Apple Releases Leopard 9A466 (WWDC Build) to ADC Members

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 2, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is finally seeding the WWDC version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to online ADC members (Select or Premier). Previously, the most recent version of Leopard was only available to developers who attended WWDC.

[​IMG]

Apple previewed a "feature complete" version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) at WWDC and demonstrated many of the new Leopard features, including new Desktop, Finder, Quicklook, Time Machine, Spaces and more.

The version being distributed is the exact same build as the one distributed on DVD to WWDC members. Leopard is expected to be released in October of this year.

2. macrumors 6502a

Leopard needs liquid scrolling like the iphone.

3. macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

hmmm...i was going to torrent it, but i didn't want to make my desktop any less secure and my laptop would run out of battery way to fast...remember guys it's 6GB of torrenting you're looking at....LOOOONNNNG TIIIIIMMMME

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

awesome! do these members get access to the server version as well?

5. macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yep, that's up too. I'm downloading the non-server version now. YAY! :) Hopefully it's stable enough to run and develop on.

6. macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

how do you install it? would i have to get rid of my current os with all my apps?

7. macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't really care all that much, but I'm just happy to see something other than iPhone related things on the front page! :D

8. macrumors member

Directory / Directory Utility ?

I have a question for anyone using the Leopard beta:

Apple has stated during Tiger that NetInfo is a legacy technology that they intend to move away from... and from a screenshot of the utilities folder in Leopard i see that NetInfo Manager application is no longer included... it appears to have been replaced with the Directory & Directory Utility applications.

So my questions are:

1. Where can the Root user be enabled in the GUI ? It used to be enabled via NetInfo, can it be done from one of these Directory applications ?

2. I like to move my home folder to a second internal HD. NetInfo was the easiest way for me to do this using the GUI... how can this be done in Leopard ? again can it be done using one of the Directory applications ?

3. A more general question to anyone who knows a bit about the subject - What if any new features have been added to Networking and Directory like applications to make Leopard more compatible with windows based network environments ?

9. macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

I couldn't agree more! Here's to Leopard!

10. macrumors P6

Peace

It's about frackin time..Better late than never though I suppose.:)

11. macrumors 65816

maverick808

No, but you can sudo passwd in terminal.

12. macrumors 6502a

Finally!

Downloading now. It's been very difficult not to grab this from an "alternative source" over the past few weeks. :D

13. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's natural to be curious, but this isn't a good place to ask for details. People who should have access to the software would be painting big red targets on themselves for breaking their NDAs, and people who shouldn't have the software would be painting equally big red targets on themselves for swiping it.

14. macrumors newbie

I can see why they dropped "computer"

Me too. It would be great to hear some Apple news about the Macs. I for one and looking for some iMac updates.

15. macrumors regular

how can u sudo, if there is no root ?

16. macrumors newbie

iMac like iPhone

Imagine a 'swoosh" tablet like design w/a 20 - 24" footprint that lays horizontal on your desk with all the capabilities of the iPhone. No external keyboard or mouse. So clean and logical...the next step?

17. macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

there would be a rise of back/neck problems due to looking down at it and using it

18. macrumors regular

Party time! Time to play with the new UI and figure out what versions of integrated software they have included to get work's network ready for October.

19. macrumors member

Yes i totally agree... and there's 300 more interesting questions i could have asked lol but the question about moving the home folder inparticular is something that im really curious about. Surely someone could tell me if it is still easy to do using the GUI - without necessarily revealing any unreleased features ? ;)

(well how could you respect me if i didnt try ?! lol :p )

20. macrumors member

Theres always a Root user in a unix OS and u can always enable the root password using the Terminal (CLI), but in Tiger you could also enable it using the GUI with the NetInfo Manager application... this was the easiest way for some users.

21. macrumors 68000

lamina

When they use the word "seed", do they mean that Apple releases a private torrent to developers?

22. macrumors newbie

iMac like iPhone

Funny, that's the problem I get with the current vertical screen. Also consider that we all still read & write in a horizontal format...very comfortable for me.

23. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I can tell you from virtually all of the applications I use, taking up precious screen space with input devices is not cool. I enjoy being able to visualize everything as I manipulate them when I am doing design work. I enjoy using a Cintiq on occasion, but after 8 hours of staring down and moving a pen, I'm exhausted. I could model in Maya for days with my mouse and nothing more.

The logical step for portable computers is to make them lighter, faster, longer running, more durable and more compatable with wireless syncing features. A tablet I have to get vertigo and tired using is not the future but more a pipe dream as many tablet makers have learned the hard way. However, a device that is like a large iPhone with a manipulative screen for people with disabilities is a real possiblity.

24. macrumors newbie

How?

Can someone explain how you exactly can do this?

I logged in with my itunes account and it let me in.

What do i do next??

25. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

u have to have a adc account....that costs 1grand