Apple Releases Java Updates for Leopard and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apple today released a pair of Java updates targeting users of Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 2 (78 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.6.3)
    Minor additional information is available in Apple's associated support document. Apple has also documented the security issues fixed with the update.

- Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 7 (122 MB, Requires Mac OS X 10.5.8)
    Apple offers highlighted points of interest on the support document for the release. Details of the security issues addressed in the update are also available.

Article Link: Apple Releases Java Updates for Leopard and Snow Leopard

2. macrumors regular

beardboy

81.7MB for me.

3. macrumors regular

Cubert

Does anyone out there understand the Java versioning system?

4. macrumors member

What would be the hard part about understanding it?

5. macrumors 6502

dwman

Pardon the ignorant question, but what is Java used for these days anyway?

6. macrumors regular

I know that SPSS and/or PASW statistics uses it. It's quite annoying that every time they update I have to re-hack it to make it work again on 10.6.

7. macrumors regular

Its main niche is in server side services/applications. But it's used everywhere from mobile app devel (Android) to desktop apps

8. macrumors 68030

RaceTripper

I use it to develop mechanical structural engineering tools used on multi-million dollar projects.

9. Editor emeritus

longofest

This is impressive for Apple. Previously, they've gotten really bad about Java security updates, sometimes going months before passing the update down to consumers. This time it only went about 1 month.

Business: Many large businesses and governments use Java in back-end environments (JMS or as the processor for a web service using JDBC).

Mobile: a ton of games/apps out there for other platforms other than iPhone OS

Other: Bluray movie content is encoded using Java.

10. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Seems to have gone ok for me.

11. macrumors newbie

A lot of desktop apps are java based these days even if you don't realize about it. OpenOffice and Eclipse come to mind. Sun's JVM runtime has got really good in the last few years in terms of speed, so you've got not only java apps but many other (scripting) languages running on top of the java VM.

12. macrumors 603

Stella

Glad apple haven't forgotten Java. It'll be a long time until we see Java7 - thats if Apple can be bothered - otherwise there is the Open Java.

I'm still wondering why on Earth Apple chose to delete Java 5 on Snow Leopard when upgrading from Leopard? People still need Java 5.

13. macrumors 68030

RaceTripper

Install jdk5 on Snow Leopard. I just ran this again with the new update.

14. macrumors newbie

15. macrumors 601

At this moment, it's not Apple you should be worrying about. It's Oracle. There's a lot of confusion now about both Solaris and Java, Oracle isn't doing anything to clear it up right now.

16. macrumors member

I develop a Java-based desktop application for the mining industry on my Mac and the customer runs it on both Windows (primary) and MacOS.

17. macrumors 603

Stella

I've long since installed Java 5, but why Apple why - remove Java 5? Java 5 is still widely used!

18. macrumors 68030

RaceTripper

Yeah, I've been stumped by that decision too. I still support a Java app that runs with Java 5 on a unix server. I can't move it to Java 6 until the server does.

19. macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Ummm...

Any reason why after I updated my boot HD was renamed to this: ][poj\][po=-09uyv 0

[​IMG]

Very odd. I have AppleCare so I might as well start flexing it!

System: Mac Pro, 2.8ghz 8-Core, 10.6.3

20. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

That's peculiar...

Why is Java 1.6 available only for 64 bit systems on Leopard 10.5, but available for both 32 bit and 64 bit systems on Snow Leopard 10.6?

This doesn't make sense; is it just another Apple "WTF moment"?

21. macrumors newbie

Google Chrome

I can now use Java in Google Chrome!!! :-D

22. macrumors 65816

Why doesn't this update show up under Software Update?

23. macrumors regular

My whole computer is running really slow and I'm getting a bunch of beach balls - it was like that at all before the update. I can't run safari or pages for 2 minutes before they freeze up. I'm repairing permissions right now so hopefully that will fix the issue.

24. macrumors member

I don't think you need to worry about the future of Java. It's the jewel in the Sun crown and I would guess the main thing Oracle were after with the takeover. Oracle have always been strongly into Java.

25. macrumors 68030

Winni

The very best FTP/SFTP client for Mac OS X, CyberDuck, (www.cyberduck.ch) is written in Java. I admit that this application is a rare exception since Java never really made it to the consumer desktop. Most of the other Java software probably doesn't concern you, since it's mostly business/enterprise related or used for academic/scientific/engineering purposes.