehow, or does everyone else see it too? If so, it makes checking and unchecking large groups of songs much easier.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
sammyjojo said:
I'm on my pc right now, but I'm sure this applies to the mac version also (installing as I type), but they added VBR to AAC importing!!! Prefs->advanced->importing->settings->custom, look for use vbr! :)

nice - I've been hoping for that!

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Damn, iTunes 5 looks realy clean and sexy. I believe Apple may change the look of Finder, QT, Safari and iChat and what is left with brushed metal to this new plastic look.

Is it just me or is the video playback in itunes much smoother?

neb_greely

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2003
Outlook synching

So what's this about Outlook/Outlook express synching on the PC? Has someone tried that?

That seems so odd to me - I wonder if this is a harbinger of things (iCal/Mail?) to come for windows. Could they be laying the groundwork for more crossover apps? Not sure how this would fit in with any business plan.

Incidentally, my 'next song' button is broken, it acts just like the 'back' button, repeating the same song forever. I've got an older version of synergy installed so testing to see if that's the problem.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
MacsRgr8 said:
Yeah, think so too.

BTW.. this new look of iTunes 5.... Think it will be a sneak preview of Leopard's new GUI design?

itunes has historically been a pre-cursor to new UI developments.

the flat aqua buttons, the gradient UI controls/control areas. spotlight.

Kavalier

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
DRM other cripples

Has anyone found any new DRM (Digital Rights Management) stuff snuck into this update? How about any other "cripples?"

I don't care about the look, but I use iTunes very specifically (legally) and need to know this stuff.

Thanks.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Jovian9 said:
But if you did care about music as much as some of us you would rip the album into one track and also have it seperated as multiple tracks also. All of my Eno, Vangelis, Miles, Boards of Canada, Classical, Floyd, Radiohead, Tortoise, Aphex Twin, etc. are done like this. B/C I care enough about music to give myself multiple choices. This IS a solution to the problem. I try not to rely on others to solve my problems.

I disagree completely. First, I don't want to waste double the disk space. There's no reason I should have to. Second, I want the freedom to skip a track in the middle of a gapless playback session if the urge suddenly strikes me. That doesn't usually happen, but I want that freedom, just like I have with any CD player. Finally, I want every time I listen to a song, gapless or not, to increment that song's play count and last-played time. This method will not do that, so it is unacceptable to me.

Like I've already said, the solution is easy. Apple has simply chosen to ignore it for no good reason.

Jovian9 said:
And if you REALLY care about music iTunes and the iPod are not your best means to listen to it anyway........you need to go high end with all your equipment. That means full quality cd's with a high end stereo system and a top of the line amplifier into some awesome headphones and speakers.

Again, I completely disagree. You're suggesting that I go audiophile, which I see as absolutely ridiculous. Every method of listening to music has an inherent loss to it (CDs truncate audio to a "mere" 16 bits of precision at 44.1 kHz, vinyl -- which audiophiles love -- has a horribly worse signal to noise ratio than CD, etc), but my real experience is that iTunes/iPod are perfectly acceptable given decent (not high end - those are for suckers) speakers or headphones and a quiet environment. I care about listening the music, not spending $100k to gratify my ego that my "golden ears" will be satisfied with the quality of audio reproduction (you can guess that my opinion of audiophiles is a low one). And to me, removing the gaps between tracks is vastly more important than squeezing out some tiny extra amount of audio "quality" that no human ears can distinguish in the first place.

Like we often say about many Apple products, the appeal is in the overall experience. For me and my listening preferences, that includes:

• All of my ~5,000 songs at my fingertips
  • Organizing my music into playlists, both manually and based on logical criteria (smart)
  • Find based on song title, album, artist, and metadata quickly
  • Good audio quality (not cheap, not over the top)
  • Several shuffle options, including album, song, and playlist shuffling
  • Seamless integration between my software jukebox and my portable device
  • Update metadata such as play count, last played time, etc for any song that's played
  • Play full albums without gaps between tracks
  • Ability to skip tracks when doing any of the above

That's what does it for me. Give me a system that meets all of those, I'm in heaven. Force me to work around any of them or simply don't provide some of them, and I'm a cranky old bastard. iTunes/iPod gives me all but the last two (and the one above them, when speaking of gapless playback). If gapless had never been done before, I wouldn't care (and if so, nobody would ever release an album that required it, so it'd be a moot point). But since it's been done in a much simpler device over 20 years ago, such that much available music depends on it, I feel like I have a right to complain. What bothers me so much is I know it's not that difficult. They just don't care.

Of course, Apple has no obligation to listen. But I will continue to actively search for a replacement if they continue to ignore this request (I'm not the only one). The first company that gives me all of the above points will get my business. Unfortunately all of Apple's competitors fall short in some of the other areas, so I continue to wait.

For you, your solution may be just fine, and I'm happy that it works for you. For me, I will continue to wait for whoever wants to attract my business with a better product.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
howard said:
unfortunately the playlist folders don't show up that way on the ipod like i was hoping.

maybe there will be an ipod update soon

do the nested folders appear on your ipod? or are the all just in alphabetical order still?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
andylane said:
I've had a "Check/Uncheck selected songs" applescript installed for a while now, but I notice that there's a similar option if you right-click songs now. Is this just an extension of the scripts menu somehow, or does everyone else see it too? If so, it makes checking and unchecking large groups of songs much easier.
Came with 4.9.

But still a nice feature... :)

gorkonapple

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
Columbus, OH
HUGE BUG!

Ok, so now I can include podcasts in my playlists. HOWEVER, I STILL cannot load a podcast with Autofill....HELLLLOOOO Apple! This is BOGUS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.