Apple Releases iWork '09

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In addition to iLife '09, Apple announced a major revision to its iWork suite of applications. iWork '09 is available now for $79/single user and $99/family pack, or only $49 with the purchase of a new Mac. It begins shipping today.

Keynote
    New transitions, chart options. There's also a new Keynote Remote app for the iPhone and iPod touch to control Keynote wirelessly with video preview that changes depending on orientation.

Pages
    Full screen viewing of documents, dynamic outlines, and a new mail merge with Numbers, which can connect with tables and lists in Numbers. Pages will also offer integration with MathType and EndNote. Additionally, there's a new set of 40 themes coming with the app.

Numbers
    Table categories and 250 new functions will make things easier to understand.

iWork.com
    A beta of this will be announced soon - offering collaboration options for notifying other people that you've changed documents, and allow others to review and edit them online. This will be a fee-based service offered by Apple once iWork.com launches.

Since OS X 10.5.x is required to run the new iWork, Apple is also offering a package of OS X 10.5, iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $169. This "Mac Box Set" will ship in late January when iLife '09 ships.

Article Link: Apple Releases iWork '09

2. macrumors regular

The iPhone/Touch intigration is kinda cool. Too bad I won't ever use it being we're PC only here at work.

3. macrumors regular

FaustArp

Blah!..

Waste of my time. I didn't need these updates. Lets see new Minis or Mac Pro upgrades. The computers that really matter. Glad to see the iphone wasn't mentioned this time. Kind of tired of hearing about it.

4. macrumors 6502a

TDM21

5. macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

seems reasonable, interested to see the collaboration website. could be neat advancement. especially on keynote presentations for my work

6. macrumors regular

Then pay another $100 to update to Snow Leopard?

7. macrumors 68000

powers74

Macs

Don't worry guys, desktops will get their own event in a month or two!...

Right?...

8. macrumors 68020

awesome! I can pay for iwork.com or use google docs for free!! I wonder what I'll do!?!?

9. macrumors 6502a

So I guess the Mac Box set of Leopard+iLife09+iWork09 shipping in late January makes it less likely Snow Leopard will ship in Q1. Doesn't seem likely that they would release the box set only to replace it in a month.

10. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Downloading the trial now. Good new features all around. Can't wait to try the Keynote iPhone remote.

11. macrumors 6502

Right.....? Right..........?! RIGHT??!?!?!?! Please answer me :(

Haha, that's exactly how I feel :(

12. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Another bipolar update.

The new pages is nice, but I would have liked Apple to create their own equation editor rather than requiring a 3rd party product purchase.

Also not a fan of charging for iWork.com. A year's subscription should be included with the iWork 09 purchase.

Charging for the Keynote Remote is also a bit much.

13. macrumors regular

That was my thought. I might pony up for a boxed set of 10.6, iLife '09, and iWork '09. Otherwise, the Numbers '09 features will have to be very convincing (i.e., named ranges/cells).

14. macrumors newbie

No Pages editor for the iPhone? Come on Apple how hard is that.

15. macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Yeah that's what I'm hoping, that's the whole point of Apple leaving MacWorld ... according to their PR people at least.

Also, am I the only one that wants either a lot more new monitors, or a price drop on the current/old ones? Also adapters for DVI to the current new LED display would be nice slash practical ...

16. macrumors member

17. macrumors 6502

Did they finally manage to program in an Auto-Save?!!!

18. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I don't think I'll upgrade to this one. The iPhone feature is cool but I never use Keynote. I'm intrigued about the iLife suite though.

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

Doesn't seem like a major update but I'm an avid Pages user.

20. macrumors member

I've downloaded the trial and can't really see why I'd upgrade from iWork '08.

21. macrumors 6502a

Poll Smoker

They're going to charge .mac subscribers for iwork.com?

Charging for the Keynote remote app -- which needs be used with an Apple phone, using Apple software, on an Apple computer?

:rolleyes:

22. macrumors demi-god

/dev/toaster

Nope much :p

23. macrumors newbie

Some nice new features in Pages

Pages now has auto-correct options similar to Word.

24. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Downloading the trial. Looking forward to some of the new features in Numbers, esp. new graphing options. w/b interested to see if they fix the bugs.

25. macrumors member

I thought iWork.com worked on a PC?