Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
GAPLESS PLAY:

This is how Apple can do it. Each song will be listed as normal single tracks - none of this join all songs as a single track junk. You then select the songs you want to join for gapless play and it's shown in itunes as some graphic - maybe it will be highlighted or underlined.

When you play these songs as an album in album order - they will be gapless.

When you play the songs in shuffle mood they will nolonger have gapless play.

Just my 2 cents. What do I know? I've been using itunes since day one and have been waiting for this feature since then.

Once they do this, they should add tabbed browing to ichat, but that's a whole other story.....

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Flux Harmonic said:
The installer is broooooooooken.

"Please quit iTunes before beginning this update."

Over, and over, and over.....

found it!

kill sizzling tunes and then install! maybe they should post that somewhere.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
wdlove said:
I just found out that I don't qualify according to the specifications. My Power Mac is a 450. :(

I have successfully installed it on a clamshell iBook (G3 233, I think) and it works fine, so the G3 500 minimum requirement may just be a recommendation. However, now AirPort seems to be broken. I'm thinking that may be a separate issue as I've just now lost AirPort on one of my cubes.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Bah

Nice, but doesn's solve either of the srupid, glaring pet peeves I've had:

- Why do I have to page through 500+ Music videos? Can't I please find them
in search?

- Why can't it get album art for imported CD's?

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Ewwweee!!!!!

It's friggin ugly!

Someone make a brushed metal or something other than the Windoze looking, plastic, CSS, square corner, Pre OS 9 skin on this thing.

Bad Beaver

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Jovian9 said:
And if you REALLY care about music iTunes and the iPod are not your best means to listen to it anyway........you need to go high end with all your equipment. That means full quality cd's with a high end stereo system and a top of the line amplifier into some awesome headphones and speakers.
Gapless playback would be a great bonus, but it's not a necessity.

Wake up & smell the coffee boy. Just because you don't use a 4digit$ DAC with AirTunes and Lossless in front of your top end amp, speakers, headphone amp, headphones doesn't mean that everyone else is still living in the 20th century, so stop telling people what they should care about in this regard. Gapless is ESSENTIAL. On iTunes as well as on iPod.

BTW, playlist folders, that's great, but does iTunes 5 also let you keep individial track's volume settings when burning a CD? Since the built-in volume normalizer is a dud (I don't want to hear it if you cannot even notice that it sounds like a wet sponge, consider yourself lucky) you have to use a quality solution such as mp3gain or iVolume or whatever, but iTunes would ignore the setting upon burning and you'd en up with a CD of probably very uneven volume levels.

Colman

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
Eeee. Square corners.

Getting rid of metal is good, but the squared corners are awful. If they'd matched it to Mail that'd be fine, but this is yet another look.

I'm tempted to report it as a bug.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
bankshot said:
I've said this many times before, but it always bears repeating...

This is really starting tp p*** me off. ....BLAH BLAH BLAH....

<SNIP>

Lighten up Francis.

Most people couldn't care less about, and for the other 1%, fading works fine.

No need to get so upset because your specific needs put you in too small of a bucket for Apple to care about.

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
DavidLeblond said:
I'm sure there is, but I used the dev tools. Just edit the NIB in Interface Builder, uncheck "textured" for the main window and check "Unified look and feel" (I think thats what it is, on a Windows box right now so I can't check)

I found a program called Safaricon that did the trick. But there are some errors with the hack - activated tabs appear a little strange, with that dotted line on top. Does it look the same for you?

gorkonapple

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
Columbus, OH
feakbeak said:
Agreed gorkonapple, I've been wanting this as well. I think it was a bug in 4.9 that got fixed in 5.0, not the other way around.

AND still want....if it's a podcast, my shuffle won't load it unless I drag the frickin thing to the shuffle's icon in the left pane. THIS SUCKS. At LEAST I can drag the podcast playlist icon to the shuffles icon and load them that way....heck of alot easier the iTunes 4.9 was....BUT it should NOT be this way.

What am I getting at? iTunes's Autofill function will not load a podcast on the shuffle. Try it. Create a play list where Podcast is true (this is NEW by the way) and now you have a smart play list with only podcasts in it. Now, click on the shuffle icon and select that playlist and click autofill....NOTHIN. Maybe I will have to get a nano after all. I STILL like iTunes 5 though.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Doesn't the iTunes icon change colour with each integer release?

Apple obviously likes the green quavers notes :D

Not much seems different with iTunes. The look is more Microsoft to me, but at least the refined width allows me to display more on my narrow screen.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
bankshot said:
I've said this many times before, but it always bears repeating...

This is really starting tp p*** me off. I browsed the new iTunes pages at apple.com and still found no mention of gapless playback. ....

[everything else you said]

There, that felt good. :D

Amen brother

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
iTunes 5 = Disappointing

Ugly.

And all my podcasts now appear in my smart playlists........ WTF?

I wonder if this is just a glitch with current playlists. I hope so. I have playlists like 'brand new', 'last 2 months', etc. I will have to alter them to exclude podcasts. How stupid.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
luminol said:
in what way was that at all confusing?
Haha, seriously. I think Mac mini sharing the 'mini' moniker with iPod mini was good branding. I do like the fact that the nano replaced the mini, and didn't just add another new line, although I'm not sure I like the fact that Apple no longer offers a 6 gig iPod for $249. $199 for 2 gigs might seem too expensive to people.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
Ahhh!,

I'm downloading it right now and its taking forever!! Its running at 2.5K per second!!!!!! I just did system update like 20 min ago and it downloaded at 500K a sec, so wtf? And it was surprising to em that iTunes 5 was not in system update..... Anyway the whole fricken world must be downloading it right now.......

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
BWhaler said:
Lighten up Francis.

No need to get so upset because your specific needs put you in too small of a bucket for Apple to care about.
Actually, I've also been waiting for this feature from day one. It's something that Apple could fix really easily. A surprising number of albums "flow" from one song to another and the fading is inadequate for this. The Join Tracks feature is no use.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
agentmouthwash said:
GAPLESS PLAY:
they should add tabbed browing to ichat, but that's a whole other story.....

Now THAT's a great idea, one that is long overdue.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
I read at the beginning of this topic that the iTunes installer asked to restart the system, but it didn't make me reboot. Should I do so anyway? I don't want to mess up anything :confused:

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
BWhaler said:
Lighten up Francis.

That's not a cool attitude about the feature. If it'll make audiophiles like myself and others happy, and if other apps can do it, then Apple should do it. iTunes should be the best.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Use the Search Bar

922 said:
- Why do I have to page through 500+ Music videos? Can't I please find them
in search?
I guess you haven't seen the search bar yet. Edit Show Search Bar. It allows you to search videos and booklets separate from podcasts, audiobooks and music. ;)

B

bensiebro

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2005
Shared Music Doesn't Work

Ever since the upgrade to 5.0, none of my computers are able to see others even though all of them are sharing their libraries. Apple always has to break something when they release something new. What happened?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.