Apple Releases iTunes 8.0.2

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 20, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has released an update to iTunes to version 8.0.2. The update is available in your Mac OS X software update.
    The update comes just one day ahead of the rumored release of iPhone Firmware 2.2.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 8.0.2

2. macrumors 6502

I hope the 2.2 firmware does come out tommorrow. But how much will it cost for ipod touch owners? iTunes 8.0.2 is also out for PC users

3. macrumors regular

I've been hoping for a snappy version of iTunes for quite some time. This is not it, but I've been wondering if Apple is going to clean up and speed up their bundled apps when Snow Leopard comes along. My iTunes practically needs a splash screen!

4. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just hope I don't have to pay another $10-$20. I'll run this update once Fusion finishes installing.

5. macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I hope this fixes some of the iTunes crashes I get when trying to sync my iPhone and iPod... it drives me nuts!

6. macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm hoping for iPhone 2.2. Also, when I sync'd to the new version of iTunes my backup for my iPhone 3G took all of 8 seconds.

7. Guest

Mac OS 10.5.6 with iPhone/iPod Touch 2.2 Software would be great. :D

8. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

As I know several people who use the VoiceOver feature on their Macs, I think it is sweet that Apple is improving functionality for this in iTunes.

9. macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Can anyone check to see if scroll-wheel volume adjustment in the MiniPlayer is active when the mouse is over any part of the player? iTunes 8.0 changed the behavior so that the it was just active over the volume slider... I'm waiting for them to change it back before upgrading. Thanks!

10. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

What quality issue with MP3's?

What issue are they talking about with creating MP3's on some computers?

I've never had a problem making MP3's on any of my computers. Are they now telling me that they would sound better if I had waited until this update to make my MP3's?

I hadn't had any complaints about the sound before. So, I'm not sure what they mean by quality issues.

11. macrumors 65816

Me too. iTunes is a pig. I have a large library (about 600 gigs), and the damn thing performs about as well as an old Ford Pinto.

12. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

My library is over 3TB—slug slow.

13. Guest

Does anybody notice any difference in anything? Sound quality? UI changes?
    60MB sounds big in a software update.

14. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

So far, all we have heard is that they are moving the search bar... Do simple UI change, and I am sure bug fixes galore as mobile safari is way buggy still.

15. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

Not really. The update isn't just the tweaked code—it is the full iTunes package if I'm not mistaken.

16. macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Considering it still has to cater to PPC Macs and Intel Macs, it's essentially doubling the code base AFAIK. This is where Snow Leopard will make the largest impact.

17. macrumors 6502a

heaven

wow, now that must be a nice music collection! :rolleyes:

18. macrumors member

MacMuttonchops

Hmm...Installed the update and now I'm getting a "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred (13008)."

Terrific.

19. macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

And videos too.

20. macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Honestly, I'm excited about wireless podcast updates. I've been wanting that since I got the iPod Touch. ( I hate having to pull out my MacBook Pro to simply update a podcast while at work.)

It works if you have it over the volume section. Feel free to update!

Maybe there is some uncompress audio? I know my 320kbps Beetles collection is in the 4gb range.

21. macrumors 68020

They're not going to stop updating iTunes for PPC just because Snow Leopard comes out and is Intel-only (assuming it actually is). Anyway, only the actual code has to be duplicated, which doesn't double the size, because all the other resources apply to both.

--Eric

22. macrumors member

iPhone syncs seem faster

it seems like the sync process is faster than before, about half the time.:)

23. macrumors newbie

iTunes diff

Something that is included in every iTunes update is an updated AppleMobileDeviceSupport. If you are technically savvy enough, you may be able to find any relevant differences between the old package and the new one.

Old: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...gF669p43QSmCz4nj/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.tar
    New: http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...4mYMWMQ3x6s7KCKx/AppleMobileDeviceSupport.tar

I also view this as lending some credence to the rumor of 2.2 (or 2.1.1) tomorrow. Perhaps MobileSafari will crash less?

24. macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I'm checking for updates for apps and it's stuck on "Accessing iTunes Store" for 10min+ I'm able to access the iTunes store normally, but I just can't check for app updates :/

25. macrumors newbie

Ringtones

It will be interesting to see if apple figured out how to stop people making ringtones for free through itunes....

Let's hope not!